Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

940hp roadster hyper car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Total pipe dream. No way Tesla can hit those price a performance targets at the same time soon. A year without a new car is supposed to be an issue after the three years we've been waiting for the X?

Tesla's mission statement for renewable transportation means that any distraction from the Model 3 is improbable - if they'd known how well the S would sell, we probably wouldn't be getting the X before the 3 either.
Walter

What if they've already been working on it either directly or indirectly with a super light skateboard for the model 3? They may already be really close, the main thing they'd have to solve is the cooling issue, others than that, the tech is already available. The biggest roadblocks to me for the model 3 have little to do with the R&D for that car, as there's way less to do with that car, no fancy doors, a simpler steel skateboard, drivetrain is already done. The model 3 seems easy in comparison to the X or S, why do they need so much time? IMO, it's not because of R&D that it's being delayed until 2017, it's mostly because of the battery factory which can't be rushed. In the meantime...

- - - Updated - - -

Nice novel, but absolutely ZERO chance we will see a new Roadster before the Model 3

Zero chance is pretty strongly worded, you know something the rest of us don't?

Like I said in my post, I don't want anything to slow down the Model 3, I'm a major Tesla fan, my wife owns the P85D, and I invest in their stock and I know how much the Model 3 means to the company, that said, I just don't see why they need so much time to release model 3 from an R&D and testing perspective. To me it's less about the car and more about extraneous factors like gigafactory. Because of that, IMO, they have time to release the Roadster while they wait on the other factors to be finished and as I mentioned, it can dovetail with Model 3 R&D.

Perhaps a cheaper method for fabricating CFRP is to the Roadster 2.0 what the Gigafactory is to the Model 3?

Undoubtedly we will see a follow up to the Roadster - in fact Elon has personally accepted a cheque for the first one to come off the line (can't remember where I saw this, probably an interview on YouTube). Knowing what we know of Elon, it's safe to assume he wants this thing to be in an absolute league of its own in terms of pricing, performance, etc. Perhaps we will see a sub-200K car that is able rub shoulders with the hyper car crowd? To create something that costs 1/5th of the competition, yet performs as well or better is very much Elon's style (Space X, anyone?).

My bet is on the next Roadster to be a lightweight fire-breathing missile aimed straight at Ferrari, Bugatti, McLaren, et al yet priced below a Porsche Panamera.

ETA: 2020 at the absolute earliest.

You all owe me a cookie if I'm right :tongue:

Elon Musk has told us that designing the car is essentially the easy part. What 'takes so long' is designing, building, and testing the 'machines that make the machines', the building that houses them, and the processes by which they are assembled, along with negotiating the logistics involved in working with suppliers.

Just because there are nowhere near as many moving parts as an ICE in an EV drivetrain, doesn't mean that there aren't still thousands of parts to design, source, fabricate, account for, stock, warranty, install, and do quality control over. The most insignificant of these is bound to catch the attention of Customers, Critics, and Naysayers if not 'just right'. The goal is to get them to be no less than so good they are not noticed at all. Simply being in place, performing a function so well as to be appreciated for the presentation of the whole.

And yet, these parts must fit together in such a way that allows: assembly to progress with ease either manually or robotically in a minimum time frame; while also being seamless, giving a sense of quality, sturdiness, and solidity with no exposed bolts, caps, connectors, or gaps; and making disassembly straightforward when there is a need to make repairs or upgrades via removal and replacement. All that is, "...really, really hard..." to do, according to Elon Musk. Not impossible, just a serious challenge that must be met. And they must go through the entire process with every single vehicle they develop.

That said, I believe that Tesla Motors is much further along in the process than most, even among enthusiasts, believe. The company specializes in doing hard things the smartest way possible. They find solutions and enact them as quickly as possible. All while continually searching for any and all quality control issues that may arise, then finding their solutions as well.

So, yes... Tesla Motors will offer a full line of vehicles far sooner than most expect. For anyone waiting for a Station Wagon, a Coupé with Falcon Wing Doors, a New Roadster/Cabriolet, a Hypercar, or a Pickup Truck, it may well seem as though it is 'taking FOREVER'. Trust that no one is more impatient than Elon in that regard.

Also, please understand that in the eyes of the traditional automobile manufacturers who intend to bear the banner of ICE Supremacy to their graves, everything that Tesla Motors does happens too fast! At light speed, when they are riding a tricycle. Because when it comes to the notion of a compelling, performance oriented, long range, affordable, electric vehicle 'for the masses', they have convinced themselves that such a thing cannot, and must not exist. So their continual strategy has always been to distract, delay, and deny any movement toward alternative vehicles.

Yes, they believe their own [BOLSHEVIK].

Tesla announces Model S Ludicrous upgrade, 90-kWh battery

Ludicrous speed?

So, take this drivetrain, 762 HP now, gears, and a light body (probably carbon fiber), cooling, suspension, new braking system, and good downforce and you've got the car with a lot of tech available today.

Only new things are:
- Gears
- cooling
- suspension
- better brakes
- good downforce

I think the guy they hired from the RedBull F1 racing team should be able to help with a lot of this! :)

Tesla announces Model S Ludicrous upgrade, 90-kWh battery

Ludicrous speed?

So, take this drivetrain, 762 HP now, gears, and a light body (probably carbon fiber), cooling, suspension, new braking system, and good downforce and you've got the car with a lot of tech available today.

Only new things are:
- Gears.. Will probably just add weight and complexity, The limiting factor is current draw from the battery and thermal management. Gearboxes have hard time dealing with the torq of the motors. They had a 2speed gearbox for the roadster but what I've heard and read it was the worst part because it broke all the time. Can one have a motor with lots of torq and gear it towards a lesser ratio that would be better.
- cooling.. This is something they need to work on but has greatly been enhanced. I've heard that the newer cars, newer than bjorn nylons cars handle the temp better but have no confirmation on this matter.
- suspension. It's already great for a saloon.
- better brakes. Its multiple tons that have to slow down. Better work on weight loss. The top brakes are Brembo. Which breaks would u suggest?
- good downforce. yeah but it would have to be something like the regera from Koenigsegg Active top mounted fully foldable wing bcz of range loss.

I think the guy they hired from the RedBull F1 racing team should be able to help with a lot of this! :)

If one gets the weight of the battery down it could be better in all aspects but if one takes batteries away it will not be as powerful* will not have the same range%.

Like Elon said about the upgrade to ludicrous.
*Hp is about amps(current draw) easier to draw current from many batteries rather than a small one.
% range is about kWh's.