Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A better route planner accuracy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is probably an "it depends" question but how accurate have people found the destination charge estimates on ABRP? I take delivery of my SR+ tomorrow and for the first week the wife has very kindly agreed to let me take it to work. It's a 144 mile trek mainly on motorways and ABRP reckons I will arrive with 27% charge if I start fully charged. There is a charger where I normally park but if for some reason it's out of order or in use then this would also give me enough charge to try again the next day (I stay in a hotel that unfortunately has no charging facility).

So assuming decent conditions and I don't drive like a loon how bad will my range anxiety be? :)

ABRP has lots of variables/adjustments. For motorways, its a pretty good guide IF those variables match your driving conditions. I use worse case conditions (weather, weight, speed, sensible start/stop/end SoC %, mental adjustment for sentry use, and enough spare charge for a plan B) and can be pretty confident that things will work out, and if they don't, the Tesla energy graph will give an early indication of a problem - although not so useful for multileg trip. Even in more challenging/less predictable conditions, this has always bought us in slightly ahead of the prediction. Not sure I would be so trusting if I wanted to eek every last % out of the prediction though.

I know this is probably an "it depends" question but how accurate have people found the destination charge estimates on ABRP? I take delivery of my SR+ tomorrow and for the first week the wife has very kindly agreed to let me take it to work. It's a 144 mile trek mainly on motorways and ABRP reckons I will arrive with 27% charge if I start fully charged. There is a charger where I normally park but if for some reason it's out of order or in use then this would also give me enough charge to try again the next day (I stay in a hotel that unfortunately has no charging facility).

So assuming decent conditions and I don't drive like a loon how bad will my range anxiety be? :)

Ive found it ers on the cautious side with its estimates - to the extent that it was upto 10% different in its predictions to what the Tesla’s car navigation predicted and what I actually did.

I only have 2 trips (Glasgow - London via Grantham and back again to base this on though…)

ABRP stated depart with 80% - charge Gretna for 20 mins, charge scotch corner for 1 hour (to 98%), charge Grantham to 80%….

In reality - I left with 80%, arrived Gretna with the car telling me I didn’t need to charge and would arrive Scotch Corner with 12% but I needed the loo so I plugged in and went to the loo and grabbed a coffee to take away - left to scotch corner - arrived with 14% - plugged in, charged to 80% (the car nav told me I could go at 70 but I wanted some safety) I arrived Grantham with 24% left…

Return was similar - I’m now going to use ABRP for a guide and piece of mind but I’m going to generally just use and trust the Tesla nav as it seems very accurate.

I plan the route as accurately as I can with weights, winds etc and have the excel printout to hand with annotated percentages that I have to be at in order to reach the destination supercharger. (like a PLOG Pilots log I used when I used to fly) Just in case of rain enroute.
So I have my destination and alternates set up in case the weather changes.
I find that ABRP is pretty accurate even over the 285 miles from home to Tebay or 250 to Gretna.

Thanks for the info, it sounds like I might be ok then :) There are superchargers on route so if it's looking ropey I can always make a quick stop.
I plan the route as accurately as I can with weights, winds etc and have the excel printout to hand with annotated percentages that I have to be at in order to reach the destination supercharger. (like a PLOG Pilots log I used when I used to fly) Just in case of rain enroute.
So I have my destination and alternates set up in case the weather changes.
I find that ABRP is pretty accurate even over the 285 miles from home to Tebay or 250 to Gretna.
:D It sounds like you are far more organised than me. I used to be a software developer for a company that produced briefing packs for commercial airlines but none of that discipline rubbed off

Reactions: exlatccatsa

It's great that you can take full advantage of 100% charging without worrying about it impacting the longterm health of your battery pack as you will have the new Chinese LFP version. ABRP is generally good (if it has all the necessary settings adjusted appropriately) but you also have the reassurance of the in-car energy graph. So long as you put your destination in the nav at the start you will be able to see in real time how you're doing in relation to the predicted usage. It would be worth checking out the public chargers in the area in case you need them. Zap map will give you the necessary info and you can download any necessary charging company apps in advance. Read the "chat" on Zapmap to get an idea if certain chargers have been problematical recently.

Reactions: Cloggie
Thought I would update after my drive to work today. I completed the 144 mile journey with 33% to spare. Mostly motorway at 70mph so pretty pleased with that as I had also removed the aero covers from the wheels. Got to the parking and both chargers were free, after a little head scratching I managed to get the charge started so should be at 90% when I get back after work

It errs on the cautious side but I have found it very good. I have premium so it takes into account wind and rain too.

Although Sometimes I wonder if it calculates optimal charge points taking in to account the charging curve of the car? The reason I ask is because I recently did a trip from Manchester to London. I started with 100% and it was saying I should stop for a top up in Hilton Park. It's not that far away and I would have arrived with high SoC and therefore not get a decent charging speed. The Tesla itself took me all the way to Oxford which would make more sense from a charging curve point of view, it would have been below 20% (and with a warm, 3 hours at 70 MPH Pack) so able to suck a lot of KWhs quickly.

In the end I actually YOLOed it (as Tesla Bjorn would say) and got home with 5% left to spare.