Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7-seater Y 3rd Row Entry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TheWalkingDad

Cybertruck 23' or bust.
Oct 30, 2018
Maryland
Hi,

I tried searching but didn't see anything related to this topic so I apologize if it was covered somewhere else.

Does anyone know when you pull the shoulder button on the 2nd row seats if it's suppose to electrically assist the movement of the seats forward and up? I almost have to use two hands to physically pull the seats forward and the up out of the way. I'm curious if the electrical motor sound is only a seat release versus some sort of mechanism to push the seat forward and up.

When I push the button near the shoulder release, I do hear a motor sound but nothing happens.

I've taken it to service but some techs have disagreed whether or not this is normal.

This is happening on both sides.

Thanks for the input!

Hi,

I tried searching but didn't see anything related to this topic so I apologize if it was covered somewhere else.

Does anyone know when you pull the shoulder button on the 2nd row seats if it's suppose to electrically assist the movement of the seats forward and up? I almost have to use two hands to physically pull the seats forward and the up out of the way. I'm curious if the electrical motor sound is only a seat release versus some sort of mechanism to push the seat forward and up.

When I push the button near the shoulder release, I do hear a motor sound but nothing happens.

I've taken it to service but some techs have disagreed whether or not this is normal.

This is happening on both sides.

Thanks for the input!

From what I recall, on our MYLR7, when you pull on that electrical release button on the top shoulder of the seat, you hear an electric motor whirring and then the seat unlocks and springs forward from the rear. Sometimes I have to give it a bit of an assist, but it's not a difficult to do task. You then have to manually push the seat/s forward to allow entry into the 3rd row.

If you're having difficulty pushing the seat into the tilt forward position before pushing the entire seat forward on its track to allow entry, then there's likely something wrong with the mechanism. Shortly after delivery, our 2nd row seat on the driver's side failed and would not re-latch. This problem has been reported by several members here on the forum. Tesla service verified the issue and ordered a replacement. I do not know if they replaced just the mechanism or the entire seat.

The sound you here is the motor controlling the locking mechanism. The seat is spring loaded in the "normal" position. When the button is push, you have to time it right and manually push forward. It won't go forward on its own. If you push forward too early, the mechanism is not fully unlocked and it won't go anywhere. If you push forward too late, the lock re-engages and it won't go anywhere either.