Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A cool thing about the Gen 3 Wall connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last spring, when I had my Gen 3 Wall Connector installed in my parking spot, to replace my Sun Country Highway L2 charger, I thought I would be a basic dude and allow the "other" Tesla owner to use my spot when I was away. It turned out that when we returned from our trip, the "other" guy really didn't give a $h!t about my charger and left it near the floor. Now these things are actually quite competitively priced, but that still doesn't excuse a lack of respect for other people's things, especially when they lend them to you.

After a bit of research, I was able to lock the WC3 to my VIN. This is why upon initial connection, the led's are blue, while it authenticates the car. Smart thinkingTesla! Now if my friendly neighbour on our floor, gets their Tesla, I will add their VIN to my WC3, cuz I know they're cool.

IMG_0018.jpeg
IMG_0019.jpeg

Last spring, when I had my Gen 3 Wall Connector installed in my parking spot, to replace my Sun Country Highway L2 charger, I thought I would be a basic dude and allow the "other" Tesla owner to use my spot when I was away. It turned out that when we returned from our trip, the "other" guy really didn't give a $h!t about my charger and left it near the floor. Now these things are actually quite competitively priced, but that still doesn't excuse a lack of respect for other people's things, especially when they lend them to you.

After a bit of research, I was able to lock the WC3 to my VIN. This is why upon initial connection, the led's are blue, while it authenticates the car. Smart thinkingTesla! Now if my friendly neighbour on our floor, gets their Tesla, I will add their VIN to my WC3, cuz I know they're cool.

View attachment 906199View attachment 906200
It is amazing at the lack of respect others have when you are trying to share the love. A local tried the same thing, and they stole his charger.

Reactions: Soul Surfer
Here is my setup: two T EVs so far and two Gen. 3s. They are both installed inside with the Gen 3 power connector and cable extended, running through the outer walls, via small round holes with flap doors. Soon I will program each Gen 3 to only change these two T EVs. Therefore for security, the gen 3s are inside and charging access locked down. Amazing engineering by Tesla.

Reactions: Whoze
Here is my setup: two T EVs so far and two Gen. 3s. They are both installed inside with the Gen 3 power connector and cable extended, running through the outer walls, via small round holes with flap doors. Soon I will program each Gen 3 to only change these two T EVs. Therefore for security, the gen 3s are inside and charging access locked down. Amazing engineering by Tesla.
Great minds think alike! Haha! But I will use the mobile charger for now, until the garage work is complete.

I’ve posted before, the gen 3 provides so much flexibility and intelligence vs 5-15/5-20/6-50/15-50. Fact not everyone realizes rhe Gen 3 has a GFCI built in as a big value add As the family converts to EVs we will stick with Tesla and the gen 3 adapts to every max charging rate. Our MYP does 48 amps and our M3RWD does 30 amps. The gen 3 provides the max amps, charging rate per Tesla capability every time. My guess is that the cybertruck will require a new Gen 4 able to do 80 amps and of course everything below.

Fact not everyone realizes rhe Gen 3 has a GFCI built in as a big value add
That's not really a value add since every electric vehicle charging device is required to have GFCI built into it. They all do.

My guess is that the cybertruck will require a new Gen 4 able to do 80 amps and of course everything below.
I'm sure that's not going to happen. Tesla seems to have made the decision to reduce their whole ecosystem down to 48A as the highest power charging, else when they switched from the Gen2 to the Gen3, they wouldn't have made it less capable and lower power like that.

You have a point there, although there will be a F150 Lightening before a CT ever parks in my spot. I find it to be on the same level of “fugly” as that former abomination, the Pontiac Aztec.

I’m not looking to pick a fight. It’s just my opinion on what I like. To be honest, I do find the Semi to be sexy AF, in comparison.

Also, being mostly retired with lots of time, my WC3 on its 30 amp circuit, putting out 24 amps is more than sufficient. I don’t think I drive more than 320km/200miles per week, at most. The only time I do more is on the occasional road trip.

Peace out - JP

unfortunately, fortunately i still have a lot of children around me, hence need EV charging flexibility, why i prefer then gen 3..maybe gen 4 one day
best advice I am living with, put a 125A sub panel in your garage, if the main panel is not there already