Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5-seat option will delay your Model X until mid-year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two theory's working about this, the first is Tesla should have had Model X vehicle in the showroom early on. The second is that they did not want to generate more orders that they could not fill. Now we hear they are desperate for confirmations, why would they think that the majority of potential buyers would spend $100,000 without seeing the vehicle. I confirmed my X without really seeing one (not counting the reveal) because I knew I would eventually get to see one somewhere before I took deliver and was fairly sure I will buy no matter what. There are really only two items that I do not like, the fact that the 2nd row does not fold down and the spoiler is fixed.

It happens for sure, I just can't think of it happening on quite this scale before? And yes I agree it makes good business sense.....but for me it is the sign of a company under quite some time pressure and financial stress.

Clearly the nice, honourable, respectful way to treat customers that put down deposits 3 years ago, and gave you blind reservations (that allowed you to plan a business and raise funding), would be to service them in the order of their reservations. We are all big enough and ugly enough to understand business and the need for profits......but this move for me doesn't sit very well with the tree-hugger image that E.M. and the company try and portray. It's not exactly Mr. Nice Guy

It surely cannot be THAT hard to roll out a P90D or a 90D or a 70D - they have experience with this on the S. So it is JUST about the money.

Tesla is running out of cash plus they promised investors that Model X will have higher average sales price. Tesla is not a charity for one and two, they need all the cash to start-up Gigafactory and Model 3. Company survival depends on it.

So another month has passed since dreaming of the 5 seat variants being produced. We have entered mid-2016 and I don't see any VIN assignments for 5 seaters, so what's your take? 5-seaters will or won't be produced? Will be upgraded to 6-7 seats like 70D orders were upgraded to 75D gratis? Will 5 seaters see the light of day in Q2 or Q3 or Tesla-time sometime in 2016? I just need to know when they will start to produce these 5 seaters, as I'm growing tired of those behind me in sequence number and order confirmation still getting their P90 or 90D's in the 6-7 seat range before TM even starts to push out the 5 seat versions. Anyone agree or care to add their 2 cents?

So another month has passed since dreaming of the 5 seat variants being produced. We have entered mid-2016 and I don't see any VIN assignments for 5 seaters, so what's your take? 5-seaters will or won't be produced? Will be upgraded to 6-7 seats like 70D orders were upgraded to 75D gratis? Will 5 seaters see the light of day in Q2 or Q3 or Tesla-time sometime in 2016? I just need to know when they will start to produce these 5 seaters, as I'm growing tired of those behind me in sequence number and order confirmation still getting their P90 or 90D's in the 6-7 seat range before TM even starts to push out the 5 seat versions. Anyone agree or care to add their 2 cents?
I'm not so sure that they've built any of the 5-seaters yet, but I would be very surprised if they don't ever build them. Some folks really want the extra storage room of a 5-seater. BTW, "mid-year" in Tesla time probably ends in September (don't shoot the messenger).

I would imagine that they will probably allow folks to switch over to a 6 or 7-seater with no penalty once there are 5-seaters available to look at (or at least see renderings of). But I really doubt they would offer a 6-seat upgrade for free. Has anyone even seen a rendering of a 5 seat Model X yet (or better yet, one in the flesh)?

In a recent communication from Tesla they said my 5 seater was still "Mid 2016" delivery. If I pay to upgrade to a 6 or 7 seat configuration, delivery would be faster. I actually don't mind waiting if it means a solidly built car with the production issues resolved. Financially for me I lease my car through my business and this will replace my current leased car but that lease doesn't finish until 12/2017. For some time I'll pay the cheaper lease post tax and the longer my Tesla gets delayed, the less dual leases I'll have to pay.

I agree with both of you that 5 seater will arrive, and could be on TT by 9/30/16, which is fine by me, as I would like all the kinks worked out with current deliveries. Plus, I might not have to wait for my sun shade! I have not seen any news of renderings or how 5 seat would look from the trunk area, but welcome anyone's news that I haven't seen.

Modelxtracker shows a Chicagoan with a 5 seat VIN assigned on tax day. Asked Darryl to confirm, but this may be the beginning of the 5 seat roll out. I still have no VIN, but if accurate posting by whomever, this is the beginning of mid-2016 deliveries for 5 seaters. Keeping fingers crossed (forearms too in an X-shape) that 5 seaters are going to start showing up while 6-7 seaters get 3rd row latches fixed...

Reactions: retinaguy
They'll easily absorb the $500 change fee @dsmeagle but no chance they'll waive the $4000 USD upgrade fee for the mechanicals that make a 6-7 seat different from 5 seater. Think of all them cow hides they need for the extra seating, plus the Freon and compressors for the extra HVAC system. No way they'll waive that fee.

They'll easily absorb the $500 change fee @dsmeagle but no chance they'll waive the $4000 USD upgrade fee for the mechanicals that make a 6-7 seat different from 5 seater. Think of all them cow hides they need for the extra seating, plus the Freon and compressors for the extra HVAC system. No way they'll waive that fee.

I agree and hope they don't. Once word gets out they'd have so many issues, I opted for the six over five just so we could get ours in a timely manner. I heard a rumor that they delayed it again and are aiming for November but that's a long shot.

If anyone got information about the five seat configuration from a DS, ignore it.

This is mid July 2016

Nothing. No official word. Rumors , speculations, or whatever.

Believe only actual confirmed Corporate communications.

Since there is no official word. Whoops

Had a call from TM today updating me on anticipated production schedule for 5 seaters. They hope to start production in December (2016 I hope, didn't ask) and foresee first deliveries in Jan. No vins assigned for 5 s to date. Would not commit on folding 2nd row. Would not give me a 7 s for the same price as 5 s, but would waive the $500 change fee. No dice I'm sticking it out.

They seem to be pretty pushy about trying to get me upgraded to 6 or 7 seater (3 emails and a phone call).
I wish they would have been as responsive a few months ago where they would not even reply to my email.

I am staying with 5 seater mostly because I am not in a hurry as I have just traded my 2014 GLS450 into a 2017 and felt like
I got a good deal for trade in (and lots of room for cargo).

I really want an SUV and hoping the 5-seater X will have room. Might consider the 6 seater if I am desperate enough in early 2017.

If Tesla would allow to switch to S model I might do it but I think I would loose my 5k deposit?