Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A month and still no title or registration papers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine expired after pickup on Sept 29. Tesla promised to pay for any tickets.

Received it on Wednesday Fedex from Tesla. Which is weird...it usually comes from DMV I thought.

Anyway no tickets so all is good.

Reactions: groovyd
We also picked ours up on Sept. 29th. We were a week shy of 60 days when it came via FedEx.

Yeah, maybe they were just trying to defer blame, but reading between the lines based on my conversations with Tesla, it seems the DMV was pissed that Tesla is not just like every other car dealer i.e. large parking lot with inventory sitting there for weeks before moving. Somehow this meant difficulties for the DMV. Maybe true maybe not. If it were true, do not see why this would not be an issue pretty much nationwide.

Reactions: groovyd
I get the feeling it is lazyness or disorganization on the part of Tesla if my pre-delivery process has anything to indicate about it. I had 4 different delivery associates and 3 last minute delivery cancellations before actually getting my m3, and they sent the car to a delivery shop 40 miles away from me where there is one right down the road from my home in ATL.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and NoirMS
I get the feeling it is lazyness or disorganization on the part of Tesla if my pre-delivery process has anything to indicate about it. I had 4 different delivery associates and 3 last minute delivery cancellations before actually getting my m3, and they sent the car to a delivery shop 40 miles away from me where there is one right down the road from my home in ATL.
I'm gonna go with complete disorganization. I just got home to a FedEx envelope....Colorado Temp plates (I'm in FL)...so yeah... at least I'm legal again.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and groovyd
Dallas delivery in August with no registration, title or license as of Nov 28. 3 months!
Tesla emailed me yesterday asking me to ask my Sales contact for a FedEx to fill out and send back.
Have no idea what I signed at delivery but it must not have been what they needed.
Wonderful car ... how Tesla can botch this after all that work is astonishing.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Dallas delivery in August with no registration, title or license as of Nov 28. 3 months!
Tesla emailed me yesterday asking me to ask my Sales contact for a FedEx to fill out and send back.
Have no idea what I signed at delivery but it must not have been what they needed.
Wonderful car ... how Tesla can botch this after all that work is astonishing.

I took delivery in Dallas October 11 with no temporary license tags. 2 days later they e-mailed me my temporary tags, Actually I received 2 sets of temp tags to get me through December 11, but I had to print, laminate, and install them myself (at Fedex/Kinkos - pattern developing?) About 1 week later I received a small stack of papers via Fedex to sign and return for title and registration. I received my Texas plates and registration sticker via Fedex on November 21.

Where is my formal Certificate of Tile?
I have purchased (for cash) and received my Model 3 in Dec 2019 in California. Indeed, a month later I received my plates and registration. So far so good. But does anyone know, or have experience with, the Certificate of Tile? (see attached sample) . With all my previous new car purchases I have received this type formal title document, but not from Tesla.
I've checked with AAA/DMV and they say that the dealer is responsible for getting the new vehicle's Certificate Of Title for the car buyer.
It is now April 2019 and I am still waiting.

Attachments

• Title-sample.png
    Title-sample.png
    355.3 KB · Views: 470
  • Informative
Fist of all Tesla has no dealerships and therefore works under different rules. A Dealership is a legal thing that has its own legal rules. Having said that you need to get on the case of you're delivery center. Those of us in Nevada did not receive Titles until late February, even those folks, like me, who received their cars in Sept.

• Disagree
I took delivery of my M3 in mid-March 2019 and love it! It took about 4 weeks to get my license tags and registration from FedEx which is totally fine.

However, a couple of days ago I got a letter from my credit union that they have not received the title from Tesla. In Texas, the lien holder keeps the title. I have sent a couple of emails (to support, and to the Tesla sales rep (?) in Las Vegas who helped me complete the paperwork) but haven't heard back yet.

Does anyone from Texas have suggestions on how I should proceed or what I should expect? Thank you in advance!

Just an update on my experience in SC. I received a FedEx with the required paperwork about 3 1/2 weeks after delivery (SC gives one 45 days to register). I then took the paperwork with me to the local DMV and was able to register the car with no problems. I did have to pay the $500 sales tax of course since it was not collected by Tesla. A tip for anyone in SC: if you are able to transfer an existing car registration rather than registering the Tesla anew, you do not have to pay the county property tax until the bills are sent out this fall.

• Informative