Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad you like the site. The URLs are not that easy to shorten, there is a lot of information to convey. There should be no return or other special characters, they are probably added by the text editor later. For now, I will have to recommend the tips about URL shorteners...

Some minor feedback for this after generating a link just now. It seems like there are a lot of vars in the URL that are included even when they aren't set, extra chargers, long breaks, etc. Perhaps before actually generating the URL you could remove the unused vars? That would help quite a bit.

Also I think Google offers an API where you can give them a URL and they'll give you a shortened URL for sharing, so you may be able to build in the shortener directly. That would be for extra credit :D

Regarding "Replan" ... lets say that the button comes up, but I decide to wait before selecting...
1) If my SoC gets back within the initial plan, does the button go away?
2) If I wait tot select Replan, is it based on my currently calibrated values or the values that were calculated when the button first appeared?

1) If your actual SoC gets within 2% of the plan again, the button vanishes.
2) The calibration numbers are constantly updated, and the the latest numbers are used when you press the Replan button.

Some minor feedback for this after generating a link just now. It seems like there are a lot of vars in the URL that are included even when they aren't set, extra chargers, long breaks, etc. Perhaps before actually generating the URL you could remove the unused vars? That would help quite a bit.

Also I think Google offers an API where you can give them a URL and they'll give you a shortened URL for sharing, so you may be able to build in the shortener directly. That would be for extra credit :D

Generally, the linking has some bugs after I added the departure time option right now, but I will try to squeeze them out when I get the time. Potentially I could change the URL length then too.

Generally, the linking has some bugs after I added the departure time option right now, but I will try to squeeze them out when I get the time. Potentially I could change the URL length then too.

Ok, it was not really that hard to fix. Now URLs are like this: A Better Routeplanner

Tip: Paste a plan URL into your phone calendar. It will show up on the screen in the Tesla and you can actually click the link and get the plan in your car browser.

Oh that's much better.

Here's some more cool ideas to get the correct plan up in the car. If you can generate a code for each session and you know it's in the car, you can display a QR code on the car screen. Then you can use a file input field on the mobile site to access the phone's camera, scan the code, and the server can associate the two browser sessions and load whatever is up on the phone to the car screen. Then you don't need to try to sync calendars or type in a GUID or anything. This would only work if you're keeping an open socket from the server to the car's browser session, but it sounds like you are given the constant calculations, turn by turn, etc.

That's a cool idea, certainly technically possible! At the same time, you can already do the same thing by either logging in with an ABRP account on both the car and your phone and it will synchronize, or by using the URL-in-calendar method.

The last few times I've tried to start A Better Routeplanner in my S, I've received an error that said "No route found." Just now, from my laptop at home, I'm trying and getting "No route found."

Each time has been a route that worked in the past. If I put my energy usage at 0, it will calculate a route, but obviously doesn't give me any estimated charging times. If I put my energy usage back to my average, I get no route found again.

EDIT: I kept trying, and after at least a half dozen attempts at clearing my start and end points and trying over, it's working again. I don't know what's different, or if it will keep working.

• Disagree
Reactions: donauker
Hey blincoln,

I've used ABRP on two road trips in the past 2 weeks, thanks a lot for all the updates so far!

A few suggestions/bugs/etc:
  • The map zoom level seems to want to reset if you drive away from what ABRP believes is the route you're following. Sometimes I divert away from that route due to traffic, construction, or accidents, since I use ABRP for charge planning but Waze on my phone for the actual navigation. Under the same condition, it will also stop showing the graph because it believes you're not on the prescribed route.
  • It would handy to have a zoom level indicator somewhere on the map. It doesn't have to be an actual scale value, just a setting number such that I can go back to that zoom level later. For example, if all the way zoomed out is level 1, I might want to view the map at level 4. That way if I scroll the map, change zoom, or leave ABRP, I can come back to it and reset the zoom to level 4.
  • When clicking the "details" button to toggle between the SOC graph and the trip details, there's a few values there that don't make a lot of sense to me. Do you have documentation on where those values are coming from and/or how they're calculated? Some tweaks here might be helpful to more clearly display this info.
  • Right now, I can't navigate away from ABRP to another web page and then navigate back and pick up where it was. I have to do a replan, which requires editing the settings, and I lose any SOC tracking that I had going. I sometimes want to go to my Tesla Winds website to get a picture of current headwinds, or a weather site, or Tesla Waze. I'd like to go back to ABRP and have the page in the same state it was in when I left. (At least until Elon gives us a tabbed browser).
  • If the starting location for a route plan is "My Current Position", you should also assume that the starting SOC is the current battery level unless the user specifically types in a different starting SOC. When doing replans, I always have to manually put in the current battery SOC, otherwise it uses what I had previously entered on the last plan.
  • Similarly, if the current starting location is "My Current Position", then the starting time should be set to now. When I do replans, the times aren't accurate because I usually don't type in the current time.
  • If the plans cross time zones, the times are not local to the location of the supercharger or the waypoint/destination.
  • For the times, it would be useful in some cases to input an arrival time instead of a departure time, and calculate the times backwards so that the plan tells you when to leave.

Again, great work on this tool, it's my go-to tool for route planning.

My ultimate wish would be that Tesla gives us a nav system that integrates your charge planning from ABRP, the responsiveness and integration with the car of the native nav, and Waze routing. Right now I frequently have 3 maps up when driving on road trips -- Tesla nav, ABRP, and Waze on the phone.

Reactions: blincoln
The last few times I've tried to start A Better Routeplanner in my S, I've received an error that said "No route found." Just now, from my laptop at home, I'm trying and getting "No route found."

Each time has been a route that worked in the past. If I put my energy usage at 0, it will calculate a route, but obviously doesn't give me any estimated charging times. If I put my energy usage back to my average, I get no route found again.

EDIT: I kept trying, and after at least a half dozen attempts at clearing my start and end points and trying over, it's working again. I don't know what's different, or if it will keep working.

Glad that you got it to work again; it was probably some invalid value of a parameter (probably not at all your fault!). If you send me an email or PM with some route details I can have a look in the logs and see what was wrong, and perhaps fix a bug.

Hey blincoln,

I've used ABRP on two road trips in the past 2 weeks, thanks a lot for all the updates so far!

A few suggestions/bugs/etc:
  • The map zoom level seems to want to reset if you drive away from what ABRP believes is the route you're following. Sometimes I divert away from that route due to traffic, construction, or accidents, since I use ABRP for charge planning but Waze on my phone for the actual navigation. Under the same condition, it will also stop showing the graph because it believes you're not on the prescribed route.
  • It would handy to have a zoom level indicator somewhere on the map. It doesn't have to be an actual scale value, just a setting number such that I can go back to that zoom level later. For example, if all the way zoomed out is level 1, I might want to view the map at level 4. That way if I scroll the map, change zoom, or leave ABRP, I can come back to it and reset the zoom to level 4.
  • When clicking the "details" button to toggle between the SOC graph and the trip details, there's a few values there that don't make a lot of sense to me. Do you have documentation on where those values are coming from and/or how they're calculated? Some tweaks here might be helpful to more clearly display this info.
  • Right now, I can't navigate away from ABRP to another web page and then navigate back and pick up where it was. I have to do a replan, which requires editing the settings, and I lose any SOC tracking that I had going. I sometimes want to go to my Tesla Winds website to get a picture of current headwinds, or a weather site, or Tesla Waze. I'd like to go back to ABRP and have the page in the same state it was in when I left. (At least until Elon gives us a tabbed browser).
  • If the starting location for a route plan is "My Current Position", you should also assume that the starting SOC is the current battery level unless the user specifically types in a different starting SOC. When doing replans, I always have to manually put in the current battery SOC, otherwise it uses what I had previously entered on the last plan.
  • Similarly, if the current starting location is "My Current Position", then the starting time should be set to now. When I do replans, the times aren't accurate because I usually don't type in the current time.
  • If the plans cross time zones, the times are not local to the location of the supercharger or the waypoint/destination.
  • For the times, it would be useful in some cases to input an arrival time instead of a departure time, and calculate the times backwards so that the plan tells you when to leave.

Again, great work on this tool, it's my go-to tool for route planning.

My ultimate wish would be that Tesla gives us a nav system that integrates your charge planning from ABRP, the responsiveness and integration with the car of the native nav, and Waze routing. Right now I frequently have 3 maps up when driving on road trips -- Tesla nav, ABRP, and Waze on the phone.

Thanks for the long list of improvements! Some (like navigating away from the ABRP page in the browser) are probably hard to fix, whereas other things should definitively be quick fixes.

About the replanning: Right now, ABRP will automatically replan if you deviate from your route too much. If the plan has originally been done with the car SoC (by entering an empty value in the "Start Depart Charge" input box), the replanning should also be done based on the current car SoC. Similarly, if you plan without entering a departure time, the replan is done based on the current time. Does it not work like that for you? Or would you like it to behave differently? I am a little reluctant to override the values given if the settings if "My Current Position" is given as "From" - but perhaps it could give you a question to do so?

Those of you who have experience a bit weird routes from ABRP between chargers; give it another shot now. I have updated the routing backend settings so that larger roads are preferred, and also updated the default speed limits for North American roads. This should give you more realistic driving time estimates.

Reactions: rpez021
I have been using ABRP for the last two weeks for a 3000 mile road trip, and wow, what a great tool! I have not read this entire thread, but I just wanted to add that these two suggestions are really important:

I don't have SOC% set in my display, I have rated miles. So I have to do some easy mental math to estimate current SOC. But I know the API returns SOC%, so that should be really easy to plug in when starting location is "current position". Starting time is even easier. :)

Keep up the good work! I would donate if/when you take contributions.

Reactions: blincoln
I have been using ABRP for the last two weeks for a 3000 mile road trip, and wow, what a great tool! I have not read this entire thread, but I just wanted to add that these two suggestions are really important:

I don't have SOC% set in my display, I have rated miles. So I have to do some easy mental math to estimate current SOC. But I know the API returns SOC%, so that should be really easy to plug in when starting location is "current position". Starting time is even easier. :)

Keep up the good work! I would donate if/when you take contributions.

OK, two votes for the same thing ;-)

I have added a dialog which will ask you if you want to use the current car SoC and time, but only if
a) You are in a Tesla car browser
b) You are logged in to MyTesla (=ABRP can read your car SoC)
c) You have something else than the current car SoC (=empty) in the "Initial Charge" setting

Great! But can you please remove this constraint?!? I never use the car browser since it can't seem to save cookies/logins for more than 18 seconds. But I do all my ABRP planning on my cell phone or macbook air in the car.

thanks!

Well, sure, I just wanted to avoid making the desktop experience of ABRP to cluttered with dialog questions. Maybe not a problem - try it out now!

(I can't blame you for skipping the car browser, but actually ABRP works around the cookie problem and will remember your session. You are missing some real-time graphs and stuff if you do not run in the car browser)

Reactions: HankLloydRight
What a great tool !
ABRP is what I was waiting for. I did a 2000 miles vacation trip and can confirm the accuracy of calculation in any condition.

Unfortunately, for 3 or 4 days, the blue line showing the itinerary on the map doesn't show any more. My workaround is to display the navigation screen of the Tesla GPS, but I cant be sure that both engines consider the same roads. And it looks abit odd to have 2 mas displayed on the center screen...

I tried to soft reset the center screen, no change.

Do you have any clue about what to do ?

Again, congratulations !!!!

What a great tool !
ABRP is what I was waiting for. I did a 2000 miles vacation trip and can confirm the accuracy of calculation in any condition.

Unfortunately, for 3 or 4 days, the blue line showing the itinerary on the map doesn't show any more. My workaround is to display the navigation screen of the Tesla GPS, but I cant be sure that both engines consider the same roads. And it looks abit odd to have 2 mas displayed on the center screen...

I tried to soft reset the center screen, no change.

Do you have any clue about what to do ?

Again, congratulations !!!!

Thanks for the feedback, and yes, unfortunately, the overlay (route) lines on the maps have stopped working in the Tesla browser - given that it worked a week ago without any changes from my side, I assume it is Google who has changed something. Their own API demo of the Polyline feature does also not work in the Tesla any more.

I have reported it to Google at Sign in - Google Accounts - I hope they actually read these reports and do something about it. It may help if you add comments on the same issue.