Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$45 MyQ Subscription

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I have the $45 subscription. There is a 30 day free trial so I'll see how it goes. So far, the door didn't close when I initially drove away but I was able to close it from the screen at the end of the block. When I returned, it did open automatically. We'll see how it goes. I had gotten MyQ a while ago when Amazon had some sort of a special and if was $15 or so. It actually works pretty good. Then I found out that it allowed an Amazon delivery option where the delivery person would put the packages in the garage. That works great for me as I don't have an entryway and any packages left are in the open. After the 3rd delivery, Amazon gave me a $5 credit for using it three times. I didn't want to pay $400 for Homelink and this may be a reasonable alternative. I think it is a nice feature and I commend Tesla for their continuing updates. That process has a lot of value to me.

That's not true, either. Mine works fine on both of my house's myq doors without a subscription. Maybe because I have a home link
It's very true. Activate MyQ through the Tesla screen and try to use it without a subscription. Homelink is completely different. The MyQ feature through the Telsa screen does not require any additional equipment to be purchased (Homelink). Homelink uses radio frquency to communicate with your garage door (not MyQ). Your garage doors may be MyQ enabled but Homelink does not communicate via wifi.

Anyone who activated the MyQ service in the Tesla and didn't already have a subscription to it got a free 30 day trial. After the 30 days it will be $45 a year. If you didn't give them payment details the sub will end and you won't be charged! MyQ tried this once before with IFTTT and Google but everyone had a fit because you could connect Alexa, HomeAssistant, Nest, and Xfinity to it for FREE! hopefully we all ban together and petition MyQ to take the stupid sub away! But my IT mind says it's not going to happen and someone has to pay for the servers to stay on so why not us filthy rich tesla drivers!

It's very true. Activate MyQ through the Tesla screen and try to use it without a subscription. Homelink is completely different. The MyQ feature through the Telsa screen does not require any additional equipment to be purchased (Homelink). Homelink uses radio frquency to communicate with your garage door (not MyQ). Your garage doors may be MyQ enabled but Homelink does not communicate via wifi.
Point is, I have 2 garages on myQ via wifi and 0 subscriptions. Both have worked fine in the MY since the rollout.

Reactions: mspohr
Circling back, I did try to sign up for the 30-day FREE trial but at the end of the process, I noticed they would then charge me the $179 for 5 years. I didn't see the option for the annual or $45 subscription, so I closed the app.

I may try again and take more time to read the screens, maybe I missed the $45 option.

Point is, I have 2 garages on myQ via wifi and 0 subscriptions. Both have worked fine in the MY since the rollout.
Because you have homelink. Your Tesla does not communicate with them via WiFi. Your garage doors don’t operate through MyQ with your Tesla. They have likely worked with your Tesla since you got it, much before myq was rolled out in Teslas. Just because you have a MyQ app on your phone with no subscription is irrelevant to this discussion.

Circling back, I did try to sign up for the 30-day FREE trial but at the end of the process, I noticed they would then charge me the $179 for 5 years. I didn't see the option for the annual or $45 subscription, so I closed the app.

I may try again and take more time to read the screens, maybe I missed the $45 option.
The only mention of the $45 1 year is on the MyQ website and none of the buttons are active and it says to check back later this month. Also points you to MyQservices.com to subscribe before the trial is up which requires you to have a login. Maybe check there instead of through the car but it is entirely possible they dropped the 1 year option.
1672329385424.png

Because you have homelink. Your Tesla does not communicate with them via WiFi. Your garage doors don’t operate through MyQ with your Tesla. They have likely worked with your Tesla since you got it, much before myq was rolled out in Teslas. Just because you have a MyQ app on your phone with no subscription is irrelevant to this discussion.
Is it though? If the OP Has Homelink installed...

MyQ and siri work great, no need to pay for something that should already be free.
What's next, a subscription to be able to use the Air conditioner? Seriously, it's getting out of hand. It isn't the price, I mean if we can afford these cars then we should be ok to pay these subscriptions, right? Nah, it's the principle for me. Many have found alternate ways around these things that work, like Car Play. $45 to do what a button does is a complete ripoff. Luckily MyQ works very well. Just say "Hey Siri, open /close garage door" and it's as easy as that, for free..