Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48 amp setup for level 2 charger. Does this look correct?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello and please forgive my lack of electrical knowledge. I just noticed that it appears that I have 50 amp breaker when I see I may need 60 for full charging capability. I have included a photo of my charger/panel for reference. Will pick up our car on Thursday.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

IMG_1348.jpeg
IMG_1349.jpeg
IMG_1350.jpeg

Nope. That is maximum 40A Level 2 charging.

Odds are that you would need new wiring if you wanted to upgrade from a 50A to a 60A circuit. But the great news is that it is a short PVC run, so it would be super easy to pull new wire in that.

Unless you specifically asked for 48 amp as part of the install, I would offer a side note that there's not much need for the nominal 8 more amps vs what you have. We have 48 and 40's here and its pretty close to a wash between the two on an overnight charging variance (if I were asked to compare the two).

Unless you specifically asked for 48 amp as part of the install, I would offer a side note that there's not much need for the nominal 8 more amps vs what you have. We have 48 and 40's here and its pretty close to a wash between the two on an overnight charging variance (if I were asked to compare the two).
Thats good to know - Thank you:)

I just spoke to electrician and he says they were supposed to install a 60 amp. He is sending someone tomorrow to swap it. I appreciate the input from the forum.

When you get your 60A breaker (just double check and ask the electrician if he used 6 gauge wires), you’ll have to commission your Wall Connector using the instructions in the manual to tell it you have a 60A breaker. You only have to do that once.

Hi @notouchie123, good advice on this thread. One thing I wanted to mention is about the title. Your situation is considered Level 2 charging at home, not Level 3. Some people refer to DC Fast charging in public as Level 3, but that really is a misnomer according to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) - they would call that DC Level 1 or DC Level 2 (but I think Level 3 is okay when referring to public DC Fast charging). Just thought I'd mention it for your information...Here is a link to the SAE charging page on wikipedia...

[Moderator note: Thread title updated to indicate level 2 charging]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jjrandorin
It would be safer if the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector could not be put into service without first confirming the circuit rating while completing the setup process.
Isn’t that what actually happens? Someone else in another thread found that he couldn’t charge from his Wall Connector until he went through the setup process. I think when the person up thread said it defaulted to 60A he meant when you do the initial setup, it defaults to 60A?

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Hi @notouchie123, good advice on this thread. One thing I wanted to mention is about the title. Your situation is considered Level 2 charging at home, not Level 3. Some people refer to DC Fast charging in public as Level 3, but that really is a misnomer according to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) - they would call that DC Level 1 or DC Level 2 (but I think Level 3 is okay when referring to public DC Fast charging). Just thought I'd mention it for your information...Here is a link to the SAE charging page on wikipedia...

Aha, maybe it’s a 3rd generation wall charger - vs Level 3 charging. Thanks for clarification