Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A 387.4 mph electric vehicle may be a glimpse of the future?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From some of the comments above, for aviation we still seem to be very much in the mocking territory that Top Gear were about Electric Cars just 13 years ago. Remember When Top Gear and Tesla Clashed Over the Roadster? And look where we are now.

Will there be a repeat of history with air travel?

Less than 100 years on, the Rolls-Royce Spirit of Innovation has already surpassed the speed of the R.J Mitchell designed Supermarine S.4 racing seaplane at 226mph in 1925 and only slightly slower than the 1931 407mph record of the iconic Supermarine S.6B, from which much was learned to later help develop the Supermarine Spitfire. Hopefully no repeat of the events that drove development of aircraft in the 1930's, but you only have to look back through history to see how 'quickly' aviation progressed through likes of Lancaster 1940's, Vulcan 1950's, Concorde 1960's.

I personally see quite a few similarities from 100 years ago and the possibilities that come from it. Quite possibly history beginning to repeat.

Uni friend works on this, bunch of pretty amazing people doing real engineering here. The rest of the industry is betting on SAF as the way to green wash flight as 'green enough' for the masses so I think it's great that RR are doing this.

Incredibly similar to the roadster. Existing chassis with electric crowbarred in, but you can't argue it doesn't work. I haven't don't the math on the battery kWh (articles I read unhelpfully used the mobile phone as a unit of measure), but it all went into the same space as before.

The industry touts SAF as the way forward and hold it up as an opportunity for farmers and small holders to make money. Yet I'm pretty sure my higher geography being pretty disapproving of cash crops :-\

Reactions: init6