Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4100 miles road trip in M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just completed a round trip from Dallas to Seattle in my M3P. With autopilot activated at 85 mph wherever I can, the overall consumption is 287 wh/mile which is actually lower than I have expected. Since electrify america offered complementary charging recently, I tried to use that as much as I can and saved a couple hundred dollars. Probably won't drive over 900 miles a day anymore until it allows me to sleep while driving.

You need to download the Electrify America app. I believe the free charging is over but it is still cheaper than most super chargers.
I second Everwalker's suggestion. Furthermore, if you plan on using one or more EA stations during your trip you should sign-up for the + program (four bucks a month). You can cancel as soon as you wish, so it's not a "scam" to grab your $4 dollars indefinitely!

The app is pretty good. Just fiddle with it a bit until your are comfortable with the options. On your phone you will see where the EA stations are located, if they are in use, when last used, etc.

Rich

I have just completed a round trip from Dallas to Seattle in my M3P. With autopilot activated at 85 mph wherever I can, the overall consumption is 287 wh/mile which is actually lower than I have expected. Since electrify america offered complementary charging recently, I tried to use that as much as I can and saved a couple hundred dollars. Probably won't drive over 900 miles a day anymore until it allows me to sleep while driving.

How was the EA charger reliability for you? Hopefully, not too bad.

How was the EA charger reliability for you? Hopefully, not too bad.
I have to say they are not even close to the reliability of Tesla superchargers. Most of the charging station are not fully functional and there are usually only 4 chargers at each station (and only one or two 350kw chargers). If one is down and the other is taken, then you are out of luck.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
I have to say they are not even close to the reliability of Tesla superchargers. Most of the charging station are not fully functional and there are usually only 4 chargers at each station (and only one or two 350kw chargers). If one is down and the other is taken, then you are out of luck.
That's my experience as well. I do a twice year AZ~Cape Cod~AZ run and like to use EA whenever possible (with the adapter of course!) as I add each trip as an additional chapter in my book on EVs (to keep people current on the charging infrastructure they will find on the road).

I "think" EA is getting better, but the company has a way to go yet. I understand they are doing a major overhaul of their system at the moment, so, who knows?!?

Rich

Were you on your stock 20' rims? If so, damn thats good.