Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Route Planner - across Toronto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just doing some research and I can't figure out how to get ABRP to use the 407 across Toronto when planning a route from London to Montreal. I tried dropping way points on the Markham Supercharger but then it just routes me back down through Toronto back to the 401(totally impractical). Am I missing something simple?

Thanks,

EDIT; SR+

I don't think you're missing anything. I just tried it and it seemed to be fine with driving on the 407. See pic attached below.
londontomontreal.JPG

Google maps needs some sort of a utility function that you can put in to make the tradeoff for toll roads like the 407. For most folks it isn't worth it to spend $10 to save 2 minutes but how would the algo know this? You should put in a value of your time to let it make the calc.

Same thing....does not show the option. Tolls are not excluded in the settings.
ABRP's goal is to get to your destination as quickly as possible, optimizing the route so that you spend the least time charging. It thinks that for your specific combination of range/efficiency, starting SoC, arrive to charger SoC, and final destination SoC settings, it is faster for you to use the charger that's not on 407. If you play around with banning specific chargers (right-click on them on the map to see the setting to avoid a charger), it will give you alternative routes that avoid them. For what it's worth, ABRP's routing algorithm is not perfect by any means either, so sometimes it will make sub-optimal suggestions.

ABRP's goal is to get to your destination as quickly as possible, optimizing the route so that you spend the least time charging. It thinks that for your specific combination of range/efficiency, starting SoC, arrive to charger SoC, and final destination SoC settings, it is faster for you to use the charger that's not on 407. If you play around with banning specific chargers (right-click on them on the map to see the setting to avoid a charger), it will give you alternative routes that avoid them. For what it's worth, ABRP's routing algorithm is not perfect by any means either, so sometimes it will make sub-optimal suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestion on banning some chargers.....the algorithm definitely does not know everything.....the 407 is waaay faster most of the day.

Google maps needs some sort of a utility function that you can put in to make the tradeoff for toll roads like the 407. For most folks it isn't worth it to spend $10 to save 2 minutes but how would the algo know this? You should put in a value of your time to let it make the calc.
Google maps has that built in. Click on "Options".

Google maps has that built in. Click on "Options".

I see the option to allow or not allow toll roads. I don't see an option that says use toll roads only if it saves more than X minutes, which is what I think @wayner wants (actually sounds like he might want a my time is worth $X per minute/hour option and the algorithm computes whether it's worth paying so much toll, but anyways).