Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A reassuring warm day.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
I've been suffering through, by far, the worse month as far as Wh/mi efficiency in the almost 14 months I've had the car looking at daily commute averages as poor as 420Wh/mi when my lifetime average at one year was 309Wh/mi. Most trips I was closer to 380Wh/mi than my usual 280Wh/mi. This has, as you all know, been a very cold winter compared to our temperate one of last year, but I was still very worried that there was something else going on contributing to my terrible numbers that have pushed my lifetime up from 309 to 316Wh/mi after 24,000 miles.

But today we had a nice day with temps in the mid-60s. I'd been looking for an excuse to do a range charge/battery balance, so I topped up and let the car sit at 99% top up for 30 min. and went for a drive of about 38 miles pretty much along my normal daily commute route. Low and behold I got about 285Wh/mi! My car isn't broken!

On the other hand, despite topping up for 30 minutes, my rated range topped out at 252 miles. I'm still fantasizing about having back at least my 262-265, if not my original 272....I'll be doing another range charge Saturday morning & Sunday morning, so maybe I'll see some improvement as the balancing optimizes...we'll see.

After seeing your thread title I immediately knew what you were speaking about before reading. I have also been bothered by my extremely high Wh/mi over this brutual cold snap. My energy usage has been off the charts with some commutes averaging in the 500 range.

In regards to battery ballancing I am also in the same boat. My 90% charge leaves me with 223-224 on average and a range charge only nets me 255. I did my first range charge in a long time to go skiing this weekend.

After seeing your thread title I immediately knew what you were speaking about before reading. I have also been bothered by my extremely high Wh/mi over this brutual cold snap. My energy usage has been off the charts with some commutes averaging in the 500 range.

In regards to battery ballancing I am also in the same boat. My 90% charge leaves me with 223-224 on average and a range charge only nets me 255. I did my first range charge in a long time to go skiing this weekend.
I think my days of 265mi range charge on the display are long gone. That's the bad news. The good news is that the 251 miles showing on the display didn't drop to 250 miles until I'd driven almost 7 miles...so, perhaps, I was actually at 258 rated or so. I'm hopeful that a couple more range charges and pretty deep battery depletion cycles for a long trip this weekend will reinvigorate my rated range a bit, as some others have mentioned.

and yea, it relieved my anxiety a bit to see that 285Wh/mi rating!

*Edit-on the flip side, temps were around 11F again this am and I saw 450Wh/mi on the drive to work...and the cycle starts again.

My lifetime 306 avg has bumped up to 317 over this winter as well with 340-350 Wh/mi averages each of the past couple of months. It's been a while since I've done a 100% charge since there are (finally!) superchargers along my road trip routes, but based on the 95% charges I've done I would be in the low 250's as well for a max charge. I haven't paid much attention to threads about this, but I wonder if one of the recent software updates has moved a small portion of the charge to a reserve to give a little cushion below "zero" rated miles.

While plugged in at the auto show this weekend I attempted to balance my batteries using 110 trickle charging. The best I could previously get at home was 246 lately and 248 if I waited a long time at the SuperCharger. I did get her up to 250 miles this weekend on the trickle charge but that looks like the best I can get.

FYI- I have 32,000 miles on my car.

I think my days of 265mi range charge on the display are long gone. That's the bad news. The good news is that the 251 miles showing on the display didn't drop to 250 miles until I'd driven almost 7 miles...so, perhaps, I was actually at 258 rated or so. I'm hopeful that a couple more range charges and pretty deep battery depletion cycles for a long trip this weekend will reinvigorate my rated range a bit, as some others have mentioned.

and yea, it relieved my anxiety a bit to see that 285Wh/mi rating!

*Edit-on the flip side, temps were around 11F again this am and I saw 450Wh/mi on the drive to work...and the cycle starts again.
The car was balancing the pack. You pulled the plug before it was complete and had calculated out the final state of charg. try and let the next ones complete.

While plugged in at the auto show this weekend I attempted to balance my batteries using 110 trickle charging. The best I could previously get at home was 246 lately and 248 if I waited a long time at the SuperCharger. I did get her up to 250 miles this weekend on the trickle charge but that looks like the best I can get.

FYI- I have 32,000 miles on my car.

I've run into almost identical results. Current milleage is a hair shy of 31,500 miles. I drive with some gusto, so my wh/m are around 340.

Range charge looks to be pretty consistently topping out between 246-249. Last night I cranked to amps down to 7 to charge at under 2kW. (245 volts time 7 amps= 1.72 kW). This morning I had 12 minutes remaining and showed 250. I hoped she would tick up to 251, but the charging completed showing the same 250. It was cold out this morning, but the garage was probably in the upper 30's.

I'm debating doing this for at least a few nights in a row. I can dial the amps down to finish topping off just prior to starting the drive for the day.

As with others here, I do not want to cause undue degradation with range-charges, but I would like to see whether I can regain part of the lost rated miles.

Andy

Take make matters worse for me, my solar panels have been partially covered by snow for about half the month.
Usually when sun hits the panels the snow just slides right off. Below 20F that doesn't seem to be the case.