Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75% Failure Rate with Public (J1772) Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry I have nothing to add, other than it's a damn shame that the J1772 standard wasn't rigid enough to prevent all of these (and so many other) issues. I had an older J1772 at my house that I had to replace when I got the Tesla because it wasn't quite up to the full spec and my Model S wouldn't charge from it. They really $h!t the bed on that standard if so many chargers and devices can have connection issues. USB and HDMI aren't perfect but I've had many dozens of devices and many dozens of cables and had virtually no issues ever.

Reactions: jbcarioca
...it's a damn shame that the J1772 standard wasn't rigid enough to prevent all of these (and so many other) issues...
This is a serious issue for us, although there still are few enough EV's that probably there is not an enormous groundswell to fix the problems. Possibly the most serious fundamental problem, in my own opinion, is that the SAE knows little about compatibility issues since almost all of their standards relate to functions performed without multi-manufacturer interface. The largest such issue with which I am familiar is that of the CANBUS, which is an ISO standard. Other things remaining equal I'd much prefer ISO to SAE. Now, however, we have multiple largely uncoordinated standard and have only CharIn as a cross-industry standard, and it is severely constrained by the requirement for backward compatibility.

That is really similar to the problems of USB, which is technically obsolete but at least is standard. We'll have many much more situations as the technology advances. I predict and ungodly mess around 2020 when we have many automakers releasing large volume BEV's and longer-range PHEV's. Frankly, we should be so lucky as to have this be out most serious problem in advancing EV use.

I'm sorry but, the ungodly stress that this "adventure" caused, plus having to pay for a hotel room, plus having a 5 hour drive take 18 HOURS. Nope, the system does not work.

Really sorry for your experience. :/ Only drove outside of range before returning home once. Had to plan it to go to the Barstow, California Koa. I hear they used to let people charge for $10 or whatever, but the owner decided now "you need to rent a space." For my situation, given no other choice, paying for a full RV spot ($40 or whatever it was) seemed like a no brainer.

Had read up and heard that Campgrounds including Koa are hit and miss, for fuses, amperage, etc. Also, had duct tape in the trunk in case the charger pins were loose and the plug would fall out, as I read is somewhat common. :/

Through OCD overplaning, but mainly just dumb luck, I lucked out and got an outlet that worked great. I cannot imagine however, that anybody considers a forced stop even when you're lucky and it works, as it did for me, is a joy. :/

Thank goodness they let you charge, but man, I fully understand what a rotten experience that must have been. There's some adventures that nobody needs. :/ Range anxiety followed by "range anxiety reasons realized," is certainly one of those.

best,

sterling

• Funny
Reactions: AEdennis
Sorry to report this issue with J1772 and SemaConnect continues to bedevil Tesla owners. My 3-week old Model S usually takes 15 to 20 minutes of fiddling with SemaConnect connectors and the adapter plug supplied with the car. Currently in Baltimore at the Orleans Street garage, the best I get is an orange light and about 10 miles of charge per hour. Other EV’s charge without problems. Most often, I get nothing.

Sorry to report this issue with J1772 and SemaConnect continues to bedevil Tesla owners. My 3-week old Model S usually takes 15 to 20 minutes of fiddling with SemaConnect connectors and the adapter plug supplied with the car. Currently in Baltimore at the Orleans Street garage, the best I get is an orange light and about 10 miles of charge per hour. Other EV’s charge without problems. Most often, I get nothing.
Um, this is the Roadster forum... I think you want to be over here: Model S: Battery & Charging

It depends on how old the SemaConnect is. They adopted a much more Tesla friendly design a couple years ago. More friendly for all models of Tesla. Unfortunately it sounds like you found one of the old units.

Sorry, I guess I was just searching desperately for solutions to charging problems.
Not a problem, just trying to help you find an answer. There is a "need to wiggle it" thread there, but it was focused on the Tesla connector, not the J1772. Still, it might provide some insight. You should probably run the issue by Tesla and see if they find anything wrong with the adapter or your car's inlet.

The only bad experience I've had with the J1772 was one where the rubber gasket that's inside the J1772 handle had come loose and was wedged sideways in the handle. That prevented the connector from fully seating onto the car (or, the adapter to my car in my case). It was easy to see, once I figured out what was happening. Grabbed a pencil and fished the gasket out, since I couldn't get it positioned correctly. Worked perfectly after that (but never tried it when it was raining). You might check that, too.

Not a problem, just trying to help you find an answer. There is a "need to wiggle it" thread there, but it was focused on the Tesla connector, not the J1772. Still, it might provide some insight. You should probably run the issue by Tesla and see if they find anything wrong with the adapter or your car's inlet.

The only bad experience I've had with the J1772 was one where the rubber gasket that's inside the J1772 handle had come loose and was wedged sideways in the handle. That prevented the connector from fully seating onto the car (or, the adapter to my car in my case). It was easy to see, once I figured out what was happening. Grabbed a pencil and fished the gasket out, since I couldn't get it positioned correctly. Worked perfectly after that (but never tried it when it was raining). You might check that, too.

Good news! Took the car in for service and they determined the charge port was at fault. It took a couple of days to get one over-nighted to the Service Center, but now I have the car back and it's charging perfectly. I pull in, plug in, and there's the green flashing light!