Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 seater but adding the 3rd row seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We purchased our 5 seater brand new and wished we went with a 7 seater. I purchased a 3rd-row seat from eBay and plan on installing it myself!

I have a good relationship with the local SC hoping i dont have to program anything.

As tempting as it is, I think this is a terrible idea. Especially if you plan on putting your child back there.

Best case scenario; 3rd row vents are all you're missing. But I would guess the wiring needed for heated seats, weight sensors, lights, etc. may not function w/o programming.

Technically, your car would also no longer be street legal. As safety equipment is modified (ie, seatbelts for 3rd row) or non functional (weight detection for seat belt warnings) and that's only the immediate known. Hopefully that doesn't have any type of impact on airbag deployment; or if Tesla has a production change that adds bracing for 3rd row vehicles as they did for Rear Facing Seats in a Model S.

Think I remember that there were additional structural supports added when you configured with 3rd. row of seats. Maybe something to do with crash safety.

Believe that Tesla would sometimes add these supports after the fact when installing 3rd. row. Not sure if it is still done, as lots of small changes have been made to structure over the years.

Think I remember that there were additional structural supports added when you configured with 3rd. row of seats. Maybe something to do with crash safety.

Believe that Tesla would sometimes add these supports after the fact when installing 3rd. row. Not sure if it is still done, as lots of small changes have been made to structure over the years.
This is true in the Model S, but I do not know about the Model X. The MS 3rd row was a rear-facing child seat very close to the rear bumper, and the extent of the additional structural strengthening was a stiffer bumper assembly.

Reactions: smallens
What many have said already, dont think its possible or as easy as you think. Trade your car in for a seven seater, or keep it And too bad for your daughter. This is why we bought a seven seater, didn't need it a t the time but you never know....

We purchased our 5 seater brand new and wished we went with a 7 seater. I purchased a 3rd-row seat from eBay and plan on installing it myself!

I have a good relationship with the local SC hoping i dont have to program anything.

Any update on adding the third row to your 5 seater, Matt_3 or anybody? Either at a Service Center or DIY?

I have a 2017 5 seater but would LOVE to find somewhere to retrofit the third row in correctly and replace my current bench seats. I have searched Google and the forums but haven't found any positive results-- but rather its simply not doable.

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations or advice welcomed. Located in Seattle. Thanks

Reactions: smallens