Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A little confused about what features are not included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading up on the user manual before my delivery next week. The one thing I'm a little confused about is what does the Model 3 LR AWD come standard as far as driving aids is concerned? I ordered the car plain, no EAP or FSD. There are many things in the user manual that I sometimes see are not included (like auto-cruise where it'll slow down or speed up based on car in front), but what about lane change warnings or blind spot warnings?

You will receive blind spot warnings, collision avoidance warnings, emergency auto braking, and the steering will will rattle when you cross lanes without activating your turn signal. Most are configurable or can be turned off.

It also limits acceleration when there's an object in front of you (say to prevent unintended acceleration) and has side collision avoidance that’ll attempt to steer you out of the way of a hazard.

You'll still be able to see the traffic around you simulated on the screen and it will tell you how far away you are from something when you get to close to it, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciditad
Someone made a video illustrating how CC without EAP works:

What the video really needs is a demo of what happens when you approach a slower car... doesn’t it simply warn you (assuming you have Forward Collision Warning turned on) then slam on the brakes at the last second to avoid a collision (assuming you have Automatic Emergency Braking turned on)?

If you have both of these features turned off, will it crash full-speed into slowed traffic?

What the video really needs is a demo of what happens when you approach a slower car... doesn’t it simply warn you (assuming you have Forward Collision Warning turned on) then slam on the brakes at the last second to avoid a collision (assuming you have Automatic Emergency Braking turned on)?

If you have both of these features turned off, will it crash full-speed into slowed traffic?
I did quick search and couldn't find video depicting this on YouTube (I'm assuming no one wants to test driving up to a vehicle at full speed lol) but from my own experience, if Forward Collision Warning & Automatic Emergency Braking is turned on, it will have the same behavior whether standard Cruise Control is on or off.

Forward Collision Warning (if enabled) - Works if you are driving between 7mph and 90mph AND it detects that the driver is not already applying the brake. It triggers an alert chime and highlights the object you are likely to hit in red on the screen.

Automatic Emergency Braking (if enabled) - If you are driving between 7mph and 90mph, a frontal crash is imminent AND evasive action is not taken (i.e. the steering wheel is turned sharply, the brakes are manually applied, you manually accelerate hard, or the obstacle is no longer detected) then it will automatically apply the brakes. I read somewhere that it only slows you down to about 25mph before returning control back to the driver, but I can't find that specific aspect in the manual.

If you have standard cruise control on and automatic emergency braking off, then yes, the car will likely slam straight into a slowed car in front.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciditad