Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$47,500 Tesla MX 90d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, not selling.

I had an Infiniti QX60 I needed to offload and so was seeing if trading both would be entertaining to upgrade to a 100D. Ended up selling the QX60 to Carmax.

CPO MX 90Ds are going for between 68-76K depending on options (right at KBB). In my example, they're looking at a 7% margin on the Infiniti and 35% margin on a Tesla (according to KBB).

They're also sort of cannibalizing themselves by deflating the resale value of their own brand and creating less demand for new cars.

I agree that Tesla's strategy on trade-ins is difficult to figure out. At various times in the past I asked for trade-in values on my Roadster and both of our Model S, and all four times the amount they offered was ridiculously low.

However, they talked me in to upgrading my 3 RWD to a P3D by making a very high offer (enough that, financially speaking, the 3 RWD never happened). It only had 2k miles whereas the other cars had far more, so perhaps that is the issue - they only want to re-sell low mile cars?

But even if so, why do they often offer less than they can get just re-selling to somebody like CarMax? The only explanation that makes sense to me is...because they can. Perhaps enough people take them up on the deal that they come out better financially than if they offered more, and got more people like you and I to trade in? I don't have the numbers to say this is the case; it's just a guess.

Plus, while owners upgrading is obviously a great thing for Tesla, it is probably less important that an existing owner upgrade now (heck, we know they'll upgrade later, right?) than to get an existing ICE driver in to the brand.

It's because Tesla wholesales other makes of cars, but resells the Teslas themselves. Tesla just needs to accept and embrace other used car dealers selling their cars and base Tesla trade-ins off wholesale prices. You have been better off trading the Infinity in to Tesla with a wholesale offer and selling the X to Carvana, Vroom or Carmax.