Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unhappy with Tesla Tysons Corner, Virginia [OP requests thread title be marked as resolved satisfactorily]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a used 2020 Model 3 from Tesla Vienna (delivery center Tysons Corner).

The temp tags expire the day after tomorrow. I called DMV to see what is going on, and they said they have no record of a title submission.

I contacted Tesla via email with the report from DMV, requesting updated tags, and a tracking number for their submission to DMV.

Received a voice mail this afternoon while out, saying, “Got your email, and turns out, we need one more form signed so we can submit the title request, so we’re open today ’til six, and all day tomorrow if you want to come in and sign that, and of course, we’ll extend the temp tags."

Waiting 28 days to tell me this ???

Is this normal ? Have they never sold a used car before ?

I'm kind of excited that they actually responded to your email.

Not at all.
Your Tesla SC knows how to use phones, and called you back.
Consider yourself lucky!

@Joesmoe3

This is not what you likely what to hear, but put me into the camp of "its amazing they actually responded to yourr EMAIL, with a PHONE CALL, on the day after New years, with relevant information... even if its not information you wanted to here.

Took my delivery at Tysons and also started to wonder what was going on with my registration right before the temp expired. Went into my DMV online account and the new plate was there, so that is another way you can follow progress going forward. Plate arrived the next day.

Took my delivery at Tysons and also started to wonder what was going on with my registration right before the temp expired. Went into my DMV online account and the new plate was there, so that is another way you can follow progress going forward. Plate arrived the next day.
Ah yes, well practiced at checking online - and that is what prompted my action.

Everyone has a boss.

Allowing abetting this behavior (any bad behavior) by accommodating it, begs it to continue.

I have elevated this to California — will see where it lands, or I have to tuck my tail between my legs . . .

Supposedly, the dealer posted the necessary form yesterday (Thursday 04 January 2024).

Also yesterday, my temporary tag expired, so technically I was not legal dropping my wife off to work this morning.

So I requested another temporary tag.

Guy at the dealer said, “Unfortunately, we can’t extend the tag. I’m sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused."

I checked with Virginia DMV this morning (Friday 05 January 2025) and was told, “They’re incorrect. We allow two temporary tags to be issued per vehicle. If they don’t understand that, I encourage them to contact Dealer Services at DMV."

Sent that info back to Tysons Corner and California.

It's not just VA, same crap happened to me in NJ last year. No tags, temp expiring, crickets after a month. Messaged them, and they said, "oh, looks like you didn't sign some forms" - exactly the same line, what time they are open till and I can stop by and sign. Drove with expired temp tags for a week, fortunately the local cops didn't seem to care.

They no longer require these paper forms as of this year apparently, it's all electronic and auto signs once you accept delivery in NJ.

Reactions: Joesmoe3
Purchased a used 2020 Model 3 from Tesla Vienna (delivery center Tysons Corner).

The temp tags expire the day after tomorrow. I called DMV to see what is going on, and they said they have no record of a title submission.

I contacted Tesla via email with the report from DMV, requesting updated tags, and a tracking number for their submission to DMV.

Received a voice mail this afternoon while out, saying, “Got your email, and turns out, we need one more form signed so we can submit the title request, so we’re open today ’til six, and all day tomorrow if you want to come in and sign that, and of course, we’ll extend the temp tags."

When I picked up my used MS from Tysons, it came with permanent plates already. Not sure what changed in their process. This was Nov 2020.

Ah, complication in my case is that I am transferring Clean Special Fuel plates from the Chevy BOLT EV I traded in, so that has to be processed by a “special” office of DMV in Richmond. I don’t think the “missing form” is related — will see when I receive it.

Hence the need for the temp tag. I actually have the hard plates in hand - could take a chance and install it - not there yet. If the cops were to run it, it would tie back to the car I no longer have, and reported “sold."

Ah, complication in my case is that I am transferring Clean Special Fuel plates from the Chevy BOLT EV I traded in, so that has to be processed by a “special” office of DMV in Richmond. I don’t think the “missing form” is related — will see when I receive it.

Hence the need for the temp tag. I actually have the hard plates in hand - could take a chance and install it - not there yet. If the cops were to run it, it would tie back to the car I no longer have, and reported “sold."
Ah. What benefits do those Clean Special Fuel plates provide anymore?

So in the event:

I received the call this morning, and Ken said they had been delivering nearly 100 vehicles per DAY in December, and had run out of the transfer forms. Plausible.

I drove to the Tesla location, and learning point:

Tesla is incorporated as a Technology company that also sells cars, and as such, they are NOT - or only partially covered - by the DMV regulations that apply to dealerships. So while DMV was telling me, and I was insisting to Tesla that they could issue a second temp tag, and eventually, they got back to me explaining they are NOT a dealership (this is where the ideas of ‘looks like a duck, quacks like a duck . . .’ can be confusing).

So when I got the dealership that’s not a dealership, I was met by a young man, who patiently listened to why I was there - quick on the uptake, I’m guessing found some notes in my profile, and said, “I’ll be right back."

He returned with the requisite missing form, and handed me a pen, and I signed.

He then said, “I’m going to run this to our DMV dept right now,” and he literally ran off, leaving his laptop on the table.

There is a Keurig machine there, and had enough water in it to make a 12 oz cup of tea. While I let the tea cool, I busied myself transferring water from the adjacent water machine to refill the reservoir of the Keurig.

About that time, John returned, and said, “She has it, and hopefully is working it right now."

We chitchatted a bit, and at this point, I was still expecting a new temp tag.

John said, “Oh, she’s done. Your registration is here, and I’ll print it for you."

He returned from the printer, handing me the “permanent” registration for a standard plate, and said, “We’ll be mailing you the new plate right away."

Then I understood, this is an expedient, allows me to drive the care with essentially no down time, and allowed me to fill out on my own, a Virginia DMV form VSA10, application for plates - also covers transfer of existing plates.

So reasonable ending.

I sent email to everyone for whom I had email addresses at Tesla, relating the story, and praising specific individuals who had earned it.

Reactions: swt2c
Actually, I don’t know how it works - but so far, in 21 years - not a peep from Highway Patrol nor EZPASS.
I would double-check that to make sure what you're doing is allowed, because this seems to indicate it isn't:

I would double-check that to make sure what you're doing is allowed, because this seems to indicate it isn't:
Yes, that is the website, and yes, it allow single occupant use in HOV lanes on I-66 outside the beltway:

Our plate is “before 1 July 2006"

Exempts the vehicle from occupancy requirements on the following HOV lanes:

• I-64
  • I-264
  • I-564
  • I-66 outside the Beltway
  • Dulles Toll Road
    City of Alexandria HOV lanes
    Washington St
    Patrick St./Rt. 1
    Henry St./Rt. 1
Does not exempt the vehicle from occupancy requirements on the following:

• 95 or 495 Express Lanes
  • 64 Express Lanes (during operating hours)
  • 66 Express Lanes
  • 395 Express Lanes
Plates issued before July 1, 2006, may only be renewed or transferred to a newly purchased qualifying vehicle.