Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A month and a half out of warranty - thousands of dollars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say - I was Ok with Tesla service while I was under warranty. There were some repairs - but nothing egregious.

My 4 year warranty expired on March 31 this year. The car is now exactly a month and a half out of warranty.
First something broke under the car and started dragging on the ground. I was quoted over $500 for a fix - which then turned out was a $200 fix which was not unreasonable.

Today I get a warning on the screen about restraint system malfunction and to schedule appt to fix. I am quoted over $1200 for a fix by Tesla.
Note - the same warning popped up when I was under warranty and mobile service came over and fixed in 2 min. The guys said it's not a real malfunction, just a faulty signal.
Leaving aside that they should fix for free - since their first fix obviously didn't work - and that $1200 for a 2-min job is ridiculous - literally not 2 months out of warranty I already have to pay thousands of dollars in repairs. That on a low-mileage car too. I'm more than a little upset at this point.

That dragging you heard was the reinforced fabric undercover which may eventually tear and need replacement. For the money, a more durable aluminum aftermarket cover is a better deal.

Your restraint error might still be covered under warranty because I believe there is a longer warranty on airbag and seatbelt related items. Tesla might just be giving you a worst-case estimate in case warranty didn't cover it.