Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6/2 romex, Gen 3 WC help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NJM313

Mar 13, 2022
NJ
Hello, I am hoping to get some advice on wiring setup for a gen 3 WC. I am getting a lot of conflicting info including speaking with licensed electricians. I am planning to install a 3rd gen WC. Originally I was planning on using 6/2 romex, on a 60amp breaker to get the max 48 amps. Now I am reading that this is no good because of continuous load.

So assuming thats correct, my options are:

-Use #6 THHN wire in conduit
-Install the 6/2 on a 50amp breaker and charge at 40 amps
-Use 4/2 romex which doesnt seem to be available

This sound right? For my application I have to go through a wall or two, so would I need to install conduit through the wall if I went with THHN? If I go with the 6/2 on a 50amp route, do I need to use conduit in the portion of my garage where the wire is exposed?

Where do you live at? I have never seen 4/3 anywhere. I think maybe you got ser cable, hopefully not aluminum.

I’m in Texas. Here’s the product information, hope it helps the OP.

Tim

E2D34F17-B97C-49AE-906D-B7CE68E97715.jpeg

Reactions: qdeathstar
Upvote 0
Of course it is what is being discussed. How is there any more danger in software limiting charging current compared to installing a 50 amp outlet on a 30 amp circuit?

They both “accomplish” the same thing, the potential for a device to be used that draws more current than the circuit is designed for. The point you are missing is the device doesn’t limit the current to the circuit, the over-current protection device (breaker) does.
You are not following. A receptacle is not the same as hardwired supply equipment. If you software configure the wall connector to a 50 amp breaker/circuit, and then an individual comes by later and software changes it to 60 amps and shoots 48 amps down the circuit, they could easily cause a fire before that breaker ever trips.
Well, let’s see your evidence then…
I don’t keep a bookmark of all topics ever discussed on this Tesla forum lmao but this has certainly been discussed because I’ve read it on these threads before.

Upvote 0
You are not following. A receptacle is not the same as hardwired supply equipment. If you software configure the wall connector to a 50 amp breaker/circuit, and then an individual comes by later and software changes it to 60 amps and shoots 48 amps down the circuit, they could easily cause a fire before that breaker ever trips.

How is it different that plugging in a 50 amp car charger into a 30 amp circuit? A scenerio that could potentially happen. Your jumping through hoops to be wrong. But you are woefully wrong.

I don’t keep a bookmark of all topics ever discussed on this Tesla forum lmao but this has certainly been discussed because I’ve read it on these threads before.
So it’s bullshit then. Got you. If you can post one single instance of this happening to someone, I will believe you. But I’m guessing you can’t.

Upvote 0
How is it different that plugging in a 50 amp car charger into a 30 amp circuit? A scenerio that could potentially happen. Your jumping through hoops to be wrong. But you are woefully wrong.
Because it would trip the breaker in your scenario…read what I wrote again.

In my scenario, you would be sending a continuous 48 amp load down a 50 amp circuit which should not receive a continuous load of greater than 80% of the rated circuit, which would be 40amps in this scenario. And at 48 amps it would not trip the breaker but would be inherently and objectively unsafe.
So it’s bullshit then. Got you.
Do you keep a bookmark of everything that’s ever been discussed on here? Or do you simply remember the topics being discussed and what the outcome was?

Upvote 0
Because it would trip the breaker in your scenario…read what I wrote again.

In my scenario, you would be sending a continuous 48 amp load down a 50 amp circuit which should not receive a continuous load of greater than 80% of the rated circuit, which would be 40amps in this scenario. And at 48 amps it would not trip the breaker but would be inherently and objectively unsafe.

Do you know how breakers work? From a breakers point of view there is little difference between a 30 amp breaker seeing 32 amps or a 50 amp breaker seeing 48 amps. They will both trip eventually. I’ve personally been to many service calls where 20 amp breakers are tripping at 17-18amps.. (hint, you aren’t allowed to draw more than 16 amps on a 20 amp breaker)

Do you keep a bookmark of everything that’s ever been discussed on here? Or do you simply remember the topics being discussed and what the outcome was?

If I made a claim that it happened a “numerous” amount of times, when it came up I would definitely be able to find one example of what I am talking about.

Upvote 0
Do you know how breakers work? From a breakers point of view there is little difference between a 30 amp breaker seeing 32 amps or a 50 amp breaker seeing 48 amps. They will both trip eventually. I’ve personally been to many service calls where 20 amp breakers are tripping at 17-18amps.. (hint, you aren’t allowed to draw more than 16 amps on a 20 amp breaker)

If I made a claim that it happened a “numerous” amount of times, when it came up I would definitely be able to find one example of what I am talking about.
Up here in Ontario, Canada, the AHJ, ESA has been refusing to pass Gen 3 WCs installs due to the Wifi menu. They must be installed on a 60A breaker to be certified.

Upvote 0
Up here in Ontario, Canada, the AHJ, ESA has been refusing to pass Gen 3 WCs installs due to the Wifi menu. They must be installed on a 60A breaker to be certified.

Thanks for providing the evidence of the threads as I knew it had been discussed many times on here before.

Upvote 0
Back to the OPs point, if the 6-2 + ground "romex" is rated at 90 deg C then it is fine for a 60A circuit with a continuous load. Most multistrand cable is only rated at 60 deg even though the individual conductors carry a 90 deg rating, which is where the problem arises.

The cable will be stamped with the rating. Such a cable with a 90 deg rating was used by a licensed, Tesla recommended electrician and signed off by our inspector.

"Romex" is a brand name and its use conveys little to no information about what the actual product is.

Upvote 0
Back to the OPs point, if the 6-2 + ground "romex" is rated at 90 deg C then it is fine for a 60A circuit with a continuous load. Most multistrand cable is only rated at 60 deg even though the individual conductors carry a 90 deg rating, which is where the problem arises.

The cable will be stamped with the rating. Such a cable with a 90 deg rating was used by a licensed, Tesla recommended electrician and signed off by our inspector.

"Romex" is a brand name and its use conveys little to no information about what the actual product is.
Yes, ROMEX is a brand name NM-B cable (made by Southwire), such as Kleenex is a tissue. ROMEX 6-2 is not suitable for a 60 amp circuit for the Tesla wall connector. The individual conductors ampacity is limited to 60 degrees and the ampacity of 6-2 ROMEX is 55 amps at 60 degrees. The NM-B cable available to most homeowners such as that at Lowes/Home Depot is ROMEX. Will it cause a problem if you use it? Maybe not but it is not suitable to use per NEC. You would need to use 4-2 ROMEX (NM-B) cable or individual 6 gauge THHN wires (10 gauge ground).

1647368090128.png

1647368264115.png

Upvote 0

NM is considered 60c regardless per NEC.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Upvote 0
6-2 UF, which most non-electricians would mistakenly call "romex", is a multiconductor cable rated for 90 deg and suitable for this use. I'd bet that's what the OP's electrician was talking about putting in. That's what my electrician used. The OP didn't say it was NM-B.

6-2 MC would also be fine, though that is less likely to be called "romex" (though I have heard it called that).

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
6-2 UF, which most non-electricians would mistakenly call "romex", is a multiconductor cable rated for 90 deg and suitable for this use. I'd bet that's what the OP's electrician was talking about putting in. That's what my electrician used. The OP didn't say it was NM-B.

6-2 MC would also be fine, though that is less likely to be called "romex" (though I have heard it called that).
At least in the US, when someone refers to Romex, 99% of the time they're referring to NM-B. Doesn't sound like OP was using an electrician and instead he was doing things himself. My guess would be OP bought something like this.

Upvote 0