Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC climate control question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner, quick question on AC settings.

If I am driving and have the AC on (which is almost daily here in FL) and I then park the car, does the AC turn off or do I have to manually turn it off each time I park?
I prefer to have turn AC off when I park (turn off) the car.
Is there a setting to adjust this?

Thank you in advance.

When you say AC, do you mean climate control system, or do you mean the blue A/C button? The climate control system will stay on until you exit the car. The blue A/C button will stay enabled until you disable it.

Just set the Climate Control to Auto and your preferred temperature. The Climate Control (AC and heat) will only remain on if you set the Climate Control to remain active when you exit, else when selecting Dog Mode on exit or Camp Mode. The only other time the Climate Control would turn on the AC is if Cabin Overheat Protection is set to run the AC to maintain the cabin temperature below 105F or when preconditioning the Model Y using Scheduled Departure or using the Tesla app.

You may hear pump, fan or compressor noises after you exit the Model Y; this is the Model Y cooling the battery pack.

Reactions: Andy7 and Ogre
Climate control shuts off when you leave the car and turns back on when you return. If you want to change this, you will have to turn it off manually and back on manually when you return.

As @jcanoe suggests, it’s easiest to just leave it on auto and not worry about it.

To clarify, if I leave the AC on Auto, it will turn off when I park the car automatically correct?
And then go back to previous setting when I restart the car to drive?

Thank you
Correct. Actually the Climate Control will turn on when you open the door of the vehicle. You can also turn on the Climate Control remotely using the Tesla app (recommended) just before you plan to drive by tapping the fan icon on the main screen of the Tesla app or the On button or temperature setting displayed on the Climate Control screen within the Tesla app. The Tesla app on your phone will notify you when the passenger cabin of the Tesla vehicle has reached your preferred temperature.

Reactions: Ogre
New owner, quick question on AC settings.

If I am driving and have the AC on (which is almost daily here in FL) and I then park the car, does the AC turn off or do I have to manually turn it off each time I park?
I prefer to have turn AC off when I park (turn off) the car.
Is there a setting to adjust this?

Thank you in advance.
It will turn off. But, if you have cabin over heat protection enabled it can either leave the fan on or even turn the ac on.

Just make sure if you do arrive somewhere, say at home, turn the outside air on so you can dry the condensers so you don't get a smelly moldy smell

Related question. I noticed that the climate control turns off when I park but when I park at home, the climate control doesn't seem to turn off. Is this a known behavior when parked at Home? Sort of like the car doesn't lock itself, no Sentry mode, etc.

Just set the Climate Control to Auto and your preferred temperature. The Climate Control (AC and heat) will only remain on if you set the Climate Control to remain active when you exit, else when selecting Dog Mode on exit or Camp Mode. The only other time the Climate Control would turn on the AC is if Cabin Overheat Protection is set to run the AC to maintain the cabin temperature below 105F or when preconditioning the Model Y using Scheduled Departure or using the Tesla app.

You may hear pump, fan or compressor noises after you exit the Model Y; this is the Model Y cooling the battery pack.
My AC remains running after I exit the car. How do you NOT set the Climate Control to remain active when you exit?

As long as cabin overheat is set to off don't worry about any fans.
The car will turn off and not make any sounds 10-20 min later so don't worry guys!

Ever since I installed the Hepa filter I've had zero moldy smell issues. I've been forgetting to allow fresh air inside the coils sometimes but when I do you could tell there is still moisture in there as it's very humid air! So don't forget!

How can you distinguish between the AC running and the battery coolant pumps/fans running to cool down?
When I open the door I can still feel the cold air coming out of the vents. I think that my problem is that I have bad seat sensor since the red seat belt indicator stays on after I've exited the car. I have to turn off my headlights and climate control to save the battery . I have Mobile Tesla coming by next week.