Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.5' vs 18' cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome to the forum. Pro tip: you'll generally get much more response if you are more detailed with your subject and description on these posts. Most see short and nondescript topic titles and move along, myself included.

If you're talking about the HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) there's a LOT more important differences to those two options. The 8.5ft is a 2nd gen (also available in 24ft) that's capable of delivery around 2x the power (80A on a 100A breaker) if you happen to own a car capable of utilizing that much power. If your car isn't capable (you'd likely know if you did as it would have the upgraded "high speed charging" option on an older Model S/X) or you don't anticipate the need for that much power delivery or most of this is the equivalent of a foreign language the newer gen 3 HPWC (18ft cable) is probably the way to go.

That's how all of that plays out here in the states anyway. YMMV

Either way, you should have plenty of terms to use to search this topic in-depth if you decide you want to know more about all of the differences and what they mean to your specific situation.

The new Gen3 offers you the choice of 8.5' or 18' at the same price. I don't see why anyone would get the shorter cable either. I have the longer cable, and the wall connector is running fine at maximum rated power 48A. No problems.

The new Gen3 offers you the choice of 8.5' or 18' at the same price. I don't see why anyone would get the shorter cable either. I have the longer cable, and the wall connector is running fine at maximum rated power 48A. No problems.
I wasn't aware that the Gen 3 had two different cable length options now. Disregard most of what I said previously about Gen 2 HPWC as it's not applicable.

It makes sense in the specific case where someone backs in or has it mounted by the front of the garage door and is willing to trade-off ever having the ability to stretch out 18ft in order to have less mess of that extra 10ft to coil up and fight all of the time. I personally would probably get the longer lead just in case but I can also see why some would rather get something more custom tailored to their needs if they don't need all that extra length and would just rather have a shorter run that's easier to manage.

I'm building a new house with a new garage. I ordered the shorter cable since I'll place the HPWC close to the charge port of my car and I am really tired of manhandling the long cable in my original garage. It, too, is located right next to the charge port so the long cable is superfluous and keeps getting tangled up and in the way. Superchargers have very short cables and I've never had a problem charging.
Probably some efficiency gains from shorter cable but that is a minor benefit.

I loop about 9 feet around the wall connector. The distance from the floor to the connector allows for one long 8 -9 foot link with the remaining cable. I grab the power plug and plug it in. I unplug it and put it over the connector. No tangle, no fooling with the extra 9 feet. Useable length stays in the one loop from the floor to the connector -- no mess or tangles.

Attachments

• 20201123_135746.jpg
    20201123_135746.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 664
Reactions: SkynetT10000
I loop about 9 feet around the wall connector. The distance from the floor to the connector allows for one long 8 -9 foot link with the remaining cable. I grab the power plug and plug it in. I unplug it and put it over the connector. No tangle, no fooling with the extra 9 feet. Useable length stays in the one loop from the floor to the connector -- no mess or tangles.
I try to do that also but the loops have a mind of their own and want to be free.

• Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave
The beauty of a plug in HPWC is if the HPWC fails for what ever reason you can still plug in. If I were to do an install today I would do it with a best quality 14-50 plug. I've had a fuse blow on my garage HWPC and it took a few days to get a new one.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Our Gen2 8' cable is cleaner for our tight garage pillar space. It just loops down and back up to the handle in its holder, without touching the ground. While I have always regretted not getting the longer cable "just in case", I've never had an occasion that required it. Perhaps if we decided to reposition the HPWC farther away for some strange reason.

I do need the longer cable for our second Gen2 connector. It's on the wall near the passenger side of the X so the cord has to reach around the back of the car and into the charge port. So if your charging needs change and that sort of arrangement becomes necessary, the long cable gives you that option.

Think of someone who parks outside. They put a post in, and have their parking spot - no need for the big wrangle of cord. I currently own a Juicebox Pro 40 w/ some 18 or 20 foot cord. It's annoying, at times. Garages get dirty. The cable gets dirty. It gets twisted, you flip it around or move it a bit next thing you know, it's got cement/dirt/dust/grime onto my pant leg. ... Only when I've put on a suit, of course!

Dave aka Ghan

For high power electrical devices like your EV, the shorter the cable the better as it will have lower electrical resistance so more of the power gets to to your car. In my case I have to use the 18’ cable to reach so that’s what I need.