TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Blog A New TMC Homepage

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by TMC Staff, May 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TMC Staff

Today we’ve launched an major addition to Tesla Motors Club.

While the forum will always be the heartbeat of TMC, we’ve also added a blog component as the TMC homepage. The primary aim of the TMC Blog is to be a quick one-stop-shop for the most interesting Tesla headlines, as well as a way to give more spotlight to members who have a unique passion and in-depth knowledge of the entire Tesla ecosystem.

We’ll be updating the blog regularly with news around the same topics we all love on the Forum – Tesla’s game-changing cars, the exciting future of EVs and autonomous vehicles, Tesla Energy, SpaceX, and all of Elon Musk’s big ideas.

Here’s a quick tour:

– The latest news and member posts will be published to the TMC blog homepage
    – Forums are just a click away under the Community tab or the big red button in the homepage sidebar
    – Best posts of the day are also featured in the homepage sidebar
    – Blog post comments sync to a corresponding Forum thread

The blog will also serve as a place for TMC Members to submit posts on a wide range of topics – How-to’s, Tips, Opinion, Reviews, Q&A’s, Analysis and more. TMC is truly a community of experts and we’re excited about the stories our members have to tell. If you’re interested in becoming a contributor, feel free to give us a shout at [email protected].

As always, we’re thankful to our amazing members who have helped make TMC the largest independent Tesla enthusiast organization in the world. We hope you like the new homepage!
    READ ARTICLE

• Informative x 1
  2. danny

danny Administrator

#2 danny, May 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2017
    FYI we are still tweaking the UI so you will likely see minor changes.

If you run into any issues while navigating the blog section, feel free to report.

3. scottm

scottm Active Member

Ya, I'm trying to scroll through the home page blog stuff and as I'm scrolling down, the browser jumps back to the top every few seconds... fighting my desire to browse down through the material. It's like some Ad is vying for attention up near top of page and is never satisfied you've seen it enough so it shows you again, putting the focus of the page back to the top. Very annoying.

• Like x 3
  4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.28 c528869

I see something similar. The page constantly refreshes, reloading over and over and over again...

• Like x 1
  5. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Same here, until I re-logged in using the little key.

6. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.28 c528869

About 5 minutes after I posted my last message, it loaded correctly and stopped refreshing. :)

7. favo

favo Model 3 Reservation Holder

Same experience as others not being able to scroll down and actually look at the content. Keeps snapping back to the top and loading a bunch of ads. Horrible. Also, please don't use auto-playing video ads. I won't be visiting the blog page as long as you have these kinds of ads. Super-annoying.

• Like x 2
  8. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

I also get the reload/snap back. Page is not usable.

• Like x 1
  9. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I was getting the same flashing reload to the top of the page. Very annoying and made the whole thing unusable.

A SHIFT+REFRESH of the page seems to have solved it for me. Working ok now. But, the number and intrusiveness of ads does seem excessive now - they really overwhelm the page and content IMHO.

10. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

#10 Lloyd, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Why can't I go to my first unread post any longer? I have to now search through many pages of posts to find where I last left off reading.

Edit.......

Working now, thank you!

11. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Can we perhaps get a new subscription level that skips over the homepage and just drops us into the forum?

Or make this a red-level feature perhaps?

12. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

And, is there a reason why Supporting Members see all the ads? So far, I don't see any advantage to the blog for people that actually read Tesla news on the forum. Sorry, but there's nothing new here. May be fine for the casual 'dropper by', but the 'brand new' post just now is 'ancient' from the point of view of us actually reading the forums. (The interior shot of the wood dashboard of the 3 that was just posted.)

• Love x 1
  13. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

The page reload/snapback seems to be from the login sync. Logging off and back on seem to fix it, as well as a hard page refresh. Cntrl-Shift-R on Chrome.

If you wish, you can skip directly to the forum by going to https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc

We don't allow those video type ads, but sometimes they slip through. When I see them I block them on AdSense. Reduced ads for supporting members is coming.

14. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Thanks for the update, Doug!

15. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

I have looked high and low for the purported new TMC Blog. I don't see it on the home page. Am I supposed to delete the cache or something for this to appear? Same results both in Firefox and Chrome.

16. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

OK, I see now; the entire first page is the blog. I initially imagined that this was for members to post their blogs too. Never mind.

17. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

I don't care about the site home page update, but ever since then, loading anything on the site (even clicking Like) takes minimum 10 seconds. What the heck? Is that also an upgrade, or is that something that will get fixed?

18. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

The home page thingy isn't real useful to me, though I could see where it'd be helpful for "casual readers".

However I noticed that the new "HOME" menu lists the car models in the order 3, X, S (newest to oldest) but in the "FORUMS" menu the models are listed oldest to newest (Roadster, S, X, 3). Arrrrgh!!! o_O

Bruce.

• Like x 1
  19. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

I'll have to grow thicker skin. I saw the blog post about Blog - Fisker Drops New Images of 400-Mile Electric Range EMotion and then I saw another reference to it, and I said to myself, isn't there a button I can hit to ignore this from now on so I never see it? (I think Fisker is fake, phony, and complete crap, and don't need to know anything more at all about it.) But, I realized that not having thick skin is a symptom of many of last year's easily "triggerable" children and younger adults, so I decided I better shut up and learn how to deal with it.

To update that: I notice that problem mostly during the day, during high use periods. Nights seem to work fine. I have no idea if it is a clogged Internet or a clogged TMC. This reminds me of old timeshare industrial computer room computers I grew up using remotely from home, and later, when they were connected to the Internet: I'd prefer using them at night when things were really fast.

It's now 5:21AM PT, so 8:21AM ET; saving an edit of this message took 11 seconds.

20. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

If you don't want to see the front-page blogs, you can "deeplink" into the forums and by pass the new front page entirely. My usual entrypoint into TMC is this (has been for a long time actually):

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/watched/threads

I've not experienced any unexpected slowness from where I sit so...???...

Bruce.