Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A new potential buyer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new and potential Tesla buyer. I’m just wondering if there’s anything I should know before I drop 150K Canadian dollars. on my model X.

I am aware of the cold weather up here. Will have an effect on my range that I’m not too concerned about 530km is decent on a full change and it’s better than most gasoline so I’m ahead at the moment with this idea.

Reactions: scottf200
Solution
The FSD is definitely not worth the huge price tag. The base autopilot is really good. I would not get the Yoke especially now that it's an almost $1400 price increase for some reason. Some people like it but inevitably it is going to be a pain some of the time. Around town it looks very awkward.
Ohhhh.... and BTW ..... Tesla has notorious problems with the 12V battery.... especially in cold/rainy environment.... chances are that your region this problems has a high probability of occurrence... (I have had this same problem in two different Model S's and it took them 2-3 weeks each time to replace the 12V battery)
The new models don't use 12v batteries. They are 15.5v Li-ion batteries. Far more reliable

Upvote 0
I’m sorry you had shitty service, I can say the same thing when I purchased my VW bug 10 years ago. Pretty much everything you said happened to me as well.
i’m still shopping. I got a Hyundai Volkswagen and Kia to take a look at yet before I make my decision but I do know I’m going EV I’m getting out of gas it just matters on who I’m going to purchase from.
See my comment about the batteries, its not relevant to the new models.

I have an X and Y. The X is far more a real SUV. 5 seater is the base model. I don't recommend it. If you get an X, get a 6 or 7 seater. 6 seats, better for families with say 2-4 kids, not babies. 7 seater is better for moving stuff. 7 seats, the back two rows lay flat. 6 seats, does not lay flat.

FSD....Get the car, and before a long trip, subscribe for a month. Try it. For local driving, its a waste.

Yes 60A service is perfect, get the Tesla Wall Connector and you are perfect for home charging, summer and winter.

And be sure to use a referral code. You get FSD for free for 3 months. You can try it for free. If you need one, DM me.

Reactions: WyoDude
Upvote 0
I would definitely reconsider buying a Tesla... service is completely absent and they treat you like SH@#$$%T... it takes weeks/months to repair and communication is the worst ever... once you ordered the car you are treated as garbage.... check out my earlier post on this topic....
Service and communication are good where I’m at, so it’s not a universal thing.

Upvote 0
TBH, I used to be a Tesla cheerleader. I have MANY of the products of their ecosystem and 3 of their cars. I am now officially off the bandwagon as I've endured many many customer service issues and I keep holding on thinking they're just having growing pains but I've come to the realization that bad customer service is just part of their company culture. Now that there are so many competitors for every product they own, I'd steer far away from Tesla unless you enjoy punishment or unless they finally deliver on their pie in the sky true self driving, which we all know at this point is vapor.

Upvote 0
See my comment about the batteries, its not relevant to the new models.

I have an X and Y. The X is far more a real SUV. 5 seater is the base model. I don't recommend it. If you get an X, get a 6 or 7 seater. 6 seats, better for families with say 2-4 kids, not babies. 7 seater is better for moving stuff. 7 seats, the back two rows lay flat. 6 seats, does not lay flat.

FSD....Get the car, and before a long trip, subscribe for a month. Try it. For local driving, its a waste.

Yes 60A service is perfect, get the Tesla Wall Connector and you are perfect for home charging, summer and winter.

And be sure to use a referral code. You get FSD for free for 3 months. You can try it for free. If you need one, DM me.
Referral code where do I get those? and what are they?

Upvote 0
I see some of you are telling me to not even look at a Tesla but unfortunately, I am unable so far to find a 7-seater electric SUV, so if you have a suggestion, please let me know right now I have looked at many dealerships, and so far no 7-seater electric SUV, can find gasoline models with a 7 passenger configuration.

Upvote 0
I see some of you are telling me to not even look at a Tesla but unfortunately, I am unable so far to find a 7-seater electric SUV, so if you have a suggestion, please let me know right now I have looked at many dealerships, and so far no 7-seater electric SUV, can find gasoline models with a 7 passenger configuration.
Tesla stores (Tesla does not have any dealers) do not have stock to sell. Basically you order from the web site. Plunk down a small deposit, and they will ship the car to a delivery center near you, or deliver it to your home. Occasionally, they may have a couple units around if a sale did not complete, for any reason.

Frankly, Tesla is the only electric vehicle worth considering, unless you are going to only charge at home and never take it on a road trip. In a couple of years, that may not be the case. The non-Tesla manufacturers have mostly committed to switch over to the NACS (Tesla) charging standard. But not there yet.

Upvote 0

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link.
Once you create an account on Tesla.com that will create you your own code or if you order at a Tesla center they will create an account for you which will generate your own code and you will gain points for yourself. Only use your own code or a friends code.

You people pushing your codes is pathetic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Disagree. It's a universal thing, you're simply an edge case.
It's not universal, but Tesla's reputation for service is among the worst of all automakers. It really depends on your local service center. I've had excellent luck so far here in Minnesota at 2 service centers and a couple visits from mobile service. YMMV.

Upvote 2
Once you create an account on Tesla.com that will create you your own code or if you order at a Tesla center they will create an account for you which will generate your own code and you will gain points for yourself. Only use your own code or a friends code.

You people pushing your codes is pathetic.
Yeah, I already got a Tesla account on their app not much I can do until I actually purchased the vehicle And it’s on my account list of vehicles.

Upvote 0
So I’ve been reading a lot about these falcon doors on the model X are they really problematic or is it just no growing pains for the company? Also, I noticed Tesla themselves package sets of tires with rims with two different sizes is that standard or a must is I’ve never Put two different tires on a vehicle before

Upvote 0
So I’ve been reading a lot about these falcon doors on the model X are they really problematic or is it just no growing pains for the company? Also, I noticed Tesla themselves package sets of tires with rims with two different sizes is that standard or a must is I’ve never Put two different tires on a vehicle before
The FWDs can have issues because of the complex mechanism, but I have had 2 Xs and never had issues except slight misalignments of the FWDs. This misalignment in no way effected the operations of the door but does look a bit cheap for suck an expensive car.

Regarding the different wheel size, it is not uncommon in performance cars these days.

Upvote 0