Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I Regret a LR X Given Known Issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Been considering a LR X (less likely but also a Model S for the extra range) for a while now, and the forums have been super helpful with learning more about the car. The good and the bad haha.

Im currently in a 2022 GLE that has been fine overall, but with how much I travel for work, autopilot/FSD has really started to pull me towards an X. MB drivers assist tools and lane keeping are "ok", but nothing I can trust or rely on anywhere near even basic autopilot. I was about to pull the trigger on an X a few months ago before the price cuts, but after reading more here it made me hesitant and I put it on hold.

Brief summary on what I do. Im on the road for work (90% highway driving) for 7-9 months of the year, sometimes gone for over a month at a time. And putting 25k miles on average a year on my car. That after reading of a lot of known issues here is what made me hold back so far. The doors and alignment issues I get. My service center in Knoxville Ive heard most all good thing about it, so if alignment issues with the doors or trunk were misaligned, Im confident they can take care of it. The doors can be convenient for how packed out the car can get. Paint issues, bummer but is what it is. Not a deal breaker.

The biggest red flags were the crazy fast tire wear I've been reading due in part to the camber issues from factory, as well as the half shafts wearing so easily. Working on the road so much, that is a huge concern. Being on the highway most of the time with the car riding in low, assumably speeding up that issue even more. I've seen mention of aftermarket kits that can be installed, but havent heard a lot about the newer 2023 vehicles with how much the issue is still present from factory, and also how well it works after install. No access to a garage and not trusting myself, Id have to take it to a shop in Knoxville for install and realigning in case its needed. Heard toe issues can also be a problem and cause further tire wear.

The X is the most fun car Ive ever driven, even with its quirks. But knowing all of the things Ive read here, I dont want to jump into a car with issues I know are going to become problems not that far into the future after delivery.

Any and all advice/info is really appreciated.

It seems like a perfect fit for you. I think you just always drive in standard height (or low?) to reduce tire wear. I'm on standard and do not have any issues (2017). My current tires have 60K warranty tho.

Michelin CrossClimate2 Grand Touring All-SeasonTireRack equivFront265/45ZR20 108Y XLUTQG: 640 B A
Michelin CrossClimate2 Grand Touring All-SeasonTireRack equivRear275/45ZR20 110Y XLUTQG: 640 B A

Reactions: Brkshlt
Weird because I trust other companies ADAS more than basic autopilot.
In a straight line on open highway, MB is fine. In traffic mine has been super sketchy in a lot of situations. To where I always have to disengage it, even though it has a dedicated start and stop slow traffic mode. Its incredibly jerky and breaks super aggressively. Autopilot is nowhere near perfect, but better than my current choice from what Ive experienced.
It seems like a perfect fit for you. I think you just always drive in standard height (or low?) to reduce tire wear. I'm on standard and do not have any issues (2017). My current tires have 60K warranty tho.

Michelin CrossClimate2 Grand Touring All-SeasonTireRack equivFront265/45ZR20 108Y XLUTQG: 640 B A
Michelin CrossClimate2 Grand Touring All-SeasonTireRack equivRear275/45ZR20 110Y XLUTQG: 640 B A
Ive heard riding on low is what causes the tires to where the most. Do you manually override it from going into low at certain speeds? I heard Tesla now tries to force the car into low at speed to protect the half shafts? I might be wrong though

Have you not had any of those issues? If not, how many miles have you put on to avoid it?
I have owned 8 Model X's and have had none of the issues you brought up. Tires/camber Tesla will quickly fix that if you start noticing it and tires are not that expensive. You just need to pay attention to the tires.

The only really annoying issue I had back in 2016/17 was ghosting on the windshield but they fixed that long ago.

I would also pass on FSD, it is a joke. Basic AP works great. And the charging in newer X's is super fast.

I cannot wait to sell my 2020 and get a newer one.

I have owned 8 Model X's and have had none of the issues you brought up. Tires/camber Tesla will quickly fix that if you start noticing it and tires are not that expensive. You just need to pay attention to the tires.

The only really annoying issue I had back in 2016/17 was ghosting on the windshield but they fixed that long ago.

I would also pass on FSD, it is a joke. Basic AP works great. And the charging in newer X's is super fast.

Appreciate all that!

In a straight line on open highway, MB is fine. In traffic mine has been super sketchy in a lot of situations. To where I always have to disengage it, even though it has a dedicated start and stop slow traffic mode. Its incredibly jerky and breaks super aggressively.
Thats exactly how I feel about Autopilot. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I haven’t tried the Mercedes system though.

Have you not had any of those issues? If not, how many miles have you put on to avoid it?
Most of the tire issues are with the larger of the wheels, in this case 22" and the 21" on the Model S. I have heard more about it on the Model S than the V. But, that could be confirmation bias, since that is the threads I read more. My third Model S was delivered over a year ago, no tire problems and the car was almost perfect. They only had to replace the wireless charging pad for cosmetics, and adjusted a front fender.

Instant torque and a heavy foot, it won’t matter what you do, tires will wear.

I burned through a set of tires on my Y at 17k. Down to the metal. It’s lighter and less power than an X.

The amount of power the newer Tesla have is crazy. The only solution I’ve found is keeping the car on Chill mode. That reduces tire wear significantly. :)

Hi everyone,

Been considering a LR X (less likely but also a Model S for the extra range) for a while now, and the forums have been super helpful with learning more about the car. The good and the bad haha.

Im currently in a 2022 GLE that has been fine overall, but with how much I travel for work, autopilot/FSD has really started to pull me towards an X. MB drivers assist tools and lane keeping are "ok", but nothing I can trust or rely on anywhere near even basic autopilot. I was about to pull the trigger on an X a few months ago before the price cuts, but after reading more here it made me hesitant and I put it on hold.

Brief summary on what I do. Im on the road for work (90% highway driving) for 7-9 months of the year, sometimes gone for over a month at a time. And putting 25k miles on average a year on my car. That after reading of a lot of known issues here is what made me hold back so far. The doors and alignment issues I get. My service center in Knoxville Ive heard most all good thing about it, so if alignment issues with the doors or trunk were misaligned, Im confident they can take care of it. The doors can be convenient for how packed out the car can get. Paint issues, bummer but is what it is. Not a deal breaker.

The biggest red flags were the crazy fast tire wear I've been reading due in part to the camber issues from factory, as well as the half shafts wearing so easily. Working on the road so much, that is a huge concern. Being on the highway most of the time with the car riding in low, assumably speeding up that issue even more. I've seen mention of aftermarket kits that can be installed, but havent heard a lot about the newer 2023 vehicles with how much the issue is still present from factory, and also how well it works after install. No access to a garage and not trusting myself, Id have to take it to a shop in Knoxville for install and realigning in case its needed. Heard toe issues can also be a problem and cause further tire wear.

The X is the most fun car Ive ever driven, even with its quirks. But knowing all of the things Ive read here, I dont want to jump into a car with issues I know are going to become problems not that far into the future after delivery.

Any and all advice/info is really appreciated.
In same boat. Ordered a '23 X. I have a '22 X5. I then read about the same half shaft/suspension issues with the X. Going to test drive an X and Y this Sunday. If I go through with the X and feel its worth it, I will get the adjustable camber arms (most likely) installed and get an alignment soon after I get it. There are two shops in my area that install them and can do the alignments afterwards. Also looking at an xDrive50e.

The biggest red flags were the crazy fast tire wear I've been reading due in part to the camber issues from factory, as well as the half shafts wearing so easily.

get the 20” tires (19” for Model S) and its not an issue — at all. I don’t try to get every last mile out of my tires anyway because I want safety and performance of tires in top condition. The tire price is just not an issue. over 200k miles over 3 model s and 1 model x its just never been an issue.

aftermarket kits that can be installed

good grief no. leave it alone an enjoy.

the autopilot (get at least enhanced AP for lane changes) makes road trips a breeze.

Nope, 60k warranty only applies with tires that can be rotated front front to back or your running a square set up. Read between the lines. I’ve verified this with Michelin when I had inquired for my BMW with a staggered set up. Even Michelin acknowledges its 1/2 of warranty is tires are not rotated.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Most of the tire issues are with the larger of the wheels, in this case 22" and the 21" on the Model S. I have heard more about it on the Model S than the V. But, that could be confirmation bias, since that is the threads I read more. My third Model S was delivered over a year ago, no tire problems and the car was almost perfect. They only had to replace the wireless charging pad for cosmetics, and adjusted a front fender.
That's great to hear. It seems like they've dialed it in pretty well, but the X just has so many moving parts its easy for something to go wrong it seems.
Instant torque and a heavy foot, it won’t matter what you do, tires will wear.

I burned through a set of tires on my Y at 17k. Down to the metal. It’s lighter and less power than an X.

The amount of power the newer Tesla have is crazy. The only solution I’ve found is keeping the car on Chill mode. That reduces tire wear significantly. :)
Putting it in chill mode is what I'd have to do most of the time, unless showing it off to friends 🤣
At least with mostly highway driving, there isnt that much crazy acceleration happening
In same boat. Ordered a '23 X. I have a '22 X5. I then read about the same half shaft/suspension issues with the X. Going to test drive an X and Y this Sunday. If I go through with the X and feel its worth it, I will get the adjustable camber arms (most likely) installed and get an alignment soon after I get it. There are two shops in my area that install them and can do the alignments afterwards. Also looking at an xDrive50e.
I was looking at a '23 X7 as a secondary option too. Car was super nice, but the people I dealt with were so aggressive to sell me I said I'd never buy anything from them haha
get the 20” tires (19” for Model S) and its not an issue — at all. I don’t try to get every last mile out of my tires anyway because I want safety and performance of tires in top condition. The tire price is just not an issue. over 200k miles over 3 model s and 1 model x its just never been an issue.

good grief no. leave it alone an enjoy.

the autopilot (get at least enhanced AP for lane changes) makes road trips a breeze.
That's real good to know. I appreciate that. Was def going with the 20s. Going with the base options if so since I should be able to get the tax credit. Dont need 6 or 7 seats anyway

Before you do that, remember that the door sensors are gone as of a year ago, and the front doors no longer open on their own, but they still stupidly have the motor and fight you to open them all the way. It's a blast.

Reactions: explosive0