TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

6 weeks and no plates

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by dethman, Aug 8, 2018.

1. dethman

dethman Member

#1 dethman, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    So i took delivery 6/27, 6 weeks ago. Still no plates.

So I call the california DMV, and OF COURSE Tesla never submitted them any paperwork.

Can Tesla get any more incompetent than they already are?

1. Initial Model S order that was cancelled was not refunded.
    2. Model X order delayed past promised date
    3. No contact and confusion regarding delivery dates.
    4. Multiple issues with vehicle after delivery
    5. Poor service including 'forgotten' and inappropriately addressed issues, car had to be in shop for 2 weeks. Still unresolved issues.
    6. Messed up my keyfob in the process of servicing vehicle.
    7. No plates. All in the first 6 weeks of ownership.

guess i get to make another phone call to tesla now.

:rolleyes::confused::mad:

• Love x 1
  2. UberEV1

UberEV1 Member

Not sure if I'm in the same boat . . . it has been 6 weeks since I bought a CPO from the Fremont center, and as of last Thursday the DMV had no record of the VIN anywhere in their system. I called Tesla and they said it could take up to 90 days and that I shouldn't worry. They also mentioned that it takes the DMV a bit longer to confirm an out of state car (car was shipped from Florida, so never had a CA registration). Thus, it could be a paperwork submission issue, or it could be that two State agencies move like molasses. Thus, I thought I would monitor for several more weeks to see if the VIN finally shows up in the records.

For anyone else who bought an out-of-state CPO here in California, how long did it take you to get registration and plates? Thx!

3. cpa

cpa Active Member

We received our Model 3 in early January. The entire process was a big cluster-you-know-what.

Four weeks later we received the pink (rainbow, actually these days) slip from DMV with the license plate number identified on the pink slip. No plates. No registration.

A phone call to Tesla said that they would look into it.

Finally, in early May, I bit the bullet and drove to an outlying DMV office and waited in line at 7:30 AM. By 10:45 I left with replacement plates. The clerk was slightly dismayed that I had not received the plates, but canceled the original series and I was good to go.

I would not waste any time getting this corrected. I am not sure how long the police allow us to drive with the temporary registration taped to the windshield without issuing a fix-it ticket.

Better to get this situation resolved on your time when it fits with your schedule that to be forced to do it by the po-po.

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

@dethman probably faster just go AAA office u will get plates same day ...;)

• Like x 2
  5. dethman

dethman Member

i would stop by, but since tesla hasn't even sent the paperwork for vehicle transfer and reassignment to the DMV, registration would not even be in my name yet. it's still in tesla's name.

i wonder if this means i can just return it. :D

• Like x 2
  6. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Yah return it :eek:.....get P100;)

7. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

I want a P100D, i just dont wanna pay P100D money haha.

• Love x 2
  8. UberEV1

UberEV1 Member

Tried that and AAA confirmed that out-of-State cars need to be verified by the original registration State and this can result in the overall process taking 8 to 12 weeks (i.e. they weren't able to give me registration and plates on the spot because it was an out-of-State car). Thus, it looks like I just need to be patient.

• Informative x 1