Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Sig Perf reservation holder's take away from the conference call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MNX, can't you see that these are not the answers that 20,000 buyers per year will accept?

People who spend this much on a vehicle aren't going to be open to a vehicle that requires workarounds. Do you honestly think the existing 10,000 reservation holders, those who don't read these forums and most likely are blissfully ignorant to these issues, will be inclined to continue on with their purchase once they hear about this stuff in reviews? If you think so that's fine as you're entitled to opinion just as I am, but I completely disagree. I can't see non-enthusiasts outside of this forum spending this much money on something that is lacking such basic amenities, ESPECIALLY given Elon's billing of it. They are going to expect near perfection, and no amount of Tesla spin is going to part a person with that much money when it's time to buy.

I have to differ on this point being a long-time BMW driver. BMW's have long been notorious for being low on stuff like cupholders. For years, it was pretty darn clear that BMW engineers didn't think drivers should be drinking coffee while driving on the autobahn. BMW North America would beg for cupholders and BMW corporate would blow them off.

So it was a huge deal in 2000 when the new 3-series cars came standard with cupholders. All two of them. Both in front. One of which was covered by the folding armrest. You could just hear the German engineers going, "Fine, you want cupholders. Here's some cupholders. Now go away."

Didn't stop lots of people from buying their cars. BMW was selling ~500K cars a year in that timeframe.

Personally, I hope the Tesla interior turns out to be something I'm happy to live with. But realistically, if the car itself is good, I think they'll be able to find 20K buyers a year even if the interior is pretty spartan. Heck, give me a couple of cupholders and a couple of places to stash things like eyeglass cases and I'll be fine.

Having said that, the thing I really want and hope Tesla has is heated seats where the heat goes all the way up like in the BMWs. I use them all the time even when it's hot to help keep my back muscles more relaxed while driving. Like putting a heating pad on it.

I don't care if using them saps the range. That's what the 85KwH battery is for.

I have to differ on this point being a long-time BMW driver. BMW's have long been notorious for being low on stuff like cupholders. For years, it was pretty darn clear that BMW engineers didn't think drivers should be drinking coffee while driving on the autobahn. BMW North America would beg for cupholders and BMW corporate would blow them off.

So it was a huge deal in 2000 when the new 3-series cars came standard with cupholders. All two of them. Both in front. One of which was covered by the folding armrest. You could just hear the German engineers going, "Fine, you want cupholders. Here's some cupholders. Now go away."

Didn't stop lots of people from buying their cars. BMW was selling ~500K cars a year in that timeframe.

Personally, I hope the Tesla interior turns out to be something I'm happy to live with. But realistically, if the car itself is good, I think they'll be able to find 20K buyers a year even if the interior is pretty spartan. Heck, give me a couple of cupholders and a couple of places to stash things like eyeglass cases and I'll be fine.

Thanks for sharing this. And also, yeah, that's what the 85kw are for - to support luxury things like heated seats, power folding mirrors and powerful subwoofers.

My $0.02.

I don't want any of those things. What I would like is a Ferrari or Lamborghini that,

1. I can afford TCO because both of those are well over the price of any model S.
2. Has a back seat that can accommodate real people and have decent storage room.
3. Is way more reliable the either a Ferrari or a Lamborghini without constant and very expensive maintenance
4. Will never, never, never, ever require a smog inspection which then triggers #3
5. Doesn't have a transmission - as in one that shifts gears either manually or...
6. Is quiet

What's missing for y'all is a luxury edition and a performance luxury edition.

Now, a paddle shifter for the regen would be cool.

My $0.02.

I don't want any of those things. What I would like is a Ferrari or Lamborghini that,

1. I can afford TCO because both of those are well over the price of any model S.
2. Has a back seat that can accommodate real people and have decent storage room.
3. Is way more reliable the either a Ferrari or a Lamborghini without constant and very expensive maintenance
4. Will never, never, never, ever require a smog inspection which then triggers #3
5. Doesn't have a transmission - as in one that shifts gears either manually or...
6. Is quiet

What's missing for y'all is a luxury edition and a performance luxury edition.

Now, a paddle shifter for the regen would be cool.

Really? I don't need to get Model S inspected in Texas? Just get the registration sticker and that's it? If true, wow...another T-grin, if you will (Tesla grin).

Behold - TWO problems solved!

Cup%u00252BHolder%2BFail.jpg

Probably the happiest thing I'll be paying for the sticker inside the rear hatchback that says "Exempt from all federal and state vehicle emissions requirements"

There is really nothing in my life that has ever ticked me off as bad as taking a 8 year old OBD II truck in for a smog inspection, have it fail as a gross polluter, spend $1K for 5 hours of diagnostics time and have them say there is nothing wrong with it we can find. And then have the state say you have to use OEM, no aftermarket. exhaust parts and have Ford say they have been discontinued. To which the state says, oh well I guess you'll have to junk the trunk.

At least here in Massachusetts, the annual inspection covers a lot more than just emissions: lights, horn, general structural integrity (no bumpers lashed on with duct tape!), etc. So I'm sure that I'll still have this little pleasure trip each year. The only reward will be the confused look on the tech's face as he tries to figure out where to insert the exhaust tester...

That's a pain Robert...In Ontario, both hybrids and EV's are exempt...

At least here in Massachusetts, the annual inspection covers a lot more than just emissions: lights, horn, general structural integrity (no bumpers lashed on with duct tape!), etc. So I'm sure that I'll still have this little pleasure trip each year. The only reward will be the confused look on the tech's face as he tries to figure out where to insert the exhaust tester...

Ha, in Maine it's just physical integrity and outside Cumberland County you can spew as much crap into the air as you like. Also, in Cumberland County they exempted motorcycles and diesels from the emissions testing. Oh, and garages (companies that make money by repairing cars) do the inspections. Anyone see a problem with Maine's inspection system?

My Roadster inspection was far easier than I thought. There's a button that's "this is an EV" of sorts which skips the emissions test ...
as for what else is covered.. My Suby failed inspection due to missing lug nut as well as a dead bulb (of two) for the rear license plate. It also failed emissions because the battery had died and insufficient mileage had been covered since jumping the car so the onboard computer didn't have enough data to satisfy the emissions test.

LOL! In Maryland, the car only gets inspected when purchased (I forget if that's a new-car-only thing, possibly). The only other thing is every-two-years emissions . . . ta-da, no more having to do that, methinks (or just go in and have the person say "why do they make you come in when there's nothing to do, they should change that"--I don't know how EV-savvy Maryland's MVA is...).

Luxury or Sport? If luxury, then fix it.

Luxury vs sport:
I read many of these posts and I feel there is a major aspect to this issue many are missing. Because this car is so amazing and it is engineered so well to perform better than any sedan on the market, it clouds the major question of: Is this supposed to be a sports car, or a luxury sedan. I feel, the Model S is being marketed as a luxury sedan with amazing performance. If this is the case, then it is still a luxury sedan and thus the car should have the standard interior comforts described in previous posts. This car can't just work for the east coast or west coast. It has to work worldwide. Let's not forget that it is a symbol of an emerging industry and it cannot be anything but spectacular, for the industry's sake.

I spoke to a tesla rep on the phone and he said Elon is not reving up production quickly because he wants them to get the quality right, before mass producing. Obviously he understands what this car means to the future of EVs. If there's anything that goes wrong with quality from the begginning, it could mean very bad news.

With that in mind, for someone like myself, some of the interior just won't work. I live in Texas, and the distance from one place to the other is something no one understands until they live here. When I travel to the east coast, I will drive from one state to the other. One major city to the next and it's a complete joke. I barely have time to get bored. In Texas, different story. My daily commute to work is 1-1:30 hours each way and YES, I like my coffee in the morning like most Americans. Sure it's not important for people that want peel out all day every day in their Model S and don't "need" it or see the functionality, but for most everyday people these things are not "options." If this car is going to be marketed to the luxury buyer (which is the only one who can afford it), then the interior design MUST step up. When I go out with my wife at night, she may check her make-up/lipstick in the vanity mirror before getting out. Wow! What a concept! If my kid drops something in the back seat at night. Guess what? I'm gonna turn on the light and look for it. No, I'm not gonna use my cell phone (I can't believe someone actually wrote that as a solution) and search in the dark with a little light and feel around. I'm supposed to be inside a LUXURY car!

These are not revolutionary things. What these people are asking for is every things that already come standard in most cars because just about EVERYONE needs them. Maybe not ALL the time, but when they do, those things should be there and comfortably! You can't just stick a cup holder by someone's elbow (and at the expense of their arm rest might I add) and say "there's your cup holder! See, we're luxurious!"

If this car is going to be marketed to anyone other than the enthusiasts, then this must change. The enthusiasts don't care. That's fine. To survive however, this company will need to cater to more than 12,000 people (some of which are on this forum and are already seeing the glaring faults in interior design).

LOL! In Maryland, the car only gets inspected when purchased (I forget if that's a new-car-only thing, possibly). The only other thing is every-two-years emissions . . . ta-da, no more having to do that, methinks (or just go in and have the person say "why do they make you come in when there's nothing to do, they should change that"--I don't know how EV-savvy Maryland's MVA is...).

Kendallpb,

Maryland isn't doing too badly, EVs are excepted from emissions testing, can get an HOV sticker (VR-335), and have a 2k tax credit (VR-334)...

Peter

Luxury vs sport:
I read many of these posts and I feel there is a major aspect to this issue many are missing. Because this car is so amazing and it is engineered so well to perform better than any sedan on the market, it clouds the major question of: Is this supposed to be a sports car, or a luxury sedan. I feel, the Model S is being marketed as a luxury sedan with amazing performance. If this is the case, then it is still a luxury sedan and thus the car should have the standard interior comforts described in previous posts. This car can't just work for the east coast or west coast. It has to work worldwide. Let's not forget that it is a symbol of an emerging industry and it cannot be anything but spectacular, for the industry's sake.

I spoke to a tesla rep on the phone and he said Elon is not reving up production quickly because he wants them to get the quality right, before mass producing. Obviously he understands what this car means to the future of EVs. If there's anything that goes wrong with quality from the begginning, it could mean very bad news.

With that in mind, for someone like myself, some of the interior just won't work. I live in Texas, and the distance from one place to the other is something no one understands until they live here. When I travel to the east coast, I will drive from one state to the other. One major city to the next and it's a complete joke. I barely have time to get bored. In Texas, different story. My daily commute to work is 1-1:30 hours each way and YES, I like my coffee in the morning like most Americans. Sure it's not important for people that want peel out all day every day in their Model S and don't "need" it or see the functionality, but for most everyday people these things are not "options." If this car is going to be marketed to the luxury buyer (which is the only one who can afford it), then the interior design MUST step up. When I go out with my wife at night, she may check her make-up/lipstick in the vanity mirror before getting out. Wow! What a concept! If my kid drops something in the back seat at night. Guess what? I'm gonna turn on the light and look for it. No, I'm not gonna use my cell phone (I can't believe someone actually wrote that as a solution) and search in the dark with a little light and feel around. I'm supposed to be inside a LUXURY car!

These are not revolutionary things. What these people are asking for is every things that already come standard in most cars because just about EVERYONE needs them. Maybe not ALL the time, but when they do, those things should be there and comfortably! You can't just stick a cup holder by someone's elbow (and at the expense of their arm rest might I add) and say "there's your cup holder! See, we're luxurious!"

If this car is going to be marketed to anyone other than the enthusiasts, then this must change. The enthusiasts don't care. That's fine. To survive however, this company will need to cater to more than 12,000 people (some of which are on this forum and are already seeing the glaring faults in interior design).

Welcome to the site!!

I think it's really both. A luxury sports sedan (similar to the M5, S7). It's not just a luxury sedan (5/7 -series, A6/A7, etc.) It's not just a sports sedan (CTS, TL, G35, IS, etc.). So, for the change being plunked down, I think some expectations are justified.

Luxury vs sport:

If you read through some of the post here as well as the blogs on Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles you will see that your concerns have already been addressed. You will have your vanity mirror and rear seat lighting. And if the current cup holders are not sufficient, additional console add-ons will become available.

BTW welcome to the forum.