Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

9/28 - 7 hour delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a day...

This turned out long. TL;DL: They're selling inventory cars before they're out of the factory, communication is lacking, and Fremont will be in chaos this weekend.

Today was to be the day to take delivery of my inventory Model X (75D, MSM, 6 seat, black interior, 22" wheels) from the Fremont delivery center. Ordered my car on 9/25 after working with an Owner Advisor from the Dublin, CA showroom. The model was said to be in Monterrey and she arranged to move it to Fremont (a little closer). Wednesday, an IDA called and schedule me for delivery today, 9/28 at 10:15am.

Arrived today at around 10:25am (was a bit behind), checked in, they said most people had hosts, so should be ready shortly. Shortly turned into an hour and a half, and we finally get messaged to meet our host. Come to find out, our inventory model wasn't actually in inventory. It was still at the factory going through the final stages and was running behind. It was never actually in Monterrey. Seems they were selling cars that were still in production as inventory models. They were doubtful it'd be ready today, and only a small chance over the weekend.

We live about an hour and a half away from Fremont. I took part of the day off work, and came out with my wife, with the intention of delivery, then trading in her Escalade to CarMax, and trying to be home mid-afternoon. I wasn't eager to shuffle my work schedule again next week, and my wife has a packed schedule too.

They searched for other inventory (real inventory) models matching our specs, but didn't find anything. We could wait til next week, and could likely do home delivery since they extended the range recently. Overall, was to be a wasted trip.

After leaving, called the host and left him a message/text that we'd consider upgrading to a 100D if it was a good match to our specs and a good price. He found one that matched on everything, except was Solid Black, and it was in a staging lot a few blocks away. We said sure.

So this was at 1pm. We finally finished at ~5:45pm and got to drive home through joyous Bay Area Friday evening traffic. Still with the Escalade too. I don't know what exactly took so long. It seems like everything was slow. The host himself had to go and get it. It was dusty as heck and still had plastic protective covers. I asked them to skip the full detail, I'd rather do it myself, but was 4:30pm until the car was out for us. Then paperwork took forever. And moving the load approval over, and updating for the promotional interest rate, etc.

When we were finally signing paperwork, I was simply exhausted. It is amazing how draining it is to wait all day.

The host it may be the quickest order to delivery he has done (the new car being a new order). Its kind of sad though, since I've gone into a dealership cold, test driven, negotiated, handled a trade-in, and loan/paperwork in 3 hours in and out before.

But he also said they were delivering ~250 cars that day, and it was utter chaos there. There were others in a similar boat, some of them more irate. This week will probably get even worse, since he said they have ~450 deliveries tomorrow.

If anyone from Fremont ever sees this, I have one main piece of feedback:

Have more to drink than water and coffee! OMFG. People are waiting hours, have some decent options. A vending machine even! And have more than just granola bars and pretzel bites. Again, I would have paid for some decent stuff. There are plenty of people waiting a fair amount of time and well, water and coffee alone get old quick.

Overall I don't know if the day is a waste or not. We were basically gone about 12 hours. We didn't get to do all we intended to do. But I'm glad to get the 100D, glad with the price, and glad I don't need to go back into the Bay Area, or deal with their communication gaps to wait and try a home delivery.

• Love
Reactions: JQS3 and P85_DA
Yikes! But congrats on a 100D! And congrats on going all electric and all Tesla! Pics, please! :)

It´s not like it should be a surprise to Tesla that there would be volumes like this, but I guess it takes time to add and train staff?

I delayed my Model 3 order because I didn't want to rush to buy at the end of the quarter. Aggravation is very tiring. @invalid I hope your new Model X is a joy to own.

To make the time pass more quickly Elon should be posing for photos. When Elon gets tired, a cardboard cutout of Elon could be made available.

• Funny
Reactions: JQS3
I delayed my Model 3 order because I didn't want to rush to buy at the end of the quarter. Aggravation is very tiring. @invalid I hope your new Model X is a joy to own.

To make the time pass more quickly Elon should be posing for photos. When Elon gets tired, a cardboard cutout of Elon could be made available.

Yeah, mainly wanted to close it to get the free lifetime supercharging. This is our family car, where we'll be going places much more in it than in my 3, so it would be useful. Plus going to the 100D got the promotional interest rate.

The host had mentioned that Kimbal had been around the delivery center earlier in the week. Apparently they were having people come in from the Sparks Gigafactory to help too. When I'd see behind the "employees only" door, it was just a mob of people back there.

Elon:

Hey let's build 5000 cars a week!

Later: Wait, i was supposed to figure out in advance i had to hire staff and plan how to actually deliver them to customers? Eh whatever fremont can figure it out. Maybe we can just add free labor by using existing owners.

I'm going to go tweet some more nonsense now.

Last edited:
Reactions: JQS3
Posting some pics. First one is at delivery, others are today as I got to take a closer look at things.

The car was abysmally dirty. First few shots show some kind of spray splatter. Guessing some of this was their quick wash down. Gave it a very good, careful wash down. I don't want to add swirls!

Afterwards, much of all that was gone and it looked pretty good. Definitely have swirls, but not terrible. Found a few spots of overspray. Noticed them yesterday, but assumed it was like all the other stuff. A couple passes with the polisher, orange pad, and some M105, followed by a white pad and some M205, and it was gone (forgot an after pic, doh!). Have some more still on passenger rear quarter panel, but was more subtle.

Tomorrow will get the interior up to a basic functional level.

PPF appointment is Wednesday, so will likely paint correct the front, hood, and mirrors on Tuesday.

We were originally intending to wheel swap the 22" ones for 20s, but they're kind of starting to grow on me.

Attachments

• IMG_0370.JPG
    IMG_0370.JPG
    599.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0379.JPG
    IMG_0379.JPG
    388.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0380.JPG
    IMG_0380.JPG
    413.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0381.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG