Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Lesson Learned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

spoohne

Sep 9, 2021
NYC
Browsing around the local inventory yesterday for my area-- I found a car just out of state that met a lot of the specs I wanted.

I clicked on it, and went ahead and "Bought" it.

I was contacted by a member of the team @ The location where the car was being held. *Vienna VA*, and walked through the process, while they said they could not ship the car, I would be able to drive there-- pick it up, they'd give me temporary tags for VA, and they'd register the car for me in NY. Welcome to the Tesla family!

I was told I should cancel my outstanding reservation, which I did-- eating the 100$ reservation as a loss. But whatever-- I had my car! VIN and all. I was told to come down Saturday, and make sure I had my insurance lined up for delivery.

I called my insurance carrier-- provided the VIN, and had the car insured. I completed the finance end of things on Tesla-- and paid the downpayment + taxes.

I was set.

Until this afternoon. I received a call from the Vienna VA location, and they informed me that they could not register my vehicle in NY due to some sort of legislation-- and since I was financing, and not buying out right, there was no recourse for getting me that particular car. I would ONLY be able to accept a car that was IN NY STATE. As they refuse to ship cars outside of the area they're delivered to-- I was basically *sugar* out of luck.

Despite their sales advisor telling me to cancel my previously existing reservation. Despite them telling me this was absolutely fine and will be ready for pickup Saturday....

I'm left with about 8,000$ paid to tesla for the downpayment and taxes. My previous reservation obliterated...and nothing to show for it. Obviously I'm sure they're going to refund me my money at some point...but they didnt so much as offer a t-shirt for my woes. Nothing. I've heard tales of tough customer service, but this one was a real kick in the balls.

To be told it will be fine. To be told to cancel. To be told to go ahead and get insurance, and then less than 24 hours later, be told..."Wooops. Our bad. Tough luck, try again in February."

This one stings. I guess this serves as a lesson to be learned.

Well-- I would like to delete this thread if possible. If a moderator can. Tesla contacted me directly today and made it entirely right. They went above and beyond to resolve the issue. I truly did not expect as much, but wow...im stunned.
Instead of deleting the thread, tell us how they made it right!! We're curious.

Well-- I would like to delete this thread if possible. If a moderator can. Tesla contacted me directly today and made it entirely right. They went above and beyond to resolve the issue. I truly did not expect as much, but wow...im stunned.
So what did they do?
History tends to repeat itself, unless we learn from the past.
I’m in a similar “boat”, coincidentally with a Virginia Service Center …out of state and with money with Tesla.