Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.5 kw solar system with 2 power walls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a pending order for the above system. I thought I was getting two power wall + units, Tesla tells me I only need one power wall 2 and one power wall + for my system to operate at maximum efficiency and if I get two power wall + units my system would be reduced by 50% efficiency.
Can anyone clarify this for me? Feed back would be appreciated.

I’d assume your design uses a single Tesla 7.6kW Powerwall Plus unit and then a second Powerwall 2 daisy chained to the plus. This is fine as your DC:AC ratio is 1.1 with this configuration. I don’t see how going to 2x 3.8kW inverters would drop your efficiency by 50%, but I also don’t think it makes sense to install that configuration. There’s a sticky thread on the Powerwall Plus, but from my understanding the PW portion of the PW+ system is the same as the PW2, the plus just combines the inverter and gateway into a single unit, which is why you can stack more PW2s onto the first PW+

Reactions: h2ofun
Upvote 0
I’d assume your design uses a single Tesla 7.6kW Powerwall Plus unit and then a second Powerwall 2 daisy chained to the plus. This is fine as your DC:AC ratio is 1.1 with this configuration. I don’t see how going to 2x 3.8kW inverters would drop your efficiency by 50%, but I also don’t think it makes sense to install that configuration. There’s a sticky thread on the Powerwall Plus, but from my understanding the PW portion of the PW+ system is the same as the PW2, the plus just combines the inverter and gateway into a single unit, which is why you can stack more PW2s onto the first PW+

Thanks for your informative reply. Yes that is what Tesla is telling me what you described a 7.6kw + attached to a power wall 2

Upvote 0