Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$4k-$6k for all new suspension on 2016.5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi team,

Got quoted $5k for a full suspension replacement for my 2016.5 MS. Reasonable? Madness?
Typical for the SC. Get an independent mechanic quote. This is essentially Mercedes style suspension and is all available aftermarket. I replaced every arm and four struts on my S for $1100 in parts. Once done, it is like a brand new car in most cases.

OEMs always have high prices
Whats the reason for full replacement?
Its rare that everything fails at the same time
To save even more u can get used OEM parts on eBay n DIY or have 3rd party replace
But i'm biased towards replace only whats broken...

OEMs always have high prices
Whats the reason for full replacement?
Its rare that everything fails at the same time
To save even more u can get used OEM parts on eBay n DIY or have 3rd party replace
But i'm biased towards replace only whats broken...
Tesla has a bulletin for China to replace all the arms because they were prone to breakage at the ball joints. I had this happen to my 2017 90D. That motivated me to replace everything in my 2014's and 2015. Also the bushings wear due to age.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
Tesla has a bulletin for China to replace all the arms because they were prone to breakage at the ball joints. I had this happen to my 2017 90D. That motivated me to replace everything in my 2014's and 2015. Also the bushings wear due to age.

Ah, that bulletin is global, not just China. The early Fore and Mid lower control arms had a weak casting that can break randomly. Those parts are available from aftermarket providers for like 1/3 the price of a Tesla unit....You should be able to redo the entire front for less than $1k. For the rear, you need rear lower control arms, also available aftermarket.

The strut assembly is not included in that bulletin, though. You don't need to replace those unless you just want to.

Ah, that bulletin is global, not just China. The early Fore and Mid lower control arms had a weak casting that can break randomly. Those parts are available from aftermarket providers for like 1/3 the price of a Tesla unit....You should be able to redo the entire front for less than $1k. For the rear, you need rear lower control arms, also available aftermarket.

The strut assembly is not included in that bulletin, though. You don't need to replace those unless you just want to.
1711062972137.png

This is the China related info I was referencing. They never did this for any other market. LOL regarding China's "unique driving environment".