Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D Model S 0-60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both P90DL and P3D are speced as more than 1 second faster 0-60 than 85D, so yes, 85D will feel slower. From my experience, the biggest different you will feel is 0-30mph, after than less so.

Yeah I obviously realize it's slower.

My point was, it felt so much slower I was surprised it's rated at 4.4. Felt more like the rwd 3 to me.

I don't have the link handy but one poster here filmed his 2015 85D at a local drag strip. He ran 28 consecutive runs and ranged from 3.7 to 4.2 seconds for 0-60 times. Seemed like he averaged 3.9 when SOC was around 85% and up. His slower times of 4.2 came when he was about 75% or so. I believe his overall average was like 3.956.

This was from a discussion last summer. It was an 85D, not P. Not a rolling start with stock tires (I believe, can't remember 100% on tires).

On pre ludicrous cars, the main if not only benefit of P over non P is the initial acceleration due to more proportion of the power going to the rear wheels and therefore better traction at low speeds. Once the cars are on the move they have pretty much the same performance as the front wheels can take more of the available power, and both cars become limited by the battery. That 0-30mph extra slam in the back accounts for most of the 0-60 time improvement so feels significant.

Ludicrous raised the battery power (which had quickly became the limiting factor) which gave more benefit including at higher speeds.

The P and non P cars back in 85D/P85D and 90D/P90D days has a second gap in 0-60 times but the P cars all used 1 foot roll out which accounted for about 0.2s of that saving, and the non P were regularily timed around 4s, better than spec, so the real world gap being about 0.5s. There were law suits in some countries, also linked to the 700+ bhp installed motor spec which was ignoring the fact the battery had no hope is providing the power at that time as the claim was Tesla presented the data that maximised the appearance of improved performance even though each data point in isolation was true.

Putting those things together, roughly, the P cars had a say 0-30mph time if 1.5s as opposed to 2s which does sound significant and you’d feel it, and a 30-60 time that’s fairly similar. The moral of the story is don’t buy a P just for performance unless it has ludicrous

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cfwiggum and whitex
On pre ludicrous cars, the main if not only benefit of P over non P is the initial acceleration due to more proportion of the power going to the rear wheels and therefore better traction at low speeds. Once the cars are on the move they have pretty much the same performance as the front wheels can take more of the available power, and both cars become limited by the battery. That 0-30mph extra slam in the back accounts for most of the 0-60 time improvement so feels significant.

Ludicrous raised the battery power (which had quickly became the limiting factor) which gave more benefit including at higher speeds.

The P and non P cars back in 85D/P85D and 90D/P90D days has a second gap in 0-60 times but the P cars all used 1 foot roll out which accounted for about 0.2s of that saving, and the non P were regularily timed around 4s, better than spec, so the real world gap being about 0.5s. There were law suits in some countries, also linked to the 700+ bhp installed motor spec which was ignoring the fact the battery had no hope is providing the power at that time as the claim was Tesla presented the data that maximised the appearance of improved performance even though each data point in isolation was true.

Putting those things together, roughly, the P cars had a say 0-30mph time if 1.5s as opposed to 2s which does sound significant and you’d feel it, and a 30-60 time that’s fairly similar. The moral of the story is don’t buy a P just for performance unless it has ludicrous

Can you get Ludicrous installed on any year 85D or P85D? Isn’t it just a software upgrade?

You could on P85Ds for a while, but no longer. And it was a hardware and software upgrade. Cabling was changed out to handle the higher amp drdaw of ludicrous mode. (Which still isn't quite as many amps as in a P90D or P100D).
Actually it was a contactor and the pyro fuse in the battery. The upgrade costed $5K USD when it was available. P85D owners in Norway sued and got it for free. In the US nobody sued, or at least nothing that hit the news (maybe someone settled quietly - personally I considered that path but honestly, having been involved in lawsuits before for more money and practical slum-dunks, it still takes a lot more time, effort and money that I am willing to put into this for $5K).

Here are the numbers after Tesla came clean with actual horsepower numbers (after the Norway lawsuit):

TeslaNumbers.png

Reactions: JMatt