Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC weak in the MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Notice MY AC is pretty weak compared to my previous cars and wife’s car. I am coming from a Prius and wife has a Rav4. Both cars I can set the car at 74 degrees and be comfortable on a warm day. The MY is sporadic at times. Usually it’s 70-72 degrees to be comfortable. Occasionally I would need to go 68-70. Is this coming amongst Y owners or should I get car looked at?

Are you sure you guys didn't have a defective unit? There was a thing for a while where the temp sensor was bogus, and people got it replaced and was good to go.

I have been in 100+ weather and had my AC on 70 and been 100% cool. I tinted the 4 side windows, but not the windshield nor the roof.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I have all the windows tinted on the car including windshield and glass roof. I’m from SoCal. Weather here lately has been 65-70 degrees. Took a trip to the local mountains with my wife and son in the car. At one point it just got warm and stuffy in the car during the ride. Turned on the AC at 74 degrees and wasnt doing much. Had to drop it down to 69 or 70 degrees to make it some what comfortable. I have never dropped the temp below 70 degrees on all my previous cars.

• Informative
Reactions: James88
I have all the windows tinted on the car including windshield and glass roof. I’m from SoCal. Weather here lately has been 65-70 degrees. Took a trip to the local mountains with my wife and son in the car. At one point it just got warm and stuffy in the car during the ride. Turned on the AC at 74 degrees and wasnt doing much. Had to drop it down to 69 or 70 degrees to make it comfortable. I have never dropped the temp below 70 degrees on all my previous cars.

if it’s 70 out and you put AC at 74, you turned the heat on. What would you expect to happen?

I generally keep my AC at 72. The exception is when the air temp is 70-75... in which case I set to 68. For exactly the reason you mentioned.

if it’s 70 out and you put AC at 74, you turned the heat on. What would you expect to happen?

I generally keep my AC at 72. The exception is when the air temp is 70-75... in which case I set to 68. For exactly the reason you mentioned.

I disagree. If I set the car AC to 74 degrees, I expect cool air to come out regardless what the temperature is outside. Yes it can be 70 degrees out, but if the sun is out and glaring on to the car, the car will get warm internally.

I can tell a huge difference of AC output between my wife’s car (Rav4) and the MY regardless of outside weather temp

Reactions: cusetownusa
The only car I’ve ever owned where I was truly satisfied with the climate control’s ability to keep me comfortable without me fiddling with the temperature setting was my 2004 Mini Cooper (with black interior, no less). None of the others seem to have their solar heat load sensors calibrated in such a way that I’m comfortable. My MY is no exception.

That said, the A/C on my stock window tint MY works just fine. Last summer, we had a very unusual hot and humid spell in coastal SoCal, and at one point I was driving the car in the middle of the day, the temperature in the shade was 113 F, the sun was burning down...and the interior of the MY was 72 (set point was 68). Yes, the fan was blowing close to full force, and yes, the efficiency took a hit - about 360 Wh/mi instead of 270 Wh/mi - but it was coping adequately with very atypical coastal SoCal but fairly typical AZ/TX summer conditions. (I lived in Texas for several years and the all-time record high in my area was 113, and typical summer was high 90s to low 100s, 40% RH. Hottest day I’ve ever experienced - not with my MY - was 120 in Ridgecrest CA. That’s effing hot.)

So I’m wondering if the complaint here is the A/C won’t get cold enough even if you go full manual on the climate control, or if you have to, say, crank the CC down to 65 to get adequate cooling on a hot day, or...?

I always precondition the cabin in my Model Y even if only for 5 minutes. In winter I precondition for at least 10 minutes up to 30 minutes; driver's seat heater set to medium heat or maximum heat. (My Model Y does not have the steering wheel heater.)

Summer cabin temperature set to 73F; winter cabin temperature set between 69F or 70F. HVAC set to Auto. On the warmest days, .i.e. above 90F, I may set cabin air recirculate to On.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
So if you put climate to, lets say 68 , do you get cold air regardless outside temperature?
My friends with MY2020 told me AC never gets cold like in their ICE cars no matter what temperature they select.

And im talking about my friends in Arizona, CA and NV where is very hot during summer months

I always precondition the cabin in my Model Y even if only for 5 minutes. In winter I precondition for at least 10 minutes up to 30 minutes; driver's seat heater set to medium heat or maximum heat. (My Model Y does not have the steering wheel heater.)

Summer cabin temperature set to 73F; winter cabin temperature set between 69F or 70F. HVAC set to Auto. On the warmest days, .i.e. above 90F, I may set cabin air recirculate to On.

Problem is outside heat. You can experience it only in AZ,NV,CA and TX. In AZ we have over 100F every day in summer. NV too.

Problem is outside heat. You can experience it only in AZ,NV,CA and TX. In AZ we have over 100F every day in summer. NV too.
If I lived in the sun belt I would add glass tint all around to the Model Y, install the sunroof screen and try and park out of the sun. I might even go for the white interior (blue jean dye transfer aside.) I would precondition for at least 10 minutes.

Humidity plays an important role in how a certain temperature feels. On most ICE cars the A/C will be always active, even when you're heating up the cabin. Most EVs on the other hand save energy and switch off the A/C when it's not needed to maintain temperature. That can lead to higher humidity, making the same temperature feel much warmer.

Solution is to manually override the A/C to on.

The only car I’ve ever owned where I was truly satisfied with the climate control’s ability to keep me comfortable without me fiddling with the temperature setting was my 2004 Mini Cooper (with black interior, no less). None of the others seem to have their solar heat load sensors calibrated in such a way that I’m comfortable. My MY is no exception.

That said, the A/C on my stock window tint MY works just fine. Last summer, we had a very unusual hot and humid spell in coastal SoCal, and at one point I was driving the car in the middle of the day, the temperature in the shade was 113 F, the sun was burning down...and the interior of the MY was 72 (set point was 68). Yes, the fan was blowing close to full force, and yes, the efficiency took a hit - about 360 Wh/mi instead of 270 Wh/mi - but it was coping adequately with very atypical coastal SoCal but fairly typical AZ/TX summer conditions. (I lived in Texas for several years and the all-time record high in my area was 113, and typical summer was high 90s to low 100s, 40% RH. Hottest day I’ve ever experienced - not with my MY - was 120 in Ridgecrest CA. That’s effing hot.)

So I’m wondering if the complaint here is the A/C won’t get cold enough even if you go full manual on the climate control, or if you have to, say, crank the CC down to 65 to get adequate cooling on a hot day, or...?

my major complaint is that after having a model 3, the y’s AC is pathetic from our experience. The M3’s AC works great, can point the vent in any particular location when needed. But the MY doesn’t have the ability to point towards the top(I sit fairly high). No matter how high I point/adjust the vent, it only goes as high as the steering wheel column.

also it doesn’t pump out as much air as the M3. I have to set the MY fan to 7 to match the M3 which has a setting of 3. And the setting at 7 makes so much more noise that’s it’s irritating when you’re just trying to cool down a little bit.

Also, temp-wise, for us a setting of 67 seems to be equivalent to a setting of 70 in the M3. Just crazy how different the two are when supposedly 70% of the parts are shared.