Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Route planners with waypoints and battery level thresholds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for a way to change the trip planner stops to match my bathroom breaks every 2-2/12 hours on the turnpikes. If I follow the current plans, I end up not charging at some stops, then charging for 30-45 min at other stops. 15 Min at each stop would save time in the long run. ABRP works, but it would be nice to have it all on the car.

• Funny
Reactions: Ev_Rider
ABRP just doesn’t work.
  • I helps find Superchargers but stopping every 60/80 miles for a 10 minute charge is nuts. (Charging stops: Few But Long is selected.)
  • Wheeler Ridge CA (I5 / 99 split) has two Superchargers. On one side of the freeway a 150kW, other side a 250kW. I was routed to the 150kW SC.
  • I’d like to eat breakfast at Wheeler Ridge while charging to 100%, instead of the 65% ABRP recommends. Skip the 2nd SC and go right to the 3rd on their list where I need 100% again because there are no chargers of any type at my destination where I’ll be for three days. NONE OF THIS IS POSSIBLE WITH ABRP.
I‘d be more than happy to pay for ABRP if it worked. Like to see Waze buy ABRP.

Last edited:
for me ABRP isn't working well at all while driving.
I do use it sporadically to get an idea on my route before I leave tho
I gave ABRP better consumption data (based upon actual data from my M3) and it gives much better predictions. I then plan the route using ABRP (using the middle setting for charging stops) and give the final destination to my GPS and I give the in-car nav the next charging stop. I then ask my copilot (wife) to check the status of the chosen charging stops (I have a CCS1 adapter so not always SCs) using Plugshare. I have both ABRP and Pligshare set as favourites for the car's webbrowser, but a cell phone can do the same. I find the car's nav to be over conservative in choosing SC stops and the time for each stop. Sometimes it just doesn't want to pick the most efficient SC location for the chosen route so I try and scan along the route using Plugshare.

ABRP just doesn’t work.

ABRP just doesn’t work.

• I’d like to eat breakfast at Wheeler Ridge while charging to 100%, instead of the 65% ABRP recommends. Skip the 2nd SC and go right to the 3rd on their list where I need 100% again because there are no chargers of any type at my destination where I’ll be for three days. NONE OF THIS IS POSSIBLE WITH ABRP.
My opinion is that you have unrealistic expectations of simple route planners and navigation aids. Sometimes one just has to use their brain. I use ABRP prior to trips to just do a basic check on charger options, arrival times etc, then determine the stops myself and then use Tesla nav to jump from charger to charger so it will precondition battery. However it is very upsetting that the free ABRP doesn't know your breakfast location eating preferences. Perhaps a better place to air that grievance is with the people that make ABRP?

My opinion is that you have unrealistic expectations of simple route planners and navigation aids. Sometimes one just has to use their brain. I use ABRP prior to trips to just do a basic check on charger options, arrival times etc, then determine the stops myself and then use Tesla nav to jump from charger to charger so it will precondition battery. However it is very upsetting that the free ABRP doesn't know your breakfast location eating preferences. Perhaps a better place to air that grievance is with the people that make ABRP?
I never said it should know.

Said I'd like to change to charge to 100% at stop #1, then skip Supercharger #2 and charge at #3 before heading into the mountains. Allowing me to skip a stop and overriding the recommended charge seems pretty basic.

It seems to me that onboard gps does a good job maximizing efficiency and minimizing trip time. I did not find anything else ( including ABRP ) bringing any tangible value to the table.
I do however see a descent flaw in the onboard gps , and that is that it will ONLY "dynamically recalculate" stops if usage is high and prediction is that not enough energy is available to reach the next SC.
I would notoriously cancel my route, restart it and achieve what i thought was better SC frequency ( for example - stopping at approx 10% SOC rather than 26%)
Another downside for me is - its inability to provide an option to pick routes ( unless i force a waypoint)
This was particularly annoying on my last trip from florida, as i kept being forced to take a local "shortcut" around Nashville rather than taking interstate.
The local shortcut was an awesome rally stage the first time around few months back taking that same trip ( in the M3P at that time)
I wasn't about to do that at night , and certainly not in the MYP

So people that use ABRP use it on their phone screen while driving?
Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am new to this, still waiting for my ordered MY.

In general, I mostly use ABRP at home on my computer while preparing my trip.

I would recommend playing with ABRP, because it is a little bit tricky to use it​
and to understand the numerous settings provided to customise your itineray.​
Then I make a printout summary or I make a screen copy of the itineray​
and the additional detail information and send those images to my phone.​

Something to consider when doing a long trip is to choose as preference fast V3 Superchargers (250 kW)
instead of the older V2 Sperchargers (150 kW) which share the same inverter, so you get only half of the power.

Also I check what amenities are available at the the Superchargers that will use,
and modify the ABRP predefined itineary to use the Superchargers that I prefer.​
Note: Some amenities providing restrooms might be closed, depending the time or arrival,​
to know in advance whereto find a rest area, which are open 24h.

One limitation of ABRP is that you cannot reverse the itinerary like Google does.
You need to save your itinerary and generate a new return itinerary.
So I use two accounts on two separate browsers, such as Google and Firefox.
This allow me going back and forth between my going up itinerary and my return itinerary.

During the trip, I solely use the Tesla Navigation, because the consumption is more accurate.
It is difficult to estimate the weather condition, in particular the wind strength and direction.​
Also the trafic might affect your speed, in particular on a two lanes each side freeways,​
when a big truck decides to pass another one and forece you yto slow down.​
However I try using the Supercharging that I selected in advance using ABRP,
instead of the ones that the Tesla Navigation selected. I wish there was a setting​
to indicate that you prefer using the V3 Superchargers when possible.​
Note: I try to end each lap with about 25% to be sure that the car will precondition the battery,
because this feature will not work with a battery with less that 20% of charge.​

In the case of Superchargers located inside a city, often inside a shopping center,
is to look at the itineray gernerated by the Tesla Navigation.
Because this itinerary is often not optimal and make detours.
You could find a better and more simple itinarary using Google or ABRP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ev_Rider
Note: I try to end each lap with about 25% to be sure that the car will precondition the battery,
because this feature will not work with a battery with less that 20% of charge.​

I don't believe this is accurate.
I try to arrive at destination with around 10% and it always preconditions, weather permitting. On my last florida trip where it was 90+ most of the route I don't think i saw the car precondition once .

ABRP just doesn’t work.
  • I helps find Superchargers but stopping every 60/80 miles for a 10 minute charge is nuts. (Charging stops: Few But Long is selected.)
  • Wheeler Ridge CA (I5 / 99 split) has two Superchargers. On one side of the freeway a 150kW, other side a 250kW. I was routed to the 150kW SC.

Solution: Enter the ROUND TRIP (back to your starting point) into ABRP and/or the car's NAV. That will give you the plan that works for the entire trip, and won't have you arrive at your destination running on empty.

It may seem counter-intuitive that more frequent stops require less overall time, but it's true, due to the battery's charging curve. Charging speed slows dramatically past about 80%, so it's almost always quickest to head out once you reach 80%.

I say all of this as a 5-year Tesla owner, with 25+ >400-mile road trips trips under my belt.

The car will pre-condition when it knows where your next SUPERCHARGER stop is - if that's not programmed into the NAV, it won't. And it may not depending on myriad other factors.

I do need to ask why you want to charge to 100% on road trips? I presume it's because you think that's the fastest way to road-trip? It's not, and not by a long shot. ABRP (and the car) will suggest the fastest route from point to point, and that NEVER includes charging to 100% unless there's no other way to get to the next charging stop.

It may seem counter-intuitive that more frequent stops require less overall time, but it's true, due to the battery's charging curve. Charging speed slows dramatically past about 80%, so it's almost always quickest to head out once you reach 80%.

I say all of this as a 5-year Tesla owner, with 25+ >400-mile road trips trips under my belt.

A bit of a misunderstanding

I only charge to 100% once - at home before i leave.
Then - let the nav do its thing unless i see programmed stops with 25 to 30 SOC - then i usually recalculate about half way of that stint and usually end up with arrival with 10% or so SOC.

Please note - this is not a very well researched by me pattern. Just simply figure charging from 10% is better ( quicker ) than charging from 25 to 30 as my experience shows that speed falls at about 40% SOC drastically

I can see where I can set the arrival SOC for each stop, but not departure. Can you give me a pointer?
1689173924782.png

1. Expand the stop
  2. Click on the time/percent button in the middle of the charge field (set to percent in this image)
  3. Enter the departure charge level
  4. Hit the big plan route button to update
This image shows the original plan was to charge to 78% but it's being updated to charge to 100%

• Helpful
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney