Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A new potential buyer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new and potential Tesla buyer. I’m just wondering if there’s anything I should know before I drop 150K Canadian dollars. on my model X.

I am aware of the cold weather up here. Will have an effect on my range that I’m not too concerned about 530km is decent on a full change and it’s better than most gasoline so I’m ahead at the moment with this idea.

Reactions: scottf200
Solution
The FSD is definitely not worth the huge price tag. The base autopilot is really good. I would not get the Yoke especially now that it's an almost $1400 price increase for some reason. Some people like it but inevitably it is going to be a pain some of the time. Around town it looks very awkward.
Don't let this stop you, but you won't be getting 530 km on a charge. My Model 3 is rated for over 500km and on a good day on the highway I can get 400km. I also went into the purchase thinking that even in winter 30-40% range loss would still leave me with enough range, but it's 30-40% off of 400km not 500km. That is highway of course. Coming from a gas car you always think of range on the highway, but highway is the worst case for an EV due to the drag. The range is better at slower speeds. It's the opposite for a gas car and that one thing is the biggest culprit for all of the naysayers IMHO.

Not sure where you are in Canada but as long as you have decent charging infrastructure for any trips you will be fine. It's just a learning curve.

I've had my Tesla for 3 years now and it's easily the best car I have ever owned, despite its shortcomings.

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
Upvote 0
@Braumin
oh sorry yes I know the Km I will get will be lower, I don’t plan on to much high-speed Hwy driving any time soon. The charging infrastructure here is actually not too bad. Plenty of places for me to charge not to mention I’ll be charging at home as much as possible as that is much much cheaper, but there are a few superchargers in my area so I can’t complain at least from what I’ve read those are the best places to go when you have the opportunity. Learning curve indeed it is huge. I’ve already taken the model Y out for test drive I’m slated for the model X this week to confirm my decision on which model I’m gonna get.

@towndrunk

Oh yes, I’m not upgrading i’m keeping the 20s not to mention for us it’s like $4500+tax
for the 22s that are being offered up here.

I also keep in my options at a minimum none of that advanced autopilot autonomous that I’ve been reading about from what I’ve been hearing it’s not worth and the 16K to put it on as well just retarded. Lol.
Anyone have any suggestions about the yoke versus steering wheel? I kinda like the yoke design but I’ve been hearing it’s not the greatest. That’s slow speeds. It’s better for the highway which I don’t plan on doing.

Upvote 0
If you haven’t yet, decide on 5/6/7 seats for your use, it makes a big difference if you have child seats, dogs, go car camping, load up with boxes, or whatever.
Decide on color and interior you‘ll be happy with.
I regret buying FSD but I’m happy with a round wheel.
You may want a second set of wheels for winter, don’t buy them from Tesla! There are plenty of nice aftermarket ones for a better price.

Reactions: scottf200
Upvote 0
If you haven’t yet, decide on 5/6/7 seats for your use, it makes a big difference if you have child seats, dogs, go car camping, load up with boxes, or whatever.
Decide on color and interior you‘ll be happy with.
I regret buying FSD but I’m happy with a round wheel.
You may want a second set of wheels for winter, don’t buy them from Tesla! There are plenty of nice aftermarket ones for a better price.
So I’m down for the 7 passenger exterior will be Black and the interior will be white.
the FSD is 16k so I was thinking going with the EAP instead for only $7500 not entirely sure if auto park and or summon will be something that I’ll utilize but it’s kind of cool though and you never know.
I did look at tires and rims the price is not to far off with Teslas a few $100 more.
but I found interesting though is that Tesla has them on their shop but they’re two different sizes that’s included in their winter package for only $4500. I’ve never seen two different size tires before on the same vehicle. Is that a typo or is that something that’s intentional I’ve never seen it before.

Reactions: IvesSM
Upvote 0
The FSD is definitely not worth the huge price tag. The base autopilot is really good. I would not get the Yoke especially now that it's an almost $1400 price increase for some reason. Some people like it but inevitably it is going to be a pain some of the time. Around town it looks very awkward.
Yeah thanks for your opinion I’m definitely leaning against getting that’s gonna save me $1300 Canadian.

Reactions: EVCollies
Upvote 0
So I’m down for the 7 passenger exterior will be Black and the interior will be white.
the FSD is 16k so I was thinking going with the EAP instead for only $7500 not entirely sure if auto park and or summon will be something that I’ll utilize but it’s kind of cool though and you never know.
I did look at tires and rims the price is not to far off with Teslas a few $100 more.
but I found interesting though is that Tesla has them on their shop but they’re two different sizes that’s included in their winter package for only $4500. I’ve never seen two different size tires before on the same vehicle. Is that a typo or is that something that’s intentional I’ve never seen it before.
I would skip EAP and then decide if you want it after you get it

Reactions: EVCollies
Upvote 0
I am a new and potential Tesla buyer. I’m just wondering if there’s anything I should know before I drop 150K Canadian dollars. on my model X.

I am aware of the cold weather up here. Will have an effect on my range that I’m not too concerned about 530km is decent on a full change and it’s better than most gasoline so I’m ahead at the moment with this idea.
I would definitely reconsider buying a Tesla... service is completely absent and they treat you like SH@#$$%T... it takes weeks/months to repair and communication is the worst ever... once you ordered the car you are treated as garbage.... check out my earlier post on this topic....

Upvote 0
I would definitely reconsider buying a Tesla... service is completely absent and they treat you like SH@#$$%T... it takes weeks/months to repair and communication is the worst ever... once you ordered the car you are treated as garbage.... check out my earlier post on this topic....
Ohhhh.... and BTW ..... Tesla has notorious problems with the 12V battery.... especially in cold/rainy environment.... chances are that your region this problems has a high probability of occurrence... (I have had this same problem in two different Model S's and it took them 2-3 weeks each time to replace the 12V battery)

Upvote 0
Ohhhh.... and BTW ..... Tesla has notorious problems with the 12V battery.... especially in cold/rainy environment.... chances are that your region this problems has a high probability of occurrence... (I have had this same problem in two different Model S's and it took them 2-3 weeks each time to replace the 12V battery)
New Member Jan 23, 2024.

Upvote 0
EAP is good but not sure it's worth $6K. I'd skip that, you can always add it later.
Ya 6k is a lot for something that isn’t really up to par.
my Atlas adaptive cruise control is more reliable. As of today I do a test drive on a 7 seater model X. I did try the EAP the only thing I did not like about it is how it changes lanes way to aggressive.

so I will definitely not get the EAP.

Reactions: WyoDude
Upvote 0
Do you have a garage or a home location where you can get a home charger installed and connected to a 60amp breaker? Given that you live in Canada don't rely on just the mobile charger, especially in the winter you will struggle to charge.
Oh ya I have a garage and I’m am planning on putting in the 60amp breaker.
this is the year to have an EV up here as we’v only have 1 week of sub -36C or -32F at night. And those days im staying in.

Upvote 0
I’m sorry you had shitty service, I can say the same thing when I purchased my VW bug 10 years ago. Pretty much everything you said happened to me as well.
i’m still shopping. I got a Hyundai Volkswagen and Kia to take a look at yet before I make my decision but I do know I’m going EV I’m getting out of gas it just matters on who I’m going to purchase from.

Reactions: njhtran
Upvote 0