Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5K/week pushed back to Q2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I'm not convinced. They lost that range overnight, but I bet the range lost was the energy needed to warm the battery before driving again. The loss after a day or 5 days could easily be exactly the same. As you say, more people need to chime in with their data.

Right, and it's not necessarily indicative of the actual state of charge of the battery, since the range calculation takes conditions into account. I.e. cold soaked at below freezing for hours.

In fact, $7.5K credit (plus $5K CO) makes this purchase so much more attractive right now, b/c it will offset many years of price decreases that are expected due to improved efficiency etc.

YES! Finally somebody understands what actual impact the tax credits have! I've found the unicorn!

It also allows to consider additional features such as LR or AP, which otherwise could be bypassed.

Might have spoken too soon. Can you explain to me what impact the tax credit will have on your situation specifically? How will it make LR or AP an available consideration to you? What does the tax credit do to your situation exactly? I've seen lots of people talking about this like it's some kind of reduction of the cost of the car, or a lowering of the payments, and it's just not. So I'm wondering how this works for you.

I haven't seen M3 yet, just collecting info from topics here.

I think what's happening here is you're seeing the contrast between factual reporting of issues with the car compared to the rabid pro- or anti-tesla nonsense that gets posted everywhere. So it seems almost jarring when you read it. You You has said at every stop that the Model 3, even with its flaws, is still the car to buy. Alex Roy's article, in my opinion, hits the nail on the head even better. And they both point out that the majority of the problems they've experienced have been software related.

Regardless, you need to see the car before you take what some stranger says as truth. There are way too many people on the Internet trying to get ad views for you to just assume they aren't completely bullshitting you.

I would rather remember. But w/o reading the forum I would not be aware that the risk exists. We would need more info to better understand the impact of this - like what temperature results in what charge losses. And maybe change our behavior a bit and use Uber for trips to airports rather than leave your car there.

This right here, folks! This is the key concept people! Owners need to be educated, so they know that range is reduced in winter, and that batteries naturally drain, or that extreme cold will prevent regen or charging from working at all until the pack is warm. These things must be taught to bEV owners, or they're going to think these things are junk. We don't expect a diesel driver will just know that it can be too cold to start a diesel engine without glow plugs and treated fuel oil. Why would we expect bEV owners to just magically know the risks of parking for extended periods in extremely cold temperatures?

RE: instructions, I cannot say for sure what happens in all these scenarios, but from watched videos of construction zones there were no instructions or warnings - AP crashed into a concrere barrier that gradually encroached onto the lane and was going to run over the cones closing the lane if the driver didn't change the lanes.

The specific incident you're talking about has already been trained into the computer, so it's not much of a concern anymore. That was almost 2 years ago now, I think, and the landscape is moving very fast.

Regardless, the instructions I'm talking about are Tesla's warning that drives must be ready to take control at any time. That's not some off-hand warning, as you can see from the Model S crash in the Texas construction zone. If you don't follow instructions, that's not Tesla's fault, it's your own. The owners manual goes over this, and I believe at one point at least, the display told drivers to be ready to take over.

If you set cruise control on your ford to 100MPH and get at ticket, that's your fault. At the end of the day, the operation of the vehicle is your responsibility, and if you're not paying attention even when autopilot is engaged, that's negligent operation here in the US. That makes anything that happens your fault.

Which means you can't really trust it and remove your attention from the road for long.

You are not supposed to remove your attention from the road! Ever! They even force you to keep your hands on the wheel. I'm not sure how much more obvious they can make this, but I guarantee some dim person is going to cause a huge fatal accident and ruin it for the rest of us.

Maybe this will only be possible with FSD

Yeah. Because that's Full Self Driving.

It seems though as many people are having similar issues - maps glitching, lost sound, some UI inefficiencies like hidden "following distance" setting... makes you wonder why they haven't addressed this since July.

They have been addressing these issues. One by one, some of these bugs are being closed and released to the vehicles.

Honestly, I don't even need a car that much. We have 2013 and 2014 ICEs we bought new that I expect to last many more years. But this car is a cool gadget and also a chance to make an impact on the environment(in a positive sense), so I want to switch to it for the most part maybe except some long road trips. And if I really like it, maybe replace ICEs with other EVs few years down the road.

It's not at all a positive impact on the environment to have two nearly new cars, and replace one with a bEV. You are better off having your efficient vehicles, driving them for as long as you can, maintaining them fully so they continue to operate at peak efficiency, and then selling them to another owner when you're done and ready to replace.

You aren't saving the planet by spending money on something cool.

I think it is a big deal.
If Apple forecasted building and selling 50m iPhones in 2018... But only produced 25 million. It would be a catastrophe.

This exact thing literally happened to Apple year after year. Shortages and manufacturing delays plagued iPhones, Mac products, and accessories. Most recently, AirPods were delayed several months. That was just last year. Their stock price is doing just fine. And nobody but the people waiting in line and people short on Apple thought "catastrophe" was striking. Hell, I hate the iPhone, but I recognize people love the product, and they're loyal to the brand. That doesn't count much for traditional companies, but in this insane age of whatever tech nonsense we're in the midst of, it seems to count for quite a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: preilly44
The fix was in for Julia.

Here is the summary of a review by Motor Trend's Kim Reynolds on July 28, 2017:
Have I ever driven a more startling small sedan? I haven’t. At speed, it gains a laser-alertness I haven’t encountered before. By happenstance, associate road test editor Erick Ayapana had penciled me into a 2.0-liter Alfa Romeo Giulia to get here, and it feels like a wet sponge by comparison.

Yeah sure and a Formula 1 car makes a Model 3 seem like a wet sponge. MY. CAR. WON. :p

Regardless of delay, I hope I can get by car by October, else I will be turning in my TDI and having to get a stop gap car.

Normally I would be ok with delays, but when I have a real time frame for getting the car, not so fun.