Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Absolute Minimum Paint Care

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@voip-ninja Haha. While your math is sound, the cost of occasional car washes are not going to get quite the same scrutiny from my wife!

I think I’ve got a plan. I’ll look into ceramic, but most likely will just try to keep up with waxing. I’ll probably sell it with 120k+ miles on it, so I just don’t want it to look awful those last few years.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Last edited:
I am in the same boat as you. No time, or desire, to wash/wax regularly.

Ceramic is expensive to the point where I’m just going to pay $100 per quarter to a detailer to wash/wax/clay bar. Better results, and that’s 2.5 years of detailing, which is about as long as a ceramic coating lasts (conservatively)

Thanks. So on the trend of “minimum effort,” is there a wax or sealant type that is particularly easy to apply?

Like a lot of enthusiasts I have tried any number of waxes and sealants over the years. Honestly, I keep gravitating back to some of the basics. As an example, I really like Meguiars cleaner wax. It is a one-step cleaner and wax which addresses stuff like water spots and mild oxidation (which you will have with those trees...we have trees too), and then leaves a protective wax. I do wish the wax itself lasted a bit longer, but I hate applying a wax over a suface with water stains and mild oxidation, and it's a great option when you don't have the time for a separate polish step. Meguiars also has their NXT 2.0 wax which I do think lasts longer, but has zero cleaning properties (easy to apply and remove though). I sometimes alternate between them.

Collinite 845 is another decent option for longevity, but again no cleaning properties. Finally, most recently I have used Blackfire's Total Polish & Seal (I think it is called BF900 one step now). The latter has a cleaner and sealant (like the Meguiars cleaner wax...the cleaner isnt't as good, but the wax lasts longer)...I think it really needs to be applied by machine for the best results.

All,of the above can be found on Amazon.

As a tip, once the pad is primed, use less product than you think you need for easier removal.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: spesler
My plan is DIY ceramic for about $50 and 1/2 a day of labor, but that's certainly not the minimum. I may never get to the ceramic with the way I' starting to dislike tesla. :p

The bottom line is the more time and care you take the better.

2 bucket method is good if washing with a hose!

I find it a bit overkill if you have a foam cannon and pressure washer though, pretty much becomes the one bucket method. Unless you use the second bucket for wheels, but my first bucket is usually pretty clean still as your blasting off most of the gunk with the pressure washer.

This guy has some good tips (you don't need to follow everything, or buy crazy expensive AMMO products).

I did a quick wax on my tesla today, there's so much glass and the car is small so it really does not take too long. Under 2 hours.
Cleaning the interior glass is going to be the hard part! the 3 towel method works really well. I bought some expensive glass towles but haven't got to using them yet. I think the cheap yellow costco ones I got work fine for glass though.

This towel is very soft and I was able to dry my entire car with it. I think it's a keeper. Although I guess I have to find a way to wash it after every or every other use?
I also have an absorber which works great for my non tesla cars. I just wash it by hand after every use and put it back in the box because you store it wet!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BD5F19A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think it's better to pay for a partial PPF than ceramic even if it costs more. Ceramic works like a longer lasting wax.

Minimum should be the two bucket method, plus an occasional wax, but again the more you put into it the longer it will last.

Like a lot of enthusiasts I have tried any number of waxes and sealants over the years. Honestly, I keep gravitating back to some of the basics. As an example, I really like Meguiars cleaner wax. It is a one-step cleaner and wax which addresses stuff like water spots and mild oxidation (which you will have with those trees...we have trees too), and then leaves a protective wax. I do wish the wax itself lasted a bit longer, but I hate applying a wax over a suface with water stains and mild oxidation, and it's a great option when you don't have the time for a separate polish step. Meguiars also has their NXT 2.0 wax which I do think lasts longer, but has zero cleaning properties (easy to apply and remove though). I sometimes alternate between them.

Collinite 845 is another decent option for longevity, but again no cleaning properties. Finally, most recently I have used Blackfire's Total Polish & Seal (I think it is called BF900 one step now). The latter has a cleaner and sealant (like the Meguiars cleaner wax...the cleaner isnt't as good, but the wax lasts longer)...I think it really needs to be applied by machine for the best results.

All,of the above can be found on Amazon.

As a tip, once the pad is primed, use less product than you think you need for easier removal.

Good luck!
I polished a 3500 today, used meguiars ultimate polish and a random orbital, then finished up a bottle of NXT 2.0 until it was gone but then finished up with the ultimate wax. Removed a ton of light scratches! I can't believe how good it looks for a 13 year old truck. I think storing it in the shade all those years made a huge difference! The ultimate wax felt a little thicker and came off easier than the NXT 2.0, I think I will stick with it.

Fast finish is supposed to be great too!

As for micro fibers not drying well.... They are not all created equal that is for sure! I would swar by my absorber or the meguiars version but that towel above is my new favorite! However it needs special drying care! I read this thing works pretty good too, but for some reason it wears out?
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-X20...qid=1540698916&s=Automotive&sr=1-1&ref=sr_1_1

I am in the same boat as you. No time, or desire, to wash/wax regularly.

Ceramic is expensive to the point where I’m just going to pay $100 per quarter to a detailer to wash/wax/clay bar. Better results, and that’s 2.5 years of detailing, which is about as long as a ceramic coating lasts (conservatively)

If you can find a good detailed who will wash, clay bar, polish and wax your car for $100 then more power to you.

Minimum will depend on the color of your car. White or light silver will need far less care than a black car.

If you have bird droppings from parking under the tree, that will up your maintenance, as the droppings need to be removed ASAP to prevent etching into your paint.

For me, minimum means dusting off with a California Duster when possible to remove surface dust and tree pollen. Takes less than a minute and freshens it up enough to extend time between washings.

If parking outside I will wax at least once a year (twice is better) and hand wash with Aero WashWax all to give it some protection. I use a microfiber mitt on an extension pole and can do the whole car in 15 minutes. Use the WashWax all when drying, as it take little time or effort.

Do the wheels with a separate cloth, as the brake dust is abrasive and will scratch paint.

Teslas don't depreciate, at least not like any other car. Just look at the insane prices Tesla wants for CPO Model S's, you could buy a new AWD 3 for that!
This got me thinking. I was gonna buy a model S 2 years ago instead of waiting for the 3. I ended up leasing a Chevy volt.

AP 1 S60 for $74k. If I traded it in today.. how much would Tesla give me? I looked at prices on their website and my best guess was $45k

That is nearly $30k on a 2 year period. Thank god I waited for the 3.

Reactions: alloverx