Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A boomer mods his booming Y. The fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SteelClouds

Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2021
CA
Listings
So within 50 miles driving my new Y I have a significant problem. Low frequency booming air pressure. I’m hyper sensitive to this phenomenon with a single window down and the air pressure “thrumming “ or booming or what ever it’s called. I just know I hate it. So my new car is doing this over rough roads. So I go home and start reading up. I saw lots of notes here that this seems to be a long running issue with a heavy deck lid and rubber biscuits that give too much. I saw a few different ways to fix this and I see that tesla has in fact borrowed a few ideas. Regardless, it’s not fixed for me. I ended up making two small biscuits out of a high density foam I bought for a model 3 hack and placing them under the lid at the opening there are two rubber bumpers that come down and contact the plastic cover there with two cutouts. My foam is maybe 1/4 inch. I’d have to check. But the end results are no more booming and no air leaks. And yes, the deck lid is aligned pretty well so I’m not anxious to move it around. You can see where the rubber touches the foam and how does not leave much of an impression. I plan to foam the middle two also later this week as an experiment.

Attachments

• IMG_3385.jpeg
    IMG_3385.jpeg
    659.9 KB · Views: 7