Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to pull the trigger, any known/rumored changes in the 3 upcoming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very informative. Thanks. I'm leaning towards the blue on white combo ... but would really like a blue on cream/tan but that isn't available. I doubt they'd introduce a new seat color anytime soon.

You could always look into third-party seat covers. Googling reveals several companies selling products available, but I don't know much about them -- they could be great, terrible, or anything in-between. I seem to recall Tesla's manual cautions against using seat covers that would block the side air bags, so be sure if you go this route to get something that's safe.

Ventilated seats would be a nice option.

That's the sort of update that would require some engineering work. That's not to say it couldn't happen, but I wouldn't expect it at this point in the product cycle.

A few random comments on the purchase:

1. Acceleration, acceleration, acceleration (hence my handle)
I'm not looking for top end speed but rather the convenience of instant acceleration. It amazes me that even the AWD3 is quicker than my old '91 300ZX-TT. The Z would blow the P3 away at higher speeds but there's nowhere near here to play with that. I've only test driven the LR but it was fun darting around in traffic. I considered the P100D but I don't really want such a large vehicle, plus it saves $30K or more.

2. No transmission (no gear shifting)
A close second to #1. I'm sick of clunky transmissions. Even our LS460 isn't smooth. It's a dream on a long highway trip but not in start/stop traffic on hills, etc. The LR has a silky smooth drivetrain ... once I got used to the regen effect.

3. I'm a little concerned about the 20" inch wheels
Roads are pretty good around here but there is construction going on, so getting rattled about isn't great. Plus, there's the issue with wheels getting bent on a rough patch.

4. Would prefer a standard key fob
I just don't understand Tesla's fascination with doors and handles. Give me a door with a key fob that works 100% of the time like our LS460, our TLX, etc. An unreliable Bluetooth interface is not an improvement as keyless entry is a solved problem! Tesla's specialty is in batteries and drivetrains. Continue focusing on that!

Anyway, we had dinner with an old friend/coworker/boss from San Diego and she has two Teslas (S and 3). I'm now committed to the P3 with blue on white. I'll place an order next week.

PS. She's concerned about my natural tendency to speed. I got the 300ZX-TT back when I worked with her and got four tickets in the first month! Almost lost my license. What do you think will happen when I'm driving a car that's almost twice as quick??? :)

I'm not looking for top end speed but rather the convenience of instant acceleration. It amazes me that even the AWD3 is quicker than my old '91 300ZX-TT. The Z would blow the P3 away at higher speeds but there's nowhere near here to play with that. I've only test driven the LR but it was fun darting around in traffic. I considered the P100D but I don't really want such a large vehicle, plus it saves $30K or more.

A close second to #1. I'm sick of clunky transmissions. Even our LS460 isn't smooth. It's a dream on a long highway trip but not in start/stop traffic on hills, etc. The LR has a silky smooth drivetrain ... once I got used to the regen effect.

Roads are pretty good around here but there is construction going on, so getting rattled about isn't great. Plus, there's the issue with wheels getting bent on a rough patch.

I just don't understand Tesla's fascination with doors and handles. Give me a door with a key fob that works 100% of the time like our LS460, our TLX, etc. An unreliable Bluetooth interface is not an improvement as keyless entry is a solved problem! Tesla's specialty is in batteries and drivetrains. Continue focusing on that!

Anyway, we had dinner with an old friend/coworker/boss from San Diego and she has two Teslas (S and 3). I'm now committed to the P3 with blue on white. I'll place an order next week.

PS. She's concerned about my natural tendency to speed. I got the 300ZX-TT back when I worked with her and got four tickets in the first month! Almost lost my license. What do you think will happen when I'm driving a car that's almost twice as quick??? :)
^ Yes, probably....

Perhaps another question is whether the price will actually INCREASE significantly if the tax credits are extended, as appears to be being considered by congress. I sort of doubt it will happen, but if it does it'll likely be retroactive, meaning everyone who bought this year will be getting $7500(or maybe $7000) back...

You could always look into third-party seat covers. Googling reveals several companies selling products available, but I don't know much about them -- they could be great, terrible, or anything in-between. I seem to recall Tesla's manual cautions against using seat covers that would block the side air bags, so be sure if you go this route to get something that's safe.

That's the sort of update that would require some engineering work. That's not to say it couldn't happen, but I wouldn't expect it at this point in the product cycle.
I checked into this (don’t care for black seats and I think white ones are fine for boats) and Katzkin sells a full range of leather aftermarket interior sets for the Model 3. The only hitch is they want you to bring the car to an installer, rather than having the dealer manage the install (had this done for my Prius V and it came out fine). Probably better this way given how Tesla’s SC’s and stores are these days. Check with the company to see you how much of a PIA this might be: Custom Leather Auto Interiors & Leather Seats | Katzkin
Robin

Perhaps another question is whether the price will actually INCREASE significantly if the tax credits are extended, as appears to be being considered by congress. I sort of doubt it will happen, but if it does it'll likely be retroactive, meaning everyone who bought this year will be getting $7500(or maybe $7000) back...

wow that would make my 35K SR $27.5K! Any links/ help us petition for this?

You can buy a key fob on the Tesla web site. I have one and it works fine.

I'm not saying the chance of the EV tax credits changing this year is 0, but it's a number awfully close to 0.

I'm assuming you are talking about the Drive America Forward act? The only consideration congress gave it was to send it to the senate finance committee in the senate and the Ways and Means one in the house to have 0 further action taken on it in the last 3 months in either chamber.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

The AWD and P3 are noticeably quicker than the LR you test drove. For a reference I traded a C7 Corvette for a M3P and don’t miss the power, the M3P is faster. Sometimes I miss the handling and exhaust note of the Corvette though.

The M3D and M3P are still pretty quick at higher speeds but doesn’t feel as torquey up there due to lack of gears. The 30-70 acceleration is ridiculous though thanks to instant torque and no sluggish transmission to deal with.

Reactions: FoverM
With the news that Musk eventually wants to stop selling cars at these prices, I expect prices to stay the same and eventually go up. Buy now.

I realize there was a tax credit phase out last month but look at the Tesla Model 3 on the move in the passenger car segment. The Model 3 is a mainstream vehicle now and continues to take market share. I would be very frightened of Tesla if I were the competition and the Model Y and Pickup are not even out yet. The market is transitioning to EVs faster than the competition anticipated and they have no charging network. oops. Asleep at the wheel, pardon the pun.

tm3month.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: Dana1
Very informative. Thanks. I'm leaning towards the blue on white combo ... but would really like a blue on cream/tan but that isn't available. I doubt they'd introduce a new seat color anytime soon. But it's funny that you mentioned the base color change because I've been giving some thought to the pearl white exterior due to the heat down here in ATL. I run a small software company out of the house so I won't be driving to work daily but the summers get ugly quick even on a run to the grocery store! Ventilated seats would be a nice option.

Exact same boat. I wanted blue/cream, and was looking at that in an S, but the ergonomics of the S weren't going to cut it. Really want tan or cream or some non-white, light interior. I don't trust white to keep looking white, and the heat with black interior is just too much. I ended up going white wth black interior, and am getting some high end tint (3M Crystalline) installed in a few weeks. From ATL, too, originally from a little south of there (Griffin), but the heat is pretty bad up here in Knoxville, too.

I'm honestly a bit surprised that white is the option instead of a tan or cream. Maybe the volumes from the larger cars guided Tesla that way. But, whatever.

Reactions: FoverM and neroden
I realize there was a tax credit phase out last month but look at the Tesla Model 3 on the move in the passenger car segment. The Model 3 is a mainstream vehicle now and continues to take market share. I would be very frightened of Tesla if I were the competition and the Model Y and Pickup are not even out yet. The market is transitioning to EVs faster than the competition anticipated and they have no charging network. oops. Asleep at the wheel, pardon the pun.

Did you see what happened at BMW? CEO just resigned a month after saying he didn't see any demand for BEV's, and then we saw their overall sales are down a ton (15% year over year). Tesla sold over twice as many 3's as BMW sold vehicles, and that is really only a partial year for Tesla.

I'm amazed at how many of my peers are drilling me with questions about the car. Many were shocked because they know I'm an all out gear head (I have 8 cars, two are classics, one is a race car, another sports car, a big truck for towing, etc.) and they think of Tesla as an environmentalist's car. People are intrigued by the things, I think as more people know people who own them, they'll be more intrigued. We are at the start of the hockey stick curve, IMHO.

Boy, if AutoPilot, Auto Highbeam, AutoWipers and few other things worked as robustly as Phone as Key did I’d be ecstatic.

It’s one of my favorite features. My guess is you own an Android phone.

I've had a couple of the 300ZX twin turbo cars years ago. Once you take delivery of your P3 you will forgot all about the Z. The great thing about the M3P is it's quiet and no one hears the acceleration like a ICE car. However it also works against you because you loose the typical perception on how fast you're going since there is no exhaust or the usual engine noise.

Reactions: FoverM