TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

90% Of Electric Car Owners Won’t Return To Gas

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by TMC Staff, Jan 11, 2019.

1. TMC Staff

A massive 88 percent said they would not return to internal combustion-powered cars. Almost nine in 10 electric vehicle drivers would never go back to driving a car powered by petrol or diesel, according to new research. A study by electric vehicle YouTube channel Fully Charged found that 88 percent of plug-in car drivers said...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  2. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Unfortunately I'll have to drive a gas car every once in a while since I'm turning in my Volt. But I'll never purchase a gas vehicle ever again.

Standard Battery can only come as soon as possible!

3. Kanting

Kanting Member

I won't buy another ICE, but I want to keep my old ICE cars as long as possible.

• Like x 1
  4. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

I am very happy with my Model X and cannot imagine getting an ICE car when my lease is up in a couple of years. I may not get a Tesla next time, but I am pretty sure I will get another EV.

• Love x 1
  5. hill

hill Active Member

we got a plugin minivan & unloaded our beloved X (lease) due to dissatisfaction with V9 UI - ghosting windshield - cost of its lease vs time in the shop - future repair cost concerns - 1/2 shaft shudder - discontinuance of features - yellow screen boarder, etc. Despite the down sides of the particular X we ended up with, if just a couple of the issues wouldn't have made the list - we'd have kept it.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. tomas

tomas Only partially psycho

That was >5 years ago for me. Haven’t (4 EVs bought since 2012) and won’t buy ICE again.

7. Lozza12

Lozza12 Member

I’m a driver of a lowly 24kWh Leaf and I can’t stand driving the Toyota Corolla fleet cars at my work. CVT gearboxes are particularly awful but ICE cars in general are unresponsive, smelly and lurch a lot. Can’t wait for the RHD Model 3!

8. AZGLFR

AZGLFR New Member

Bought my 2015 S85D seven months ago , sold my Prius V to another family member . I will never go back to ICE ...

9. ORB

ORB Member

Great to hear, and welcome to TMC!

10. Latorre

Latorre Member

Agreed. I Love driving my MS. My wife called me out the other day because she noticed I always take the long way home so I can get a few more miles of drive time.

I've own'd Honda, Toyota, Ford, Acura, BMW and Tesla...I can not wait to see the rest of the car world to catch-up to Tesla. The competition will produce vehicles that we can't even imagine. I want that Electric BMW MX6 or the 2021 Tesla Redesign. Can't wait for the announcement!

• Like x 2
  11. mrgrtt123

mrgrtt123 Member

The article is true, only a few will want to have a car that is run by gasoline nowadays.

• Like x 2
  12. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

We bought our first EV, a Long Range Model 3, in May and were so blown away by the convenience, comfort and performance that we bought another Model 3 (Performance) in September. Both are awesome and anytime I have to drive an ICE vehicle I'm shocked by how crude and ancient it feels (even if it's new). Count me as one that could never go back to the old way and all the disadvantages that entails.

13. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

This Exactly!, my brother-in-law bought a model 3 as well and now he is converted, we will never go back!

14. Ormond

Ormond Member

I’ve extended my Model X lease while I shop for a replacement or decide to buy it. I usually switch vehicles every two years. I’m a car guy and there are a few makes and models on my bucket list. Now I am perplexed and conflicted .

I looked at the I-Pace and enjoyed driving it, but there’s no dealership within 60 miles of my home.

There are not many EV choices at this point. I switch to ICE does seem a step backwards.

15. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

I'm a new EV owner...almost a year now...but now I'm looking at Manual Transmission cars. One drive in my buddies manual Cayman 981 Flat Six a few weeks ago was so freakin visceral....wow. Maybe a GT500 or Hellcat .... Supercharged V8, 700+HP manual :D.

• Like x 1
  16. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Neither my husband nor I would go back to owning an ICE. Bad enough are the times when we've had one of our cars in for service and needed a loaner and not had a Tesla to drive. Always can't wait to return it and get our car back. When my dad passed away he wanted me to have his fairly new ICE top of the line vehicle and I told my mom to sell the car and use the money for herself. Didn't even want a free one. Kept driving my 2001 Avalon knowing I'd either get a Model S or the Model 3 I ended up ordering. No regrets at all and never looking back.

• Like x 2
  17. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Why?

18. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I said I would never buy another gas car again. I ended up buying one a few months ago...

To convert to electric.

19. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Sometimes you need a reminder on why EVs are superior. :p

20. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

Cuz the driving experience is more engaging with a manual....and lots more visceral with a big block....some folks like that some folks don't. My EV will still take the brunt of the daily driving miles.