Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Quick and Easy QI Wireless Phone Charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kevin Bohacz

Supporting Member
Has anyone tried the Enblue Tesla QI upgrade? TESLA - Qi Upgrade Kit for Model S and X with Center Console

It's a wireless charger that plugs into Telsa's own center console phone dock and "converts" it to wireless charging. This looks like an easy upgrade. I've seen the more involved upgrades that require taking apart the lid of the console. I'm looking for something quick and easy, and this may be it!

I made my own with the these parts from Amazon. Not sure how much the Enblue kit is, but this was less than $30.

Qi Charger I read somewhere else on this forum that a Qi charger that draws too much power will cause the car to shut down the USB port, so it may be important to check the power ratings on your QI charger. This one uses 5V/1A.

USB Cord These worked well to run the cable under the tray.

Gel Pad Keeps the Qi charger and phone in place.

Last edited:
I made my own with the these parts from Amazon. Not sure how much the Enblue kit is, but this was less than $30.

Qi Charger I read somewhere else on this forum that a Qi charger that draws too much power will cause the car to shut down the USB port, so it may be important to check the power ratings on your QI charger. This one uses 5V/1A.

USB Cord These worked well to run the cable under the tray.

Gel Pad Keeps the Qi charger and phone in place.
Apparently the Enblue kit is $49.

...I read on their site that it requires the "factory docking solution"...
I assume they mean the microUSB implementation since I haven't seen Qi base adapter that takes lightning in yet (there are lots of terrible Qi to lighting receiver adapters).

Once these start arriving I am most curious as to whether you can close that lid with the new part inserted, or whether you have to take the upgrade kit out every time.

I would be interested in doing the USB-C hack in my S and placing a still assembled Choetech base in (the one I disassembled here) but I know it would have to come out every time I wanted to close the lid.

The docking station is now only standard on the P100D... it used to be standard on the 100D but no more as of 11/2017. I am not sure why. It should be standard on the entire M/X lines.. It costs $34.

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x-quick-connection-phone-dock.html

Yeah, I'm driving a loaner ModelX P90 and it has this docking station. Honestly, I cannot say I like it. I will have to take my thin cover off for the phone to sit on it and charge. What's the point of that....perhaps for those that don't use any cover. Outside of that, the wireless charger makes more sense to me.

Finally ordered one. Anyone install theirs? Feedback?

I was supposed to report back after i installed mine, which i have.

The verdict: Ehh, I'm not really sold on it.

Pros:
- No trying to line up your charging port hole while driving, you just place you device on the pad and (slowly) charge it.
- No worrying about your case not fitting inside the brackets of the factory charging port

Cons:
- Charging is sloooooooow on my iPhoneX. You can speed it up a bit by running the USB into the cigarette lighter port, but not by much, IMO.
- You cannot close the compartment door with the charging pad connected to the mini USB plug (because the pad is taller than the door). - Plus, the the pad kinda looks like a phone form a distance, so I worry about someone breaking into my car thinking the charging pad is a fancy new smart phone.
- The phone tips over whenever you accelerate rapidly.
- The brackets that come in the kit attach to the factory charging port, but both the quality of the plastic brackets and the adhesive are of sub-par quality and they feel flimsy/wobbly.

OK received mine and installed it and would agree with all issues raised by DMack. I would go further and rate this a Do Not Buy and would add to his Cons that the adhesive used to hold the phone clip to the original clip that comes with your phone kit is not particularly strong and will not stay in place in my opinion. I am probably going back to my 3D printed phone clip with spring retention, that made docking my phone pretty easy or will try one of the magnetic holders mounted on the dash with Qi Charging.

Reactions: DMack