Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my MS 75D 4 weeks ago. Shame I won't get the performance upgrade but couldn't afford the 90D when I bought.

Wonder how much HW needs changing? Here in the UK, I'd be happy to pay £1k-£2k for the upgrade.

Maybe they could do a SW only performance increase to bring us down a few tenths (to 5.0s for 75D)?

Wow! That's very interesting. Wonder if all current 75's being produced are actually 85's dumbed down like they did with 60's. That would be a great deal if they will be offered at same price as 75's.
There have to be some new 75 owners who can chime in on the battery installed in their car. I ordered mine on July 8th and would love it if it was a software restricted 85. I'd jump on the ability to increase range if/when offered.

Reactions: Karlton770
Well, this could be interpreted in a number of ways. One is "don't worry about missing the speed upgrade, after the next adjustments there will be things the fast 75 buyers are missing out too (like making 85D the base at similar price - which btw it looks like is heading this way since the new 75's reported here seem to be sw limited 85's already). And of course you can always upgrade by trading up to a new car which will contribute to more 75 CPO's that will be much appreciated by Model 3 buyers who don't want to wait 2 years for their car" ;)
Lol, just found the thread on today's repricing. So let's see, compared to the 75 from December (I got one) the new 75 today for the same price:
  • Has standard powered liftgate
  • Has standard glass roof
  • Has standard Smart Air Suspension
  • Has standard fog and turning lights
  • Has standard high power charger
  • Has standard accent internal and external lights
  • Is 1s faster 0-60
  • Reportedly comes with 85KWh battery which means it charges faster (400V) and can probably be charged safely to 100% daily like the old sw limited 60's.
So yea, worrying about just the DU does seem silly, no? ;)

Seriously though, I've been a Tesla customer since 2013 and this is not unusual. They delivered on everything they promised on for our 75, except auto wipers, so I have no complaints about changes since. My P85D is a whole other story, there Tesla did not deliver everything, namely 691hp or 85KWh battery, so there I will always feel ripped off.

Lol, just found the thread on today's repricing. So let's see, compared to the 75 from December (I got one) the new 75 today for the same price:
  • Is 1s faster 0-60
  • Reportedly comes with 85KWh battery which means it charges faster (400V) and can probably be charged safely to 100% daily like the old sw limited 60's.

Seriously though, I've been a Tesla customer since 2013 and this is not unusual. They delivered on everything they promised on for our 75, except auto wipers, so I have no complaints about changes since. My P85D is a whole other story, there Tesla did not deliver everything, namely 691hp or 85KWh battery, so there I will always feel ripped off.
Don't forget the new seats! (Also a December 2016 S75 owner, well technically S60->S75 after the $7k upgrade price drop to $2k).

• Is 1s faster 0-60

Where is the high speed charger confirmed?

• Is 1s faster 0-60

I understand Tesla haven't delivered on some things, I have my own issues with them but I have to say that the 691hp is accurate for an equivilent. If you show me a car that can run a low 11 et weighing 2.2 tons with less than 691hp, I'd be very impressed. 760hp is actually the more accurate figure once ludicrous is added. Also a 2.2 ton ICE car would need 800hp+ to beat a P100D in the 1/4 so I think we can safely call the P100DL+ an 800+hp car however it gets across the line

I understand Tesla haven't delivered on some things, I have my own issues with them but I have to say that the 691hp is accurate for an equivilent. If you show me a car that can run a low 11 et weighing 2.2 tons with less than 691hp, I'd be very impressed. 760hp is actually the more accurate figure once ludicrous is added. Also a 2.2 ton ICE car would need 800hp+ to beat a P100D in the 1/4 so I think we can safely call the P100DL+ an 800+hp car however it gets across the line

Here is a comparable vehicle to Model S P85D
jeep trackhawk 2018
707hp 2.2tons 0-60 3.5 1/4 mile 11.6
Also claims to be quickest SUV ever LOL we all know that's not true...

Uh.... Equivalent? Sure, 0-2mph P85D is equivalent to a 2000hp car, so why not say it has 2000hp? In the end, they advertised horsepower, not "equivalent hp". Even when they tried to weasel out of it they didn't use your " equivalent hp" argument, instead claimed the motors can do it but not the battery or wiring. 60-80 the car accelerates like 430hp car that weighs the same, so your "equivalency" is only for specific limited conditions. Had they specified that as equivalent, then I'd have no problem. If I paid them $40K USD for a P100D because it has equivalent food buying power in the Phillipines, they'd laugh at me.

Btw, you beautifully just illustrated Tesla strategy on how to get away with selling and not delivering. Notice how quickly you went to telling us how powerful the P100D is, a car 4 generations of battery/powertrain later - nothing achievable with P85D. In a few years, when people complain about not getting the Full Self Driving features on AP2, you will tell them how well it works on current generation AP5, claiming that Tesla did deliver.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mjølner
  • Is 1s faster 0-60

upload_2017-7-22_21-1-41.png

Here is a comparable vehicle to Model S P85D
jeep trackhawk 2018
707hp 2.2tons 0-60 3.5 1/4 mile 11.6
Also claims to be quickest SUV ever LOL we all know that's not true...
LOL, why don't you show me a video of a Tesla racing a farm tractor and tell me how a 2.2ton tractor has so many hp and yet an S60 beats it. A Jeep is an SUV, Model S is a sedan. Care to show us a race against a 700hp sedan with a rolling start at 40mph? Let's see how equivalent this hp is at 40mph.

Last edited:
From Facebook? Any more details? Would you post or private message a link? I am curious as to when battery change happened. My bet is between June 15th and 19th.

It is from FB group "Tesla owners worldwide". It is a closed group, so I don't want to post more, but join it. Picture was posted Sunday by a norwegian member.

According to parts catalogue that would be P85DL battery, so i'm not sure what to think about it.

Last edited:
LOL, why don't you show me a video of a Tesla racing a farm tractor and tell me how a 2.2ton tractor has so many hp and yet an S60 beats it. A Jeep is an SUV, Model S is a sedan. Care to show us a race against a 700hp sedan with a rolling start at 40mph? Let's see how equivalent this hp is at 40mph.
There aren't many 2.2 ton sedans, the most powerful s class is around 600hp so that's not a good comparison. I don't think there is a 7 series with that much power either. The most comparable sedan to the P85D would have to be the Audi RS7 Performance which is a much lighter car at 2.03 tons and 605hp. The best comparison was the jeep but apparently it didn't look cool enough. Where do you get the idea that the P85D doesn't have 691?

Uh.... Equivalent? Sure, 0-2mph P85D is equivalent to a 2000hp car, so why not say it has 2000hp? In the end, they advertised horsepower, not "equivalent hp". Even when they tried to weasel out of it they didn't use your " equivalent hp" argument, instead claimed the motors can do it but not the battery or wiring. 60-80 the car accelerates like 430hp car that weighs the same, so your "equivalency" is only for specific limited conditions. Had they specified that as equivalent, then I'd have no problem. If I paid them $40K USD for a P100D because it has equivalent food buying power in the Phillipines, they'd laugh at me.

Btw, you beautifully just illustrated Tesla strategy on how to get away with selling and not delivering. Notice how quickly you went to telling us how powerful the P100D is, a car 4 generations of battery/powertrain later - nothing achievable with P85D. In a few years, when people complain about not getting the Full Self Driving features on AP2, you will tell them how well it works on current generation AP5, claiming that Tesla did deliver.
Did you know the P85D didn't have a gearbox? You don't seem to understand basic power to weight, gear ratios or drag racing fundamentals. The car has 691hp. If there's anything you should be complaining about, it's the fact that the car limits power due to overheating. The horsepower argument is stupid.