Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to pull the trigger, any known/rumored changes in the 3 upcoming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4. Would prefer a standard key fob
I just don't understand Tesla's fascination with doors and handles. Give me a door with a key fob that works 100% of the time like our LS460, our TLX, etc. An unreliable Bluetooth interface is not an improvement as keyless entry is a solved problem! Tesla's specialty is in batteries and drivetrains. Continue focusing on that!

I had an older Model S before my current M3P. The only thing I miss was the ability to pop the frunk or power hatch with the FOB especially the hatch. Otherwise the Bluetooth interface works great and it's nice not having have another fob on my keychain.

I've had a couple of the 300ZX twin turbo cars years ago. Once you take delivery of your P3 you will forgot all about the Z. The great thing about the M3P is it's quiet and no one hears the acceleration like a ICE car. However it also works against you because you loose the typical perception on how fast you're going since there is no exhaust or the usual engine noise.
Had a chance to test drive a P3 today before placing my order. Wow! No doubt it would blow my old Z off the line. There is a small "turbo lag" ramp up to the acceleration compared to the P100DL (test drove that in ludicrous mode) but then it pulls very strong up to 80 mph or so. The P100DL was actually too violent of a launch for me. After 5 or 6 I was a little dizzy (vertigo -- damn you old age!). Anyway, the P3 has plenty of pep for now.

PS. Top end speed is really no issue where I live now as there's nowhere to go much over 100 with any safety (even with my low standards). I used to do the "bridges loop" in Seattle occasionally after work, late at night, when I had my 91 Z in the early 90s. Go west on I-90 from the Eastside to Seattle then up I-5 to 520 and back to the Eastside. I'd routinely get to 130+ on the straight, wide, and flat I-90 bridge (1.5 miles long, perfect!). Low-end acceleration is what I want now and the P3 delivers that.

Did you see what happened at BMW? CEO just resigned a month after saying he didn't see any demand for BEV's, and then we saw their overall sales are down a ton (15% year over year). Tesla sold over twice as many 3's as BMW sold vehicles, and that is really only a partial year for Tesla.

I'm amazed at how many of my peers are drilling me with questions about the car. Many were shocked because they know I'm an all out gear head (I have 8 cars, two are classics, one is a race car, another sports car, a big truck for towing, etc.) and they think of Tesla as an environmentalist's car. People are intrigued by the things, I think as more people know people who own them, they'll be more intrigued. We are at the start of the hockey stick curve, IMHO.
Me too. I have one friend seriously thinking of a purchase this month and two acquaintances who were drilling me today...surprised me because I wouldn’t have thought them to be potential buyers. The word is out.

Not unusual for Tesla price changes coming right after Federal Tax Credits were reduced.

Might happen again, but the Tax credits are not that much anymore.

Just order the car when you want it. Will never be able to game the order date to get the best pricing. Too many factors involved.

I agree @ $7.5K it was an important % factor, know it'll only be a $1.8K difference at best

I just read an interesting piece about how Tesla is essentially offering a price drop for M3 leases starting 7/1. The thinking is that that for EV leases the Lessor is paid the incentive directly and this often impacts what they charge for down payment + Monthly payment. Because Tesla did not change the DP or Monthly payments starting 7/1, Tesla is essentially receiving $1875 less for each leased vehicle which represents a price drop/ less profit for Tesla.

I wonder if they will raise leasing costs to compensate for this incentive reduction or if they'll actually roll out price reduction for M3 purchases seeing as they've effectively done so for those who are leasing.

Thoughts?

Well, the cost on leasing was kind of terrible up to now, especially with no option to buy at the end...so I'm not sure making the terms "slightly less terrible" on the lease tells us anything about what to expect regarding purchase price.

Well, the cost on leasing was kind of terrible up to now, especially with no option to buy at the end...so I'm not sure making the terms "slightly less terrible" on the lease tells us anything about what to expect regarding purchase price.
Totally agree with you on the terrible pricing but I do think it's interesting that regardless Tesla is willing to take less money for leased vehicles now. I wonder why they would decide to do that and not offer same on purchased vehicles unless, like you've pointed out, the lease pricing is so bad that demand is very low.

Well, ultimately the market is going t ok dictate the lease price. Tesla may play around with it to figure out what they can get. But also, the biggest factor is residual. If resale values are really high, please rates will fall.
The market should dictate price of lease and purchase. I can see your point about high resale values dropping lease prices but it’s interesting because Tesla has said they would keep all leased M3s for their Robotaxi network so they prob wouldn’t be resold.
Demand does seem to be high generally speaking but I haven’t seen any numbers laying out what portion of sales are leases so this could easily all be poor lease demand.