TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A little worried before I order my raven X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Glassdome, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Glassdome

Glassdome New Member

Hi there,

What an awesome forum and source of info. I have to say though it has worried me a bit reading of the quality issues. We are about to order a new Tesla X performance with ludicrous and EAP, 6 seats in white.

I have held back reading the reviews here and I have three concerns which would be awesome to get views on:

1. Quality issues - what’s happened it sounds like quality has dropped massively on the 2019 Tesla x Raven?

2. Size - a general on as I’m in the U.K. and would love to here from U.K. drivers of the X, how have you found it day to day, is it too big for the U.K.? Particularly parking and multi-storey access?

3. There have been a few recent comments on EMF and ELF - electro magnetic fields and links with cancer from EVs and the magnetic fields from the motors and when charging. Is anyone else concerned about this?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I have trawled the forums and it’s hard to get specific views particularly from fellow U.K. drivers.

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

You gotta stop reading the forum and assuming that all the negatively here represents reality. Very few people post good things. Lots of folks have to find outlets to post bad things.

The quality hasn't dropped. There's already a lot of Model @ and X's in UK.

OMG, EMF and ELF. Are you as worried as the definitely harmful fumes from petrol?

I'm sure if I look around, I can find some links to cancer about people posting on forums.

It's NOT A PROBLEM.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  3. Terthen

Terthen Member

I did look into EMF one time in past. At the time the comparison demonstrated no difference to gas cars they compared... i think it was a YouTube video. Also the point above, gas car fumes that may linger in your garage probably aren’t any better.

4. Jellybean

Jellybean New Member

Hey Glassdome.

I’m a recent UK model x purchaser in london. I took a bit of a punt as I live in an apartment and have to park on a street a block away from my house so no at home parking or WiFi for that matter.

Regarding you points:

1. I’ve had no quality issues, although I did buy an inventory vehicle so assumed these are checked quite thoroughly. I do however have the yellow screen border issue for which service have told me a tool is coming and will send a mobile repair to me when available. Otherwise has been completely reliable over the last 6 months and fit and finish are pretty good - nothing like the Bentley continental that I had before, but the entire proposition of the car is that different that I don’t notice.

2. Size. Or should I say width. I didn’t realise how wide it was when I purchased it, had I known I probably would have thought twice - but then I would have missed out on all the fun of owning it. But to answer your point properly, in general driving and on street parking, it’s not really noticeable. Car parks are mostly fine, but I really had to go to slow at the Canary Wharf supercharger car parking as it’s very tight and many soho car parks I wouldn’t even attempt. But big ones like shopping centres and airports are absolutely no problem.

The real issue is the multitude of 6’6” & 7’ width restrictions in london and probably the uk in general. It simply will not fit. That means when you find one of these on a route you have to do a u turn and look for another way around. Quite embarrassing for example when you’re with passengers and realise you can’t take the rotherhithe tunnel!

But for the way I use a car which is just for meeting and a bit of fun commuting to my place in the country it works fine and you quickly learn the ones near you to avoid.

Only positive on the width is that you can fit a proper double mattress in the back and go camping (with full climate control) if you so wish.

3. That’s a real personal belief system.

If you can wait for the Y you probably should - but I didn’t want to as I’m not sure I’ll like the look anyway.

All the best, hope that’s helped a little.

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
  5. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I’ve said this before but it bears repeating: Car forums attract people who have something to complain about. Most Tesla owners are out there tooling around, enjoying their cars, completely unaware that this forum even exists.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 2
  6. Glassdome

Glassdome New Member

Thanks all, massively appreciated. The comments are hugely helpful. I think on (3) it’s scaremongering and I am siding with the view that it’s safe and certainly lesser of the two evils between electric and gas.

On size, it’s a shame it’s not two inches narrower. We have a couple of 6’6” restrictions near us. I had hoped it might fit but am assuming it doesn’t. Does the navigation in the Tesla have a feature to avoid these?

On parking, sounds like it’s okay too but hopefully it won’t mean more parking dings. Anyone experienced a number of parking dents in the X resulting from its size?

Thanks so much and such awesome help in our decision to buy.

7. thr33xx

thr33xx New Member

I would beg to differ. Having purchased a new 2019 Model X earlier this year, the build quality leaves a lot to be desired (body panel alignment, bent hood, drooping bumper cover). More so, customer service is horrendous at nearly all levels through my purchase. It was literally me doing their job for them in terms of communication and setting expectations. That said, I am still happy with the overall car itself in terms of performance, practicality (for a young growing family), and cost savings compared to gas, and time savings (carpool lane access).

8. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

Yes, this! Don’t trust the negative opinions and experiences, buy it!

It will be like that one time you bought the two-star product on Amazon, despite the reviews, only for one thousand times more money.

9. jeff1973

jeff1973 Member

this Forum can be a scary place to forge an opinion about Tesla’s, or maybe I’m just not very picky. Picked up my raven performance two weeks ago and have had no issues.

10. Glassdome

Glassdome New Member

Think you’re right. We’re likely to bite the bullet and get a Raven X. It’s just the size concern now as we’re in the U.K. and it’s a big vehicle. Not worried about roads other than 6’6” restrictions.

More concerned about parking and parking dings. Does it stick out massively when parallel parking? Fit in UK spaces without being right up against the neighbouring cars? Etc?