Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 kWh remaining on a 90 kWh battery after 5 years, your thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cousin_IT

Face provided by boredhumans.com
Oct 27, 2020
Netherlands
I bought a P90DL that just turned 5 years old with very low mileage (28.000 kms or approx 17,000 miles). The battery pack is a 1063792-00-A (90kWh, 400 VDC). Doing the math on the available energy in the car (according to this site) gives me 75 kWh of user available capacity. If the original capacity was 81,8 kWh that meas the battery degraded about 8,4%. Am I doing this right?

I've read that the version A 90 kWh batteries are not that great etc etc but I'm curious what this means in practice:
  • How big is the chance that this battery will fail?
  • Since the car didn't do a lot of mileage could the numbers be off and if so can they be reset?
FYI I'm not interested in getting my battery replaced, the environmental impact for creating 1 was big enough already. I would like to better understand what these numbers mean in practice. Thanks for your insights.

I bought a P90DL that just turned 5 years old with very low mileage (28.000 kms or approx 17,000 miles). The battery pack is a 1063792-00-A (90kWh, 400 VDC). Doing the math on the available energy in the car (according to this site) gives me 75 kWh of user available capacity. If the original capacity was 81,8 kWh that meas the battery degraded about 8,4%. Am I doing this right?

I've read that the version A 90 kWh batteries are not that great etc etc but I'm curious what this means in practice:
  • Since the car didn't do a lot of mileage could the numbers be off and if so can they be reset?
FYI I'm not interested in getting my battery replaced, the environmental impact for creating 1 was big enough already. I would like to better understand what these numbers mean in practice. Thanks for your insights.

Using the same calculation, I've an average of 12.2% degradation for my car (Info in my signature). Should add that my car is also capacity capped.

I noticed the website you are referring to in order to do your calculation is a bit confusing when it comes to give you an example (the calculated values are not entirely matching). Use a similar method described @ Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software under CALCULATION OF AMOUNT OF CAPACITY\Method. Assuming you now have the total capacity of 79kWh (75+4), you have degradation of 8% (1-(79/85.8)), with 85.8 being your total capacity when your car was new.

I noticed the website you are referring to in order to do your calculation is a bit confusing when it comes to give you an example (the calculated values are not entirely matching). Use a similar method described @ Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software under CALCULATION OF AMOUNT OF CAPACITY\Method. Assuming you now have the total capacity of 79kWh (75+4), you have degradation of 8% (1-(79/85.8)), with 85.8 being your total capacity when your car was new.

The devil is in the details, thanks for pointing this out. So 8% it is then. AFAIK 90 kWh batteries were not capped. Based on the responses I get 8% seems to be an OK value, thanks everyone for replying.

Reactions: Droschke
8.4% loss in 5 years sounds totally reasonable/not bad at all to me. My model 3 lost 7% in the first year.

I do not think your car is on track for premature battery failure.

@cousin_IT ,
Completely agree with cypho comment.
8.4% loss over 5 years is great!

The battery degradation of Tesla 90 & Tesla 85 loses 10-15% at 150,000-200,000 miles
Check out the graph in the following link
Tesla data shows battery degradation is limited but not all packs are created equal - Electrek

Reactions: CyberGus
8.4% loss in 5 years sounds totally reasonable/not bad at all to me. My model 3 lost 7% in the first year.

I do not think your car is on track for premature battery failure.
My 2020 model 3 has lost 6% in 5 months. Most say that’s normal. Not sure I buy that.
022949EA-4BC7-4F6E-8DA8-FF917CE1491E.png

Do you always charge to 93% like that? Doesn't your car warn you when you charge higher than 90% that it is not good for the battery? Your car's probably fine, but if not it might be because of frequent charges beyond 90%.
Rarely do I charge to that SOC. Only the last two times. Usual charge is to 80%. Only one supercharge, the day I picked up the car in June.