Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D vs P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure that the suspension difference is very minor. Having test driven both back to back on nice twisty upper Westchester County NY roads recently.... the P85D's suspension performance demands that I type this.

This!
I suspect you will find that it is more than just power thus the decision is one of personal taste for the nature of the car you drive.

- - - Updated - - -

I outgrew show-off acceleration a long time ago.

Gawd I'm a slow learner. I have yet to mature out of such things :)

I will add some fuel to the fire. What about the 70 D.? 0 to 60 in 5.2 seconds and you save $35,000? I think someone said it here in the thread how fast is fast enough?

I'm going back and forth between the 70D and the 85D but only because of range. How many of you have actually dipped into that last 20% of your range? And could you have avoided that by supercharging a little longer?

mine says P85 in the middle when you get in :tongue:

awd cornering traction/ cronering acceleration should surely feel different

Agreed. In performance driving in sure you will see an appreciable difference. But if I'm driving the interstate and everyday driving, I can't imagine it being THAT different. Remember I'm not trying to rile anyone up, just like solid discussion.

Perhaps playing a little devils advocate here. If you blanked all the screens and all emblems off the car. Could you really tell the difference between the 70, 85, 85d, p85d?
Let me correct your question...

Perhaps playing a little devils advocate here. If you blanked all the screens and all emblems off the car. Could you really tell the difference between the 40/60, 60, 70D, 85, 85D, P85, P85+, P85D?

60, 85, P85, P85+, P85D
Definitely, as a driver. As a passenger, 60 vs. 85 is sometimes hard to tell. P85 vs. P85+: no straight-line difference.

40/60, 70D, 85D - Never driven or ridden.

Agreed. In performance driving in sure you will see an appreciable difference. But if I'm driving the interstate and everyday driving, I can't imagine it being THAT different. Remember I'm not trying to rile anyone up, just like solid discussion.

I cant say difference between the D models but in day to day driving the difference between a P85 and just 85 is very noticeable. 85 feels heavy. I'd imagine a non D model feels heavier than a D model in takeoffs.
mash throttle at 40mph to pass and my car drifts the rear end out around the car I am passing. 85 will stick and any D probably too

In the last two weeks, I've driven a 60, 85 (with loaner limit), P85 Sig, P85D, P85 Sig in Valet Mode, and a Chevy Cruze (Enterprise).

For city driving, the performance I've felt so far is easily rankable: P85D [11], P85 Sig [9], 85 (with loaner limit) [7], 60 [6], P85 Sig in Valet Mode [4], Chevy Cruze [3].

Caveats:
- The Cruze might move up a notch if I drive it a little more, but one gear electric (even in Valet Mode) is hard to not prefer.
- On highways/freeways with a speed limit of 70mph or higher, the 60 and the Cruze beat the loaner-limited 85.
- In "power limited mode" (240 kW) the P85D drops to about 8.5 rating.
- In "power limited mode" (160 kW) the P85 Sig drops to about 5.5 rating.

Solid info here. So the 40k dollar question is. The difference between the 60 and the p85d is roughly 1.9 seconds and 30 miles of range? This is at the 30,000 foot level.
This sounds wrong.

Model S | Tesla Motors
70D/85/85D/P85D @ 5.2/5.4/4.4/3.1

70D to P85D delta is 2.1
85 to P85D delta is 2.3

The 60 is definitely slower than both 85 and 70D so the delta is at least 2.4 from 60 to P85D.

We only borrow the car for a few years in exchange for money.
There is only a small actual SAVINGS when you actually go resell or trade it in as the P85D will sell for more when are done with the car.
You will simply enjoy a lower performance product during ownership as well as all the other fringe benefits of temporarily owning the best.
Plus when you actually go to sell it will be easier to sell as there will be fewer of that model for sale.

Last edited: