Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A happy Tesla is an unplugged Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are few reasons I can think of:
  1. Main reason is age. 85 batteries are much older that 100. There are no 8 year old 100 batteries, there are 85's. The oldest 100 batteries are what 3 years old? Once the 100 batteries start reaching 5+ years, we'll see how they will behave and what adjustments Tesla has to make to keep them from catching on fire or dying within the 8 year warranty.
  2. Tesla has been changing the 18650 cell chemistry over time. 2012 18650 is no the same as 2020 18650.
  3. The battery pack design has been changing too, there were few versions of the 85, few versions of 100's too. As Tesla learns, they improve the design. I would imagine newer designs are able to keep the batteries at optimal temperatures better than the older designs, which might have an effect on the battery life.
  4. Tesla has been experimenting with different battery management strategies and learning which ones work best. The experiments which ended up damaging the batteries, so sometimes it requires curbing the wounded battery capabilities to keep it alive.

OK I agree with all your reasoning. However, this would indicate that the owners of older Teslas need to consider upgrading. I do feel it is wrong to cripple older cars via software, but I understand a battery going soft and not getting the same as new range for trips. Obviously, I have had similar issues with all my ICE cars, but never had a company intentionally cripple the car through an update when in for service.

Anyway, I just completed my testing for a 48 hour sitting in my driveway with Cabin Overheat off and Sentry off. Then I set the TeslaFi to deep sleep. I only used my app once to check on things.
Start of Deep Sleep range: 336.77miles.
After 48 hours of deep sleep- 335.9 miles.

The time I checked with my iphone, the car woke up to report and was awake for 30 minutes. It lost 0.55 miles during that time.

Too bad these two modes drain the battery so much because I would like to use them at long term parking. It seems the only practical use of Sentry and Cabin Overheat is while shopping for a couple hours, but not good for a long 15 day cruise.

The charging curves info from owners is scant and varies all over the map so it is hard to see a pattern.

It's as though owners of new cars aren't that interested. I guess many are only in for the duration of a lease so don't care what happens after they get rid.

TeslaLogger has some data for newer cars (100s) but there are so many factors not displaid with the charge data that it's hard to know what's behind the clusters.

Tesla has been changing the 18650 cell chemistry over time. 2012 18650 is no the same as 2020 18650.

True. And with no outside knowledge as to exactly what cell chemistry is in each battery rev its hard to know what to look for.

Tesla has been experimenting with different battery management strategies and learning which ones work best.

TeslaLogger really shows this up between car models and software versions. Makes me feel very much like a Guinea Pig.

This situation desperately needs more transparency if they're going to sell us one thing and then remove it without any notification down the road.

When there is supposedly so much control and procedure that goes into government performance / efficiency data, it is staggering how much twiddling Tesla does that clearly must have a significant effect on both performance, battery capacity and efficiency.

Evidently heat becomes both necessary for effective charging especially of older cells, but also detrimental. The more the two contradictory requirements overlap, I guess the longer the pumps end up running just following an algorithm. A pump failure could have similar symptoms, but not the only possible cause.

More data from the car would be helpful. Module temps, ambient temp.