Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 ft charge cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The model 3 comes with a 20 foot long charging cable. I use it to charge on the 240v outlet in my garage. But I would really like a shorter cable since the car is only a couple feet from the outlet and I have all that excess coiled. Tesla has an 8 ft cable available with the Wall charger but won't sell it separately from the $500 charger. Anyone know where I could get an 8 foot cable?

I'm also parking the car very close to the wall and would only need a short cable. I have nonetheless decided against the 8 ft cable for the following reasons:

If I walk past the car, I want the cable to lay on the floor with a lot of slack. If I happen to trip on it, I don't want to yank it out of the car or the wall (either way the potential damage would be non-trivial).

If I had to park on the other side of the garage, or leave the Tesla outside, I can stretch the cable and still charge.

If I relocate the cars, for instance so that I can more easily drive the garden tractors out, I don't need another charger. I can coil up (and maybe zip tie) the long cable in order to keep it out of the way but I can't lengthen the short one.

Reactions: Donz_S
The model 3 comes with a 20 foot long charging cable. I use it to charge on the 240v outlet in my garage. But I would really like a shorter cable since the car is only a couple feet from the outlet and I have all that excess coiled. Tesla has an 8 ft cable available with the Wall charger but won't sell it separately from the $500 charger. Anyone know where I could get an 8 foot cable?
I couldn't find a shorter cable for the charger. I'm using a cable organizer like the one below.

https://www.amazon.com/LECTRON-Char...-2-spons&keywords=tesla+cable+organizer&psc=1

Even if you were able to secure just the 8ft cable from the wall connector there would be no way for you to connect that to the UMC that came with your car, unless you're really really good with opening up electronics and rewiring them. Even if you did want to attempt this I would advise against it as it would be 1) a potential fire hazard and 2) most certainly void the warranty on both your UMC and your Model 3 since you would then be charging it with a modified UMC. The charge cable on the wall connector is also a thicker diameter than the one on the UMC. Just find a cable organizer to keep the excess cable out of the way like @chronopc suggested. That excess cable length may be annoying to deal with in your own garage, but if you're away from home and need to charge a a vacation home, friend's house, etc that extra cable length may be a life saver.

You could also use these for the excess cable:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KTLP10/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41H1xhPEyZL.jpg

I don't necessarily need the 8 ft cable from the Tesla Wall Charger. I just want a shorter cable. That would allow me to keep the one that came with the car in the frunk, so I would always have a cable available, wherever I am. I used 8 feet as the term because it's what Tesla recommended in the description of the Wall Charger, which even includes a diagram with a car parked close to the outlet. I think Tesla should make additional cable lengths available as an accessory. When I called and asked they said they do not sell charge cables. When I asked whether it was available (the 20 ft one that comes with the car) as a replacement if I damaged my original, I was told no, they don't sell just the cable. That seems unreasonable.

By 8ft. Cable it sounds like you just want a cable without the box. Probably not?

The wall connector if given the same 50amp circuit will allow you to charge at 40 instead of 32amps, and even more if the circuit can be upgraded further.

Spreading the wear and tear to a second unit and having a redundant charging solution have value too so I would suggest you just spend the money on the wall connector.

Suggesting I spend the money for a second redundant charging outlet would mean I spend $500 for a wall charger located right next to the 40 amp circuit I already have. The 40 amp circuit fits my needs fine. I just want a shorter cable so I can put the one that came with the car back into the trunk so I'll always have it with me. I asked Tesla if I could buy another of those as a replacement cable and they said no. They will not sell any charging cables as a stand alone purchase. I just want to buy a charging cable, and a shorter one would be more desirable.

Suggesting I spend the money for a second redundant charging outlet would mean I spend $500 for a wall charger located right next to the 40 amp circuit I already have. The 40 amp circuit fits my needs fine. I just want a shorter cable so I can put the one that came with the car back into the trunk so I'll always have it with me. I asked Tesla if I could buy another of those as a replacement cable and they said no. They will not sell any charging cables as a stand alone purchase. I just want to buy a charging cable, and a shorter one would be more desirable.
You might try checking the For Sale listings or Want to Buy listings. The 8 foot cable WCs are pretty rare but you might find one. I've also seen posts were people wanted to swap for a longer (or shorter) cable so you might be able to find someone who wants to trade.

I believe you are referring to the mobile cable that comes with the car?

The cable on the portable is not replaceable, so I do t see why they would sell a separate cable.

the 8ft cable on the WC is more substantial to handle 80a.

Best you could do is have the UMC that comes with the car shortened. Or buy a new one and have it shortened. There is a company inline that will extend the cable. Shortening us probably easier.

Could also buy a 8ft WC and out a pigtail on it.

None of these are cheap.

I think Tesla should make additional cable lengths available as an accessory. When I called and asked they said they do not sell charge cables. When I asked whether it was available (the 20 ft one that comes with the car) as a replacement if I damaged my original, I was told no, they don't sell just the cable. That seems unreasonable.

If you take a close look at your Universal Mobile Connector that came with your car you will see that the cable that goes from the main body of the UMC to the Tesla charge port connector is not detachable. Only the plug adapters which connect to the opposite side of the UMC body are detachable for swapping in different connector plug types. You can buy a spare UMC from Tesla: Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle
But like I said, since the cable from the UMC body to the Tesla charge port connector is not detachable there is no way for them to sell shorter cables. Or maybe you're referring to the entire UMC as a "charge cable"? If so as far as I know Tesla has only sold UMCs with a 20 foot cable.