Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A guy ran a red light and....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Smashed into me on the way home. Luckily everyone was fine.

Got home and got my configuration invite!! Perfect timing:)

So my decision to be made. Get the expensive one now to take advantage of the tax credit or wait for the cheaper one with less tax credit. Hmmm.

Also I realized that this accident may not have happened if I was in my three. I think the side camera would have seen the car and I would have got a collision warning. I was turning left onto a south bound road and the car ran his light and we connected whike I was in the middle if the turn. Anyone think this would have triggered a warning?

So my decision to be made. Get the expensive one now to take advantage of the tax credit or wait for the cheaper one with less tax credit. Hmmm.

Also I realized that this accident may not have happened if I was in my three. I think the side camera would have seen the car and I would have got a collision warning. I was turning left onto a south bound road and the car ran his light and we connected whike I was in the middle if the turn. Anyone think this would have triggered a warning?

Glad everyone was ok.

Not enough to prevent the accident. Only front cameras work right now.

I don't think there is a side collision warning on any car. It is kind of pointless as it would be too late and nothing you could do. There were a few times I would be T-boned if I start moving as soon as the light turns green. So now if I am the first car at a stop light, I take a sec to make sure both ways traffic stopped or coming to a stop before I moved. One time I did that and saw a van coming and it doesn't seem to try to stop. I waited there and the car behind started honking. A few seconds later, the car behind found out I just saved his life. The van was far and would not have hit me, but it will T-bone him at 50 mph.

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51
I don't think there is a side collision warning on any car. It is kind of pointless as it would be too late and nothing you could do. There were a few times I would be T-boned if I start moving as soon as the light turns green. So now if I am the first car at a stop light, I take a sec to make sure both ways traffic stopped or coming to a stop before I moved. One time I did that and saw a van coming and it doesn't seem to try to stop. I waited there and the car behind started honking. A few seconds later, the car behind found out I just saved his life. The van was far and would not have hit me, but it will T-bone him at 50 mph.
I was thinking that a side camera would have detected a high convergence rate and made a warning well before our planes crossed. Even if it was not well before I could have slowed it would have reduced the impact.

Last edited:
Tesla vehicles do have side collision detection and avoidance but they are currently limited to ultrasonics which are very limited. They would not be useful in this case. However, the radar width is useful for intersections and the cameras and radar likely would've detected the vehicle but too late to avoid the accident but it probably would've slowed the car down and shifted the impact to the front of the car (or maybe the car turning then avoids the accident).

LTAP (Lateral turn across path) is fairly well solved with EAP (it even doesn't overreact now when people turn in front of me but are not a threat (they are like 300 yards down the road and it used to brake aggressively. Now it sits back and brakes only when its a realistic threat (usually when I honk in frustrating while braking)).

Tesla vehicles do have side collision detection and avoidance but they are currently limited to ultrasonics which are very limited. They would not be useful in this case. However, the radar width is useful for intersections and the cameras and radar likely would've detected the vehicle but too late to avoid the accident but it probably would've slowed the car down and shifted the impact to the front of the car (or maybe the car turning then avoids the accident).

LTAP (Lateral turn across path) is fairly well solved with EAP (it even doesn't overreact now when people turn in front of me but are not a threat (they are like 300 yards down the road and it used to brake aggressively. Now it sits back and brakes only when its a realistic threat (usually when I honk in frustrating while braking)).
Interesting, thanks for that info.

My right front bumper/headlight and his front left wheel and fender were the main impact area. I was still in the turn, which was a sweeping turn rather than 90°. He came from behind on the right, in the lane I was going into, at full speed, never breaking. The impact made us parallel and then we skidded to the left to a stop. It seems like with the sweeping turn there would have been more time for the cameras to see him.

This right here is a good technique I also use. I make it a habit as often as possible to check the intersection and perpendicular traffic to make sure there are no vehicles in or continue to proceed into the intersection especially when I'm the first car at the stopped intersection. I've seen one too many events where there were drivers who didn't realize they had a red light. And the sad thing was, recently a couple of days ago, someone ran a red light from a very far distant. I was amazed how distracted that driver was. Good thing I was only making a right turn and not a left, and it was very late at night where there were no other cars.

i usually do check. This time I did not of course. In this case I'm not sure I would have seen him Initially there were no cars stopped at the light, they were all a distance away. He was the first through. The other cars were coming to a stop after the impact. I checked the rearview thinking "Did I run a light!!?"

After that kind of experience, I think you deserve to treat yourself with the expensive one. :p

As for the collision, I don't think the Model 3 would've automatically stopped/slowed down for you in your specific situation. It might've been able to issue a warning but only when it's too late. Maybe.

Two months ago, I was driving on the street with TACC enabled when a car ran a red light in front of me. Surprisingly, my Model 3 did slow down beforehand but I'm not sure if the vehicle was already ahead, or it was a coincidence with the usual AP ghost braking. It happened too fast to remember, but it does make me feel safer knowing the Model 3 was able to do that even if I wouldn't have collided anyway.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
After that kind of experience, I think you deserve to treat yourself with the expensive one. :p

As for the collision, I don't think the Model 3 would've automatically stopped/slowed down for you in your specific situation. It might've been able to issue a warning but only when it's too late. Maybe.

Two months ago, I was driving on the street with TACC enabled when a car ran a red light in front of me. Surprisingly, my Model 3 did slow down beforehand but I'm not sure if the vehicle was already ahead, or it was a coincidence with the usual AP ghost braking. It happened too fast to remember, but it does make me feel safer knowing the Model 3 was able to do that even if I wouldn't have collided anyway.
I was waiting not a situation where I would have been on autopilot but maybe AEB or an aural warning.

Anyway, yes I agree, time to read myself! That payment at 50k stings tho

Woops. Duplicate. Man, wish I could still edit the above.