Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 Month New 85D Already Have a Battery Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my brand new model S 85D in October 2015. Living in NYC, we are weekend drivers so I only have about 4k miles on it (remote access is off so can't check for sure). All have been fine until about 3 weeks ago on a Sunday. The car suddenly showed me a warning that said something like "Car needs service. Power reduced." I needed to go home and it was only a 20 mile drive so I just drove it. And needless to say the power was weak but I was able to go up to highway speed and got home safe. I parked it and a few hours later, surprisingly, the warning was gone on its own and I got my full power back. This has never appeared again.

Since I put my whole family on it, I wanted to have a peace of mind. I scheduled a loaner with Brooklyn Tesla and dropped it off on 4/9/2016. Got a red 60 rwd loaner. I was like "Ok not too bad". During the week, I received updates from service manager Cathy saying that local technicians inspected the car following instructions from engineers in Cali and they thought it's a connector/relay issue. They then ordered the parts on Wednesday and replaced it on Friday. However, on Friday afternoon we received a message from them saying after part replacement more warnings came up. As such they needed to keep it longer.

I had a packed Saturday so didn't get to call them during their hours. On Monday, I called Cathy and was told that the car actually STUCK in the middle of road test drive after technician replaced the connector part(s). And now they believe the issue is actually inside the battery pack. Since technician can not inspect the inside of battery pack, it needs to be shipped back to factory for further investigation. The next part is cool and unique to Tesla I guess -- they are ordering a loaner battery pack from somewhere nearby to swap for mine so that I can resume to drive my 85D while they try to fix my battery. I wish Apple has a way to do this without making the phone even more ugly :)

Anyway, now I'm looking at getting back my car with a loaner battery on Thursday or Friday. By then I'll be out of my car for almost 2 weeks. And I guess I'll have another outage in a couple months when/if they fixed my battery. Not a big deal to me but I was surprised this could happen in such a short time of possession. I'm curious if anyone else had issue with their battery pack.